Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah? How so, Mike? In terms of plot, were you disappointed, happy, etc?

I gotta admit, I really enjoyed the ending. Made sense from the first book's initial premise. Almost believable in terms of reality today.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I was happy with where it went - and it made sense when you got the history. I was just surprised that Donald and Juliette ended up being both heroes AND villains multiple times. It was refreshing to see a story where there were no easy answers.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I get you. Complexity. More realistic, too. Sometimes stories can do the moral-ambiguity-try-to-make-the-right-decision thing too much, but I think this achieved a fine balance between noble (and human) intentions and real world difficult choices.

I loved Juliette as a character. Her tenacity and kinda "fuck you" attitude was something I could relate to. Solo was an interesting character, too. I mean... they punish prisoners by locking them AWAY from other prisoners! We need other people that bad! :lol: So to be so deprived of human company for so long is a really crazy thought experiment.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
The arrogance displayed by the Senator at first comes off as almost comic-book villain-esque, but manages to take on another, more human quality during "Shift". Overall, the level of complexity is excellent - realistic without being Byzantine.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I read this as well, loved it. Bleak and depressing, but a fantastic story. I also really liked the way they tied the ending up.

Plus, any book with an Evil IT Overlord is right up my alley. :lol:

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well said. LIke a fine aged whisky. :lol: Well-balanced.

Thing is, you could almost see some narcissistic psychopath with 'noble intentions' actually trying something like this. I think a lot of people who pursue power that relentlessly to make it to the top display that kind of maladjustment far more than statistically average. Like some House of Cards shit.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, DAMN bleak, Chris. But it just keeps you turning the pages.

Hey! You check out that Mark Lawrence series? The Broken Empire? Holy hell, what an amazing story. With such a cocksucker protagonist! That seemed right up your alley.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Yeah, DAMN bleak, Chris. But it just keeps you turning the pages.

Hey! You check out that Mark Lawrence series? The Broken Empire? Holy hell, what an amazing story. With such a cocksucker protagonist! That seemed right up your alley.
Yup! Read all of Lawrence's stuff, liked it a bunch. I like Jorg the best of the protagonists, but the follow up books with Jalan and Snorri were awesome too. Looking forward to the finale of that one as well, the ending of the last book (Liar's Key) was great. :metal:

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^ What he said. :agreed:

Jorg was the CRAZIEST 'good guy' ever. :lol: What a bastard. He made Wolverine look like Mary Poppins on her best day in comparison.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts