Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. Well, I was looking into the 333xl and trirec (I know, a brand of unversally hated amps lol) and saw the valve king II. I've played a 333xl before my buddy has had one for 4 years now, i obviously don't NEED 120watts lol but I was planning on a head and a 2x12 cab.

·
Grumpy Old Fart
1,025 Posts
Meh, it's a low budget tube amp. It doesn't sound great but you're also not paying for great. Go used and get a better amp for a little more.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Crap. I owned the original VK100, and the clean was okay, gain sucked. I played the new 20w head, and it's a pile of shit. Pretty much any other mini head stomps it.

·
D-Beat HiJacker
19 Posts
I'll agree that the amp falls on the low spectrum of high gain - metal amps. Speaking in terms of the original.

BUT, sometimes I think it's very easy to lose sight of the value of a cheap amp. I've played high end, I've played low end, at the end of the day I always still love playing. Also, I'd say if you're playing alone all the time it's soooo easy to pick apart the tone. You can sit their and nit pick the eq and tweak until you bleed from the ears but throw an amp in a band setting, it takes a lot to make an amp complete shit.

I've seen the VK side by side with a ton of high end amps, it always held its weight in my opinion...and further, sometimes beat the shit out of the tone of the rival. Further, I can say I dinked around with one once at a used shop (thought about buying it)...I threw an OD in front of it as a boost and an EQ...the thing ripped man...just saying.

I'm glad amps like this exist because I've seen too many rad punk/hardcore/metal bands that wouldn't have done shit without a cheap, 100W, tube amp.

cheers

·
Registered
803 Posts
When i was looking to buy an amp i was comparing the 6505+ combo and a valveking head and its 412 cab. idk if it was the cab or the head maybe a mixture of the too but it sounded awful. But if i had to choose again i would have to look at another 412 or even 212 and maybe that would have changed my mind and maybe look at putting some pedals in front of it.

·
D-Beat HiJacker
19 Posts
@ Louis94. It can sound awful, but it can sound good too.

It's a bias thing. When a 5150 / 6505 sounds horrible, it's because the user sucks at dialing in a tone. When a Valveking sounds horrific it's because it's an unsalvageable piece of junk. Somewhere the JSX falls in the middle. I've heard far too many 5150's and 6505's sound like snot, completely cring worthy, to say it's got to be the amp.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Simple way to know if the new Peavey you are about to buy is shit:

Does it say 6505 on it? If the answer is no, then it's shit.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Simple way to know if the new Peavey you are about to buy is shit:

Does it say 6505 on it? If the answer is no, then it's shit.
Not true. The 6534 is awesome. And the Classic 30 is a great piece of gear.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
:agreed: and I actually liked the new Classic 20 sound, in that vid.

Shouldn't the new 6505 mini head actually be called a 6584? :D
Eh, not really. Otherwise the 6505 would be the 65L6.

·
D-Beat HiJacker
19 Posts
it's a mute point.

We can easily look at specs and use empirical knowledge to inform a general consensus of which of the lot is better. I'm not questioning which is better, or asserting that the budget Valveking at its best can approach a 5150II or 6505+ at its best.

What I am saying though, given a good ear for tone crafting, some eq, perhaps a boost of sorts, and a good cab, the budget amp at its best can reach tones that we (or I personally) hear all the time from the "better" amp with remotely average set-ups.

I prefer the 5150II out of all of them, and I'm playing a jet city, so yall can take my words with a grain of salt :jason:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts