Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went through 3 of them just tracking guitars for my band's EP, and we've only got 4 songs! :lol:

Any alternatives? Obviously the Jazz III XL comes to mind but I didn't really dig'em. The Petrucci size felt perfect, right between a standard Jazz III and an XL.

Anything that's just as pointy, a bit bigger than a Jazz III, that doesn't wear down almost immediately?!

·
Nope
3,563 Posts
Edit: Didn't see the bigger than a Jazz III part.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not particularly man, no :shrug: I have a firm pick attack, yeah, but it's pretty standard.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
Try the Ultex Jazz III XL.

Edit: Oh, wait, the Petrucci pick is already made of Ultex. How the hell are you wearing down Ultex so fast, man? Are your strings made of razor wire or something?

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not as bad as it sounds. When I say wear down, I just mean they lose their uber pointiness really quickly. They become quite round quite quickly. I just don't remember having this problem with Jazz III's :shrug: I'd go back them (in fact I think I will, for the time being, until I find something better) I just preferred the size of the Petrucci ones.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Yeah, the Spike Jazz-sized picks are great, their larger ones are probably worth a look for you.

Picks do wear, though - I'd almost give you the opposite advice, find something you like the feel of that's cheap and don't worry about durability, and just buy a gross of them and burn through them. :lol:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Before I tried out Ultex I read they were indestructable.

Some guy said he had actually been using the same pick for about a year.

It must have been as sharp as a ballbag because after a week the pick I used was already starting to go dull.

Ultex is decent but I think it's a little over hyped. I actually get a longer life out of Tortex for some reason.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I like the tone of Ultex, but they don't last any longer than Tortex. I went with the Clayton, whose finish is much better, IMO

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
I second drew.

There is no pick save maybe steel/other metals that will keep a good point for any appreciable time. Just get loads of something you like.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts