Metal Guitarist Forums banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
Some of my business bank accounts have similar tools where it will categorize expenditures. I just try not to look at anything, because it all looks scary.
This is the PERSONAL finance thread, it's for us peasants, stop :fawk:ing it up with all your cork sniffing preferential business benefits. :monocle:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
These days skilled labor > inexperienced fluffy degree.
This. My bro-in-law (wife's brother) is a welder, and makes what I make, with zero college loan payments. My other bro-in-law (sister's husband) makes MORE than I do, after he went through trade school (electrician), again, with zero college loan payments.

Seriously... why the hell did I go to college. :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
This. My bro-in-law (wife's brother) is a welder, and makes what I make, with zero college loan payments. My other bro-in-law (sister's husband) makes MORE than I do, after he went through trade school (electrician), again, with zero college loan payments.

You live in Ohio. Your experience isn't exactly typical. :lol:

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts

No doubt. Things are changing. Opportunities for specialty trades, equipment operators, and some service professions are starting to corner the job market. I think we're going to see a radical change in our upper level education down the road, but that's probably a whole different topic.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Kind of necro'ing this thread but I was poking around today and see very few paid attention to Max's suggestion, relating to Chris' original question about budget tracking, of Mint.
I 'use' Mint, in the sense that I have an account, and get periodic emails about them having issues sync'n with my bank. :squint:

I like it, but I really wish you could set up weekly budgets with them, instead of just monthly. With monthly, I set a budget, stick to it for about 10 days, forget about it, then go and blow $400 at the rippers! Thanks for nothing Mint...

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
I 'use' Mint, in the sense that I have an account, and get periodic emails about them having issues sync'n with my bank. :squint:

I like it, but I really wish you could set up weekly budgets with them, instead of just monthly. With monthly, I set a budget, stick to it for about 10 days, forget about it, then go and blow $400 at the rippers! Thanks for nothing Mint...
That's too bad man. I've had a really good experience. I guess I'm not what you would call a heavy budget tracker so I find the monthly more than adequate. I could certainly see how some would like more frequent tracking. So many people still live paycheck to paycheck. Still, for a free app it's pretty cool.

BTW-Forgot to mention there are mobile apps for Mint as well.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I should probably check out Mint just for pure curiosity, if nothing else - I assume the idea is you sync it with all your various checking/saving/credit accounts and it tracks your budget and tells you when you're fucking up?

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
I grew up with financially irresponsible parents, so I was never graced with any knowledge of credit and such.
After my parents divorced my mom eventually got her credit good. In 07 she co signed a loan for my car which I now paid off. But a year into that loan I took some credit card offers which I fucked up nice. It taken to court over some etc... Paid a couple off whatever.
Last year I decided to try again, and joined credit karma which said my score was a 590.
They suggested a capital one card, which I got accepted for. The limit was 300, but better than nothing.
I spent and paid on that thing never missing a payment and paying way over the requirement. In November they upped my limit to 2300.
I've been crazy about paying ahead of time and never being late etc.
Now my ck score are up in the high 6's even tho I know those scores don't matter as much.
I still have some bad stuff from years ago in my credit report, but I'm trying my best to make it rite.
Not sure where to go from here tho.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Honestly a few lines of credit utilized correctly will have you well on your way. It won't happen overnight, and the credit limit increase is very good sign already.

They don't necessarily look at all the damage you have done; it's also the damage you could do, so your next jump won't be to $100k.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts