Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:scratch: I'm missing the magic here. It adds noise, and fizz, to the otherwise beastly tone o' the Roadster.

What are you guys settings? I'm running it direct, (guitar -> 808 -> input). Should I be running it in the loop or something? It seems pointless, because I can essentially do the same thing by turning the presence up.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Keep the gain below 9 o'clock, the level all the way up, and the tone around noon. This will tighten up the low end without adding any real "gain".

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
You're basically just using the pedal to compress the signal. Far be it from anyone to use a compressor :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Actually, one of the main functions is the low end roll-off, which keeps your tone tight and punchy.

Remember, Chris, that most of the fizz is coming from low volume use. Take that to your drummer's place and crank it, and it will sound radically different.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
You'll also notice the tightening effect on the low end more at higher volumes.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Keep the gain below 9 o'clock, the level all the way up, and the tone around noon. This will tighten up the low end without adding any real "gain".
I wouldn't set the level to max. Set it to unity - sounds same with it on or off (unless this is meant to be a solo boost/compressor). And definitely run it in front of the amp.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I have the gain just above "off", and the level just above noon. The tone is just above or just below noon, depending on the amp, the guitar and my mood.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
i always have gain compeltely off, tone around noon (mine is "neutral" at ~11:00), and the Level not all the way up (too much for me), but around 2:00 - this is where the Level is just a bit higher than direct and overdrives the input tube for a bit extra compression.

But mine is DIY moded, so Tone and Level "neutral" settings might be different on yours!

FWIW: for playing alone i dont use it everytime, but in a band setting it adds just the ultimate cutting-through CHUNK that i love it for!

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, one of the main functions is the low end roll-off, which keeps your tone tight and punchy.

Remember, Chris, that most of the fizz is coming from low volume use. Take that to your drummer's place and crank it, and it will sound radically different.
Yeah, I am REALLY looking forward to taking this up there tomorrow night, dude. Like you would not believe. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aah, ok. I'll give that a shot. :yesway:

It'll be interesting to see how this pairs up with the Nova when it gets here tomorrow.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
With my TS7ovChaos and playing high gain stuff, I run gain barely above zero to maybe 9:00, tone within a click or two of noon (based on guitar) and level between 1:00 and max.

My amp sure as hell isn't a Recto though :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Yeah, I am REALLY looking forward to taking this up there tomorrow night, dude. Like you would not believe. :lol:
Oh, I can believe it. When my Stiletto showed up, it was the night of band practice. So, it was sitting at home while I was at practice. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
To reiterate. The ts will add lots of gain as it makes your signal hit the tubes harder, so backing off your amp gain with the pedal on to achieve unity is what you want to do. This seems counter productive as you're going to hit roughly the same saturation level but at higher volumes, it will be tighter and more awesome. if you want to take it over the top with gain(like i do) just grab yourself a noise gate. then fizz people out of existence.

·
\m/ Tits & Beer \m/
1,150 Posts
I'm assuming you have the stock TS808, right? What amp/tone are you looking for?

I've got a Keeley modded TS that I use in my B Rig which REALLY brings the high gain on my solid state amp to life. I roll off the gain on my head and use the pedal's OD to add some clarity and color. I've noticed that the Keeley's clean up a bit better on the gain than the stock TubeScreamers.

I have no use for it in my main rig, which consists of a 6505+. That thing's got plenty of gain and tone options for me, IMHO. But I guess I'd use it for creamy/bluesy tones since the Crunch Channel is shared with the Clean Channel.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
When I had just gotten a 5150, I went on the OD hunt. I found a Monte Allums modded TS-808. My OD quest was ended on the first find!

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
When/if you ever make it down here again, I'll let you try the SD-1 that Joe modded for me I use for, well, everything. If you haven't figured it out yet by then. ;)

Crooks is right, that's the best approach, though I use unity gain instead of cranking it. Also, a Tung Sol in V1 will help tame the fizz...

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I have the gain just above "off", and the level just above noon. The tone is just above or just below noon, depending on the amp, the guitar and my mood.
I do this too, sometimes with a bit more on the level. The idea is you should JUST barely be able to hear the difference on the clean channel - even that makes a surprising change to the way the amp responds.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:lol:

The more I fart with it, the more I don't see the allure. If I bounced the presence up a bit, it seems like it does the same thing that this does. :scratch:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts