Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...is they make you REALLY appreciate how atmosphere-sensitive guitars are. :lol:

I've spent a couple nights this week tracking, and without fail I always start off by checking my tune against my (heh) Peterson, and then generally re-check every couple takes as well. Also without fail, first thing in the evening when I first pick up the guitar, it'll have gone slightly but measurably sharp or flat. And, so far this has been fixed bridge guitars with finished necks - my Sherman 5-string and my PRS SE mostly.

It's kind of annoying. Just changes in temperature and humidity are enough to make a guitar shift maybe an 8th to a 10th or a step. :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
...is they make you REALLY appreciate how atmosphere-sensitive guitars are. :lol:

I've spent a couple nights this week tracking, and without fail I always start off by checking my tune against my (heh) Peterson, and then generally re-check every couple takes as well. Also without fail, first thing in the evening when I first pick up the guitar, it'll have gone slightly but measurably sharp or flat. And, so far this has been fixed bridge guitars with finished necks - my Sherman 5-string and my PRS SE mostly.

It's kind of annoying. Just changes in temperature and humidity are enough to make a guitar shift maybe an 8th to a 10th or a step. :lol:
I agree. I really like your tuners, Drew. By the way, when are you guys coming out with the BBS-1 metronome? I've been waiting for months!

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Wait until you start tracking harmony parts, and find yourself retuning for specific areas of the neck. :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wait until you start tracking harmony parts, and find yourself retuning for specific areas of the neck. :lol:
Easy solution - don't write harmony parts. :D

Chris, that's kind of creepy. :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:lol:

It fits the stuff you guys write better than the stuff I do, though to be fair I DO have a couple harmony lines I'll be recording, so that's just me being flippant. :lol:

Harmony's just kind of a cliche in the shred world, so I'm trying to not overdo it. And anyway, I'm not really much of a shred guy anyway - a lot of my stuff is too bluesy for that, and harmonies all over the place would just feel weird.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While I'll freely admit that the single biggest issue with my album may very well be that it doesn't sound more like Iron Maiden than it does, it's still worth noting that stylistically Division has a lot more in common with Maiden than I do. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
While I'll freely admit that the single biggest issue with my album may very well be that it doesn't sound more like Iron Maiden than it does, it's still worth noting that stylistically Division has a lot more in common with Maiden than I do. :lol:
What I read here is that your album has room for creative improvement. :yesway: Clearly, you need me to harmonize all of your parts for the DrewVsVince showdown. :idea:

·
Registered
374 Posts
i don't think you require a strobe tuner to measure that. any good quality tuner will also show you that the guitar has gone slightly out of tune after playing it the first few minutes due to the strings and wood getting warmed by your hands.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i don't think you require a strobe tuner to measure that. any good quality tuner will also show you that the guitar has gone slightly out of tune after playing it the first few minutes due to the strings and wood getting warmed by your hands.
I mean, we're not talking huge changes, but rather the difference between in tune with the strobe lines stable, and when I put the guitar down and pick it up the next morning, suddenly there'll be a slow downward drift on most of the strings.

I don't know how exactly to quantify it, but considering a Strobe is good to 1/100th of a cent, we're talking off by fractions. :lol:

I will absolutely DREAD tracking leads with my Universe. :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Vibrato DOES make everything better (see for example Pete's entire badassed recording output, and weep for the sheer beauty of his vibrato), but I'd like to START in tune. :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I will absolutely DREAD tracking leads with my Universe. :lol:
Humorously enough, floating trem guitars weather environmental changes way better than fixed bridge variants. I guess the springs and strings balance each other out as they expand/contract together, but whatever the reason, my Floyded V is substantially more in tune when taken from the case. Often, it requires no tuning at all.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Humorously enough, floating trem guitars weather environmental changes way better than fixed bridge variants. I guess the springs and strings balance each other out as they expand/contract together, but whatever the reason, my Floyded V is substantially more in tune when taken from the case. Often, it requires no tuning at all.
Heh. That is kind of ironic. :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts