Metal Guitarist Forums banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ggate is awesome. I also really like Gdelay. For amp sims....Kuassa Creme is killing them all....big tone...brutal sound...has a built in cab impulse loader ( I use Soldano SLO 100 cab impulse for rhythm and a Diezel cab impulse for leads) TS808 tubescreamer for boosting leads(although I don't even need it with Kuassa) Kuassa is around $30 but it is sooooo worth it.

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hey fellas. I just ran across this little article thing with 91 free vst plugs. I think about half of them were mentioned here already, but if you're looking for something new, and can't afford the more expensive plugs, check em out.

Over 90 Free VST Effects Plugins

·
Not that Regular!
21 Posts
@kmanick;

For bass, TSE's Bass Drive pedal is really good, its a clone of SansAmp, and works well. Other than that, i personally use Amplitube for basses.

You can go for Preamp + IR's just like we do on guitars as well, never tried it personally, but there are lots of bass IR's on the net, and i think they are there because of a reason ^^

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
I would like something to help me get some more low end and "weight" in my mixes. Maybe something I can put on the bass guitar track and kick drums. Any free vst's that are good for adding low end?
'More' is rarely the answer here. Careful crossover control between the bass, kick and guitars, and the right compression on the bass and kick is the way, truth and light for weighty low end.

imo.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
I would like something to help me get some more low end and "weight" in my mixes. Maybe something I can put on the bass guitar track and kick drums. Any free vst's that are good for adding low end?
I recently read an article about an "easy" (in quotation marks, becasue I havent rtried it yet, but during reading, it sounded pretty easy) way of enhancing the low end on the kick.

Add an additional channel, insert a test-tone-generator plugin (there are some in Reaper - ReaSynth for example, or a few in the JS stuff), set it to sinus and (for example) 60Hz. Then, load a gate with sidechain-ability right after the test-tone-gen, set to sidechaining. (without a gate, you would have a constant 60Hz Sinus hum)

Now, you need to add a send form the kick-track to the sidechain-input of the gate, set to 0db, very low attack value, fast release, short hold time, and adjust threshold so you can hear the Sinus with every kick-beat.

You can now also adjust the relase time to your liking.

If you try that, let me know how it works - as soon as my time allows (means: as soon as I am done with that fucking record), I will try that out by myself.

hope that helps. :)

Oh, and to stay on topic - some folks recommended me the free versions of the Melda Plugins:

MeldaProduction MeldaProduction effect plug-in bundles comparison chart
(scroll down for the free downloads)

Have some slight limitations (read HERE ), but according to those guys, they are already pretty awesome. Upgrade to the "pro" bundle is USD 36,-, so not that much of a damage.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Melda productions free pack.

MeldaProduction Free audio plug-ins, effects, virtual instruments

If you do not at least try it there is something seriously wrong with your head, ears and probably face and genitals. Best single bunch of free stuff out there imo. Rivals a lot of paid-for plugs.

Edit: Damnit pete! At least we can safely say theres nothing wrong with your head, ears face or genitals...:wub:

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Has any one tried out these Valhalla DSP plugs? I keep hearing good things around the webernetz, so I'm about to demo them and see what happens.

ValhallaDSP

edit:
I only tried Valhalla Room and Valhalla Shimmer.

I feel like reverb plugins (at least for me) are always hit and miss. Some are flat out terrible, but some actually do the job of replicating a warm, natural reverb quite well. Valhalla Room is definitely of the latter. I'm definitely going to have to pick this up eventually. And shit, I feel like $50 is great for something like this!

I played with Shimmer a little bit. You can definitely do some awesome reverb-type effects with it. It would definitely be used as a more creative tool, then to just add some space to your vocals. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a use for it for me, but hey, it definitely sounded awesome :yesway:

·
SLAM NOT GLAM!
1,495 Posts
'More' is rarely the answer here. Careful crossover control between the bass, kick and guitars, and the right compression on the bass and kick is the way, truth and light for weighty low end.

imo.
Thanks :yesway: And, yeah you are right. I've started working on how i'm high passing and compressing things, and I am having much better results with my low end.

I recently read an article about an "easy" (in quotation marks, becasue I havent rtried it yet, but during reading, it sounded pretty easy) way of enhancing the low end on the kick.

Add an additional channel, insert a test-tone-generator plugin (there are some in Reaper - ReaSynth for example, or a few in the JS stuff), set it to sinus and (for example) 60Hz. Then, load a gate with sidechain-ability right after the test-tone-gen, set to sidechaining. (without a gate, you would have a constant 60Hz Sinus hum)

Now, you need to add a send form the kick-track to the sidechain-input of the gate, set to 0db, very low attack value, fast release, short hold time, and adjust threshold so you can hear the Sinus with every kick-beat.

You can now also adjust the relase time to your liking.

If you try that, let me know how it works - as soon as my time allows (means: as soon as I am done with that fucking record), I will try that out by myself.

hope that helps. :)

Oh, and to stay on topic - some folks recommended me the free versions of the Melda Plugins:

MeldaProduction MeldaProduction effect plug-in bundles comparison chart
(scroll down for the free downloads)

Have some slight limitations (read HERE ), but according to those guys, they are already pretty awesome. Upgrade to the "pro" bundle is USD 36,-, so not that much of a damage.

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
MOAR PLUGINS :scream:

For those who know about the Variety of Sound (which I believe to have been mentioned a couple of times here...) should know about the Density mkII buss comp. Well...he just made the Density mkIII buss comp. It's really just a massive update to the mkII. I haven't quite had a chance to play with it yet, but it supposedly sounds completely different. Here's a review:

a Density mkIII review

And a link to the downloads page:
Downloads

Here's another plug that I just sorta tripped over the other day: the Pushtec 5+1A from Leftover Lasagne. I played with it a tiny bit, so please excuse me if you have completely different results. I felt like it was subtle, and not overly bright and harsh in the high end. I'm looking forward to using it on everything I can think of, just to see what happens.

Leftover Lasagne

And here's a compressor that I actually found like a year ago, but have never used. I actually literally just downloaded it before typing this. I keep finding positive reviews EVERYWHERE, so I feel like I-no-we, have to give it a chance.

Molot « vladg/sound

I know the Russian is daunting (unless you speak Russian....then nevermind!), but there's a little, tiny button in the bottom right that translates everything to English.

edit: Density mkIII is killer on drums. That is all :metal:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Whoops, posted a link to one that was already posted on the last page.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts