Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone! :wavey:

Some of you are familiar with my ET Guitars baritone neck project. I have recieved the neck, and it truly is a beauty. I have no intention of insulting this neck with a my horrid bare RG7321 body, so I've pulled the trigger on the other half of the project: the RG7 body. :D

Specs:

• 7-string RG shape (no monkey grip)
  • routed for 2 humbuckers; 1 potentiometer (3/8" hole); 1 toggle switch (1/2" hole) - in the JPM layout (volume and switch reversed)
  • AANJ
  • high grade quilted maple top
  • black burst (this style)
  • back and sides painted black
  • purple dye finish (this shade) (thanks, Rob_I! :wub:)
  • glossy clear coat
  • drilled for strap locks
  • fixed bridge and ferrules installed (I will send these - they're of the Hipshot variety )
  • black cavity covers and screws
  • black AANJ screw set
You may notice that I haven't stated what the back wood is to be. That's a decision that I'm leaving up to Ernie. I asked him which wood should yield the most "balanced" sound. I've also asked him about the positioning of the bridge pickup; several replacement RG7 bodies (from another maker) have been routed with the bridge pickup too far from the bridge.

By the end, it should look something like this... (thanks Randy! :wub:)

To all those who might want to know the price, I ask that you contact Ernie directly for a quote. He's great to deal with.

My experience with ET has been nothing less than stellar. Ernie has always been very helpful with any questions that I had, and is very quick to respond, too. I'm sure that this half of the project will be an equally big success. :metal:

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With Ernie's help, I have decided to opt for an Australian Ash body (plus the quilted maple top). :cool: He told me that it's not the prettiest of woods, but that it sounds great. The looks aren't an issue anyway; it'll be painted black. :metal:

He also told me that he can route the bridge humbucker wherever I want it to be. :woot:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
With Ernie's help, I have decided to opt for an Australian Ash body (plus the quilted maple top). :cool: He told me that it's not the prettiest of woods, but that it sounds great. The looks aren't an issue anyway; it'll be painted black. :metal:

He also told me that he can route the bridge humbucker wherever I want it to be. :woot:
Bring it round once you've got it done. I'll buy you dinner :yesway:

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:ugh: Moving swiftly on...

Ernie's words on Australian Ash...

Now, the Aussie Ash will be a good choice I think for this project overall. But
let me clarify this - this timber is not actually Ash... its called that because its
the nearest equivalent in looks and structure. Its just a native aussie tree that
grows in the cooler southern mountains. Its really hard, straight grained and fairly
dense. I gotta say it brings a unique tone. Like the closest you can describe
the feel and tone is mahogany with a very thick maple top. But thats only
approximate... like it actually has more clarity than that combo, by itself. Its
a timber that I will try and market and let people enjoy for what it is. We also
have a few large Aussie companies who use it to build acoustics, they use it for the
front and sides, sometimes backs, and it has this nice clarity and ring. But
they used some select pieces that look ok, as they used a natural finish.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
That Australian Ash sounds interesting. I'm curious how this will all sound once you have it all together.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
IF does sound like mahogany with a thick maple top it shouldn't be too bright.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
oh...lol....OK it should be pretty bright but IMO that really helps baritones out. :D

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A small update:

Ernie and I have been talking and we're going to enhance the grain on the quilted maple and add a tinted lacquer. Apparently, this should give a more even purple colour to the top. :)

The ETA for this body is late January. :woot:

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
A bundle of fr00t from stringsdirect.co.uk arrived in the post...

:metal:

Those join my black Schaller strap locks and pickup screws/springs.

I also have the following on order from wdmusic.co.uk -

CTS 500K potentiometer x 2 (wdmusic.co.uk)
Switchcraft panel jack (wdmusic.co.uk)
black 3-way toggle switch (wdmusic.co.uk)

:woot: shotgunn (on SS.org) has just informed that all of the following parts have arrived with him and that they will be shipped to me tomorrow.

Hipshot black Grip-Lock tuning machines x 7
Graph Tech Black Tusq nut blank
Graph Tech String Saver saddles
Hipshot black O-ring knob x 2

I'd like to give the guy a shout out to all of you guys. He's been an absolute pleasure with whom to deal (clumsy English? :scratch:), and I urge you to give him a shout regarding any parts or projects which you might have in mind. :yesway:

Unfortunately, Hipshot will be at NAMM, and so will be unable to process Elysian's order (Hipsot bridge baseplate and ferrules to be sent straight to Ernie) for a number of weeks.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts