Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished reading this fascinating article, featuring Ray Kurzweil (yeah, the same guy whose last name is on the back of some vintage synthesizers) and a movement called The Singularity, which explores the outer reaches of the effects of exponential technological growth on human existence.

They believe that true artificial intelligence is likely coming in the next 10-15 years, and that the merging of man and machine will happen by 2045. It's a fascinating article that raises all kinds of philosophical, sociopolitical and ethical questions. Well worth a read!

Singularity: Kurzweil on 2045, When Humans, Machines Merge - TIME

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm also thinking that humanity will be divided... there will be people who will embrace this, and people who will fight against it. And as the article said, any effort to suppress the technology will just drive it underground.

Cyborg civil war? The Animatrix?

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll be in my mid-70s in 2045, so hopefully i'll be around to welcome our new cybernetic overlords.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
i want to live forever. if i have to be transferred to metal, even better. I am waiting for this to happen and will embrace the shit out of it if i am still alive when/if it ever does.

fucking dying. live forever.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
I don't know if I'd really like to live forever, but the next 200 years really look like they could be awesome (if we can keep the nukes from the kooks). :)

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
It's important to approach claims like these with a healthy dose of skepticism and critical thinking. I find his claims dubious at best, and it also appears that he has received quite a bit of criticism from within the scientific community.

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
He puts a lot of stock in hardware. Computers, regardless of how quickly they evolve, only do what we program them to do. I'm positive that it will take some next level shit for programmers to harness or replicate something as complex as the human psyche. AI needs to learn (better than what is available now, or in the next 30 years imo) as well - if it is to be integrated with people in order to make these fantastic 'cyborgs'. Point being, it'll be more than some IF/THEN statements and Pentium XXII processors to accomplish this vision by the calculated time frame he presents.

:2cents:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts