Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
:agreed:

I actually read through my student loan papers before signing. It's fucking terrifying.

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
it really is scary, but right now, there isn't much else to do about it. college is a good thing to go to, but they keep raising the prices... students in our position aren't getting raises to keep up with the inflation, much less enough to pay for school.

sigh

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
But one could argue that easy, free-flowing, and guaranteed money combined with students who have had copious amounts of "everyone deserves and needs a college degree" smoke blown up their butts has only encouraged college prices to go up.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
It's too bad more countries don't provide free post secondary education like they should be doing. In my opinion it's almost as vital as secondary education.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
^ if the US did that, a post-secondary education would be just as valuable as a secondary is in this country. Just about nothing.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
No, I'm speaking specifically in regards to the US and how they manage money and the things they spend it on.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
haha no foul. I just have little to no faith in or support of government, and the US would be near the bottom of that list.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I owe six digits to Sallie Mae, and it scares the shit out of me.

College tuition has become one of the biggest rackets in history, and I wish I had known that 10 years ago.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
I owe six digits to Sallie Mae, and it scares the shit out of me.

College tuition has become one of the biggest rackets in history, and I wish I had known that 10 years ago.
Same here. I would've just gotten some sort of programming/comp sci degree at whatever the cheapest state school was, and then put in some time getting some good work experience.

·
Who is Noodles?
150 Posts
But one could argue that easy, free-flowing, and guaranteed money combined with students who have had copious amounts of "everyone deserves and needs a college degree" smoke blown up their butts has only encouraged college prices to go up.
YES! smartest thing said on MG for ages! The same is happening in the UK. All the uni's are expanding their courses as well. Our previous Prime Minister (Blair) said he wanted 50% of college leavers (high school age) to go to uni....... just as they trebled the fees..... :nuts:

And with the uni's now accepting students on a wide variety of mickey mouse bullshit courses (most are subjects best learned IN the industry) we got an infinite supply of overqualified young 20's with no job, high expectations ('coz ive got a degree now') and a mountain of debt to push passed before making any real life progress.....

Now everyone has a degree its like hyperinflation. The value of each individual degree slides as it no longer differentiates you from the pack. Its now a thing most have like A levels (high school diploma?) USED to be :scream:

Saying that at uni i got utterly munted on an array of brilliant things, met some amazing people and had the time of my fuckin life. Every cloud....

·
Serious Bedroom Guitarist
982 Posts
I did the last payment on my student loan last year (at 36), I have a masters degree from Sweden's best technical university. Tuition = bad, with that added on paying back the loan would have been many years down the road.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
My parents paid for three semesters of college (1.5 years). I then got a full time job and went to school at night. It took me 12 years to get my degree, but at the end I had no student debt, my parents had no additional debt and I had 11 years of job experience. It was a lot of work, but it is 100% possible to get a degree in the US without running up significant student debt, it's just not nearly as much fun as being a full time student for 4-5 years without any other significant responsibilities.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^ That's a good way to do it. And I wish my parents would have had the foresight to help me do the same, but they never went to college. I love them, but they just didn't know a damn thing about it :lol:

Any kids I have will definitely be infinitely more informed.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
^ That's a good way to do it. And I wish my parents would have had the foresight to help me do the same, but they never went to college. I love them, but they just didn't know a damn thing about it :lol:

Any kids I have will definitely be infinitely more informed.
I'm one of the first in my family to go to college, and I am almost done with my associates. My plan is to begin paying it off next year or so (my car will be paid off, so I'll just divert that money to my student loan). My mom is helping me pay as much as she can. If all goes well I plan to enroll in a bachelors program in 2013 to round out my education.

It's not so bad if you understand what you are getting into and work hard to pay it off, but I take issue with the idea that higher education is a commodity that can be bought and sold.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts