Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Documents filed today through the Australian Securities And Investments Commission reveal that L.A. Noire developer Team Bondi is in the process of closing down fully.

Last month, Team Bondi was placed into administration, with a notification of discharge filed.

Now a notification of the appointment of a liquidator has been filed, along with the resignation of the Team Bondi administration. Another document, titled "Special Resolution to Wind Up Company," was also filed.

Although LA Noire received critical acclaim when it was released in May, the development studio behind the game has been shrouded in controversy ever since.

In June, it came to light that over 100 developers were not included in the final credits roll for the game, according to former employees who launched a website dedicated to spotlighting their contributions.

Team Bondi studio head Brendan McNamara also found himself under fire following the release of L.A. Noire, with anonymous ex-staffers accusing him of "mismanagement," an allegation that he denied.
Gamasutra - News - L.A. Noire Dev Team Bondi To Officially Shutter

Why Did L.A. Noire Take Seven Years to Make? - Xbox 360 Feature at IGN

The tweets alleged that studio founder Brendan McNamara had mismanaged Team Bondi and development of L.A. Noire, and had spent "tens of millions" on proprietary technology in just a year. Despite then-publisher Sony Computer Entertainment America's faith in McNamara based on his PS2 hit The Getaway, Sony dropped the project in 2005, when the studio "had far exceeded SCEA's expected price tag for the game."

According to the tweets, this situation "threw the studio into disarray. Strangely, McNamara quickly found hospice in his former rivals--the Houser brothers--and L.A. Noire was picked up by Rockstar [Games] in spring 2006… Since then, the game has been revamped, ported, and delayed four times. Rockstar spent more [than] Sony in their efforts to make it not suck."
After reading all this. It's a small miracle this game ever managed to see the light of day.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's an even bigger miracle that people actually completed the boring as fuck campaign.
:lol:

Was it really that boring? I played through a few cases and noticed a few bugs. So I put it away until it got patched...

...I completely forgot about this game until reading the news today about the studio getting shut down. Maybe it was boring after all. :D

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
No, it wasn't boring. It was a pretty good and interesting game. I'd probably give it a score of 86% out of a maximum of 100%.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Yeah, but you think that Borderlands was a good game. :lol: I rented that game and I have to say it was one of the most boring FPSs I have ever played in my life.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Yeah, but you think that Borderlands was a good game. :lol: I rented that game and I have to say it was one of the most boring FPSs I have ever played in my life.
Well, you're in the minority in that opinion too I think. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Well, you're in the minority in that opinion too I think. :lol:
And you're in the minority on your opinion as well. LA Noire has a Metacritic score of 89/100 (for both versions) which is just slightly higher than my personal rating (88% and 87% on GameRankings). In fact, the game hasn't gotten a single negative review (that's not to say that there aren't complaints about the game, but even in reviews that complain about the game, they are usually giving a score of 8.5/10 or similar).

·
Read Only
10 Posts
And you're in the minority on your opinion as well. LA Noire has a Metacritic score of 89/100 (for both versions) which is just slightly higher than my personal rating (88% and 87% on GameRankings). In fact, the game hasn't gotten a single negative review (that's not to say that there aren't complaints about the game, but even in reviews that complain about the game, they are usually giving a score of 8.5/10 or similar).

We'll agree to disagree. LA Noire is fucking boring dude. They made this amazing looking city with nothing to do in it other than drive around between cases trying not to hit shit to fuck up your case score. I bought it. I tried it. I gave it a chance. After a few cases, picking up cigarette packs for no reason at all gets old. The mini-game of facial judging gets old. The plot is cool, but you have to wrap a game with something to do around a cool plot in order to make a good game.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Borderlands was cool. LA Noire would be cool if it wasn't

1) murder scene vibrations
2) guess the clue --- YOU'RE LYING!!! Shit you're not, now I gotta re-fucking start.
3) CHASE THE GUY ON FOOT.....AWHILE!!!
4) Hey you did it. Good job.

Over, and over again. I got about 8 cases in and just said the heck with it.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts

We'll agree to disagree. LA Noire is fucking boring dude. They made this amazing looking city with nothing to do in it other than drive around between cases trying not to hit shit to fuck up your case score. I bought it. I tried it. I gave it a chance. After a few cases, picking up cigarette packs for no reason at all gets old. The mini-game of facial judging gets old. The plot is cool, but you have to wrap a game with something to do around a cool plot in order to make a good game.
I'm not gonna disagree with some of your complaints. I had my partner drive pretty much everywhere since I usually didn't want to wait at traffic lights and risk destroying my car. Although it's really fun when you're in Traffic to just go around, crashing into everyone and everything, destroying everyone's cars, stealing cars from people, and destroying property. You're not supposed to do that, but it's really fun. I love how your partner just yells at you "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!? THESE ARE INNOCENT PEOPLE!" "Do I tell you how to piss? Don't tell me how to drive."

I didn't think the game was boring or frustrating at all (the people who thought it was "frustrating" really confuse me), but the game did have its problems and they're part of the reason why my rating of the game puts it in a ranking of B instead of A.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
He liked Infamous as well :yesway:
I've seen him do a lot of reviews where you can tell he really enjoyed the game, even though he's completely ripping it apart. For the ones he really liked, at the end, he'll say something along the lines of "Despite <problem> <problem> <problem>, <game title> is actually quite enjoyable."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts