Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I should try to take some pictures of this, for comic value, if nothing else. Some of these aren't great shots, but it's still a pretty good assessment of the sort of shape this thing is in. :D

From afar. Lighting's a bit funky here.

I have NO idea what caused this - tyermites in the wood? A former owner's spiked bracelet? Either way, there are a ton of little indentations all over the body above the pickguard.

Neck cracks? Yep, we got 'em. Also of note, the weird scuffing from, well, something, near where the long crack ends. And, on another note, the wood that practically gleams with tung oil, applied coat by coad over several years.

Low aperture, sighting down the neck. The nut is a little rusty, but the neck is straight as an arrow, with just a hint of bow, with even, fairly low action.

Another shot of the body. The edges of the body, as one would expect on a 19-year-old guitar, are pretty beat - especially the lower horn.

From the other side. More dings on the body edge. The two big ones close together on the upper horn are how I first ID'd this as the old mutt "Korn UV" on Ibanezregister, restored by a former owner. That probably explains the shape it's in. :lol:

The back of the body. Tough to see much from here, but note the important part - the neck itself is free of damage, and even though it's a bare tung oil finish, you can see the wood gleaming in the light.

A close-up of the jack. Not much needs to be said here.

...and one last shot from above.

The guitar is beat to hell, but I'm a Strat/blues guy from way back, so I dig that. And, more to the point, Chris and a few other guys from around here can attest that this thing plays like a dream and just sings.

Fuck 'case queens,' this is how I like a guitar. :yesway:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I kinda miss gigging the Soloist, since it needed about four more years before it looked as awesome as that. :metal:

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
I too like my guitars to be played. You can safely bet that my purple RG7 will be played when it gets here; I'm not going to leave it in the stand for fear of damaging it.

:agreed:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You see the end result of years of drunken abuse :lol:
:lol: Who knows, man - this is pretty much what it looked like when it got to me. :lol:

Mehtab - it's just a neck joint finish crack, happens all the time to Ibanez guitars. It's perfectly stable.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Very nice. I love guitars that are "well loved".

I still say that would look awesome with an aged pearloid or tortoise pickguard.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
:agreed: Gorgeous guitar, Drew. Sounds great in all the clips I've heard of it too.

All of my guitars have some dents, scratches, or other damage on them (even the J. Custom I just bought a month ago), but my RG1527 definitely is the most beat up of them all. Probably about 15 paint chips and dents with a tremolo that's rusted to hell with the knife edge on the high E chipped so much that I wonder how it even still works, a big chunk of the wood missing from the headstock and part of the body, nut rusted so much that it's almost red, and screws that have been unscrewed so much that they're barely in there :)ugh:). But it's still the guitar I use the most.

Guitars are meant to be played. And, if they are played, they are bound to get a little beat up. It's just the way things are. :cool:

I guess the best response to seeing a guitar like that is, "You must play that guitar A LOT."

1 - 20 of 52 Posts