Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scar Symmetry has been one of my favorite bands since their very first album and I bought most of their albums immediately after they were released, but after Christian left the band and they brought in two "sub-par vocalists" to fill in for Christian, my enthusiasm for them weakened quite a bit. I heard a few tracks from their 2011 album The Unseen Empire and didn't even bother buying it. But about a month ago I was in a used CD shop, looking for CDs to buy and I saw "The Singularity Phase 1: Neohumanity" and decided to buy it. I honestly wasn't expecting much, but it's just as catchy as the classic albums, the growls and clean vocals are way way better than the previous two albums (but still not as good as Christian in my opinion), and the riffs and solos are sweet.

Anyone else check it out?

Here's my favorite song from the album:

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Love Scar Symmetry! I personally really enjoyed "The Unseen Empire."

I think every song on that album is great in some manner.

Unfortunately, for this new album I have not heard a single song that has caught my ear.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Love Scar Symmetry! I personally really enjoyed "The Unseen Empire."

I think every song on that album is great in some manner.

Unfortunately, for this new album I have not heard a single song that has caught my ear.
I guess it might come down to taste because I felt the exact opposite.

I've only heard two songs off of The Unseen Empire, but they really didn't leave any impression on me, which is unusual considering Symmetric in Design, Pitch Black Universe, and Holographic Universe are among my all-time favorite albums and I really enjoyed Dark Matter Dimensions, although I had (and still do have) some issues with it. This new album The Singularity: Neohumanity, I think, is a masterpiece on par with their first three albums where every single song is extremely catchy and has very awesome riffs, leads, and vocals.

Then again, maybe if I bought The Unseen Empire, I'd find the other songs to actually be pretty sweet and the two songs that didn't leave an impression on me might grow on me. It's happened before. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
I'll need to give this a proper go. The first three albums are absolute masterpieces in my eyes, but I just really don't like the clean vocalist they have now. I like the growls, but the new clean guy always sounded like he was singing out of his range 90% of the time.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll need to give this a proper go. The first three albums are absolute masterpieces in my eyes, but I just really don't like the clean vocalist they have now. I like the growls, but the new clean guy always sounded like he was singing out of his range 90% of the time.
Agreed 100%. I didn't like the new growls on "Dark Matter Dimensions," but the growls have gotten WAY better on their newest album. The clean vocals are also way better than they were. He still sometimes sounds like he's singing out of his range, which you never got with Christian, but there's a lot less on that on the newest album.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I'm gonna have to read through all this thread because I just started listening to these guys a bit after they popped on my Pandora.

I keep hearing potential but have yet to hear the one song that really grabs me.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm gonna have to read through all this thread because I just started listening to these guys a bit after they popped on my Pandora.

I keep hearing potential but have yet to hear the one song that really grabs me.
Here are a few of my favorites just scattered from their various albums:

From their first album (Symmetric in Design):

(this is one of my all-time favorite songs by them and actually one of my all-time favorite songs by anyone)

From their second album (Pitch Black Progress):

(I think this is a decent song, but not one of their best, but it is their most famous song and their first music video. I definitely recommend watching it)

(Another one of my favorite Scar Symmetry songs. I love all the vocals on this one.)

From their third album (Holographic Universe):

(Their second music video. Not one of the best songs on the album, but maybe one of the catchiest)

(Another one of my all-time favorite songs, not just by Scar Symmetry but period)

After the third album, their first singer (Christian Alvestam) left the band and they brought in two singers to cover the vocals: one clean singer and one growler/screamer. Ironically, even though they split Christian's job into two separate people, neither of the singers were anywhere as good as Christian. This is something that almost every single review of their fourth album (and many later albums as well) mentioned, how the new singers couldn't match Christian's vocal skillz.

From their fourth album (Dark Matter Dimensions):

(This is overall a decent album, but nowhere as good as the first three)

I would post something from their fifth album, The Unseen Empire, but it's the only album of theirs I don't own.

From their sixth album (The Singularity Phase 1: Neohumanity):

(I already posted a song from this album up above, but this is the song that several people have mentioned as awesome. This album is the first album with the new singers that I think is actually REALLY REALLY good)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.