Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is that you need a bank of 10 freakin' patches for every guitar on your rig. :scream2:

Spent some time today making a bank for my CS4, and then copied it all to the next bank up for my 'Sherm. It's pretty crazy just how different they sound, and how patches that are aces on one guitar can be utter ass on another. The Carvin is pretty bright, the Sherm isn't, so patches that tame the high end on the brighter guitars sound flat as hell on the warmer ones, etc.

It's maddening. :lol:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Why not celebrate your guitars' differences and let each guitar do what it does best? I dial in sounds that work great on my main guitar, but when i play my Strat or Danelectro through the same patches, they sound like a Strat and a Danelectro through the same patches. They're different guitars and i WANT them to sound different. I EXPECT them to sound different. And i'm okay with that.

·
Oxygen to CO2 converter
1,957 Posts
Why not celebrate your guitars' differences and let each guitar do what it does best? I dial in sounds that work great on my main guitar, but when i play my Strat or Danelectro through the same patches, they sound like a Strat and a Danelectro through the same patches. They're different guitars and i WANT them to sound different. I EXPECT them to sound different. And i'm okay with that.
^This... that why I put together guitars with different configurations. Different tones.

·
18,790 Posts
Yeah, I tend to dial in tones that sound great for all my guitars, but in different ways. It takes time and tweaking, but I can usually do it. I do have some specific patches that work best for specific guitars and brings out certain qualities in them, but in general everything's based around the same core sounds.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don't play with the amount of gain that I do bro. I play thrash and power metal. That kind of philosophy works great for boutique and/or "rock" sounds, but tones that are a wall of awesome on one guitar become a wall of fizz on another when you get into big metal tones.

Bright guitars end up too bright, dark guitars get too dark, etc, etc. I have 300+ patches available on $2000 modeler attached to a $3000 amp. I'll be damned if I'm not going to use the fucker for all it's worth. :lol:

·
18,790 Posts
You don't play with the amount of gain that I do bro. I play thrash and power metal. That kind of philosophy works great for boutique and/or "rock" sounds, but tones that are a wall of awesome on one guitar become a wall of fizz on another when you get into big metal tones.

Bright guitars end up too bright, dark guitars get too dark, etc, etc. I have 300+ patches available on $2000 modeler attached to a $3000 amp. I'll be damned if I'm not going to use the fucker for all it's worth. :lol:
Valid points, tweak away :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's extra awesome, btw, is that I get to double my efforts, because I have a set of direct to DAW patches, and a set that goes to my amp. :lol:

I picked the wrong timeframe to stop drinking...

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I make it a habit to mask my lack of talent by crafting patches that leave people scratching their heads. Or their asses.
That's why I use so much gain, sir! :lol:

Edit: I'm talking about standing in the room, jamming by myself patches. I love tones like Devildriver and LoG, and before someone says "blah blah they actually turn the gain down and multitrack blah blah", unless there's something out there that can clone me and play the same thing as I do so that I can multitrack myself, lots of gain in the patch itself is where it's at. :yesway:

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Chris said:
What's extra awesome, btw, is that I get to double my efforts, because I have a set of direct to DAW patches, and a set that goes to my amp. :lol:

I picked the wrong timeframe to stop drinking...
I'm in a similar boat, as my goal is to have 3-4 banks of identical-ish patches, tweaked for direct/FRFR, power-amp and cab, 4 cable method using the amp's tones where appropriate, and possibly a separate one for recording rather than live.

All with balancing in piezo sounds on some patches (which will go to a separate output on the banks that are using a standard guitar cab or for recording, and blended to the one output on the direct banks for "simplicity").

Except I didn't give up drinking :drew:

(the name of that emoticon made that sentence awkward to type)

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Its a good problem to have.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Wirelessly posted (G2 The Googlinator: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17 Skyfire/2.0)

I typically use certain combinations for certain music. Like the 2 charvels with AT-1 pickups work better for hard rock or just all around tones, the guitars with Breeds are more for the metal, and the high output guitars are in low tuning for the br00tz. :lol:

I use mostly the same 3 banks of 4-5 presets for everything. :)

·
Socially Awkward
328 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/6.24556/24.902; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Yeah, it must absolutely suck to have a wide enough variety of guitars for this to constitute a problem. ;-p

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.