Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Not a fan, but that dude can sing his ass off.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Not quite my thing, but that's way better than Korn or Linkin Park or those other "whiny guy" bands. And hell, it's pretty much in John Coltrane territory compared to djent.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
I liked the first Korn album back in the day, nothing else they have done has done it for me though.

I also liked that band "Dark New Day" with Clint Lowery(from 7dust). It's something I wouldn't normally like but this stuff is just good.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
/pedantic mode

I love Sevendust and have been a fan for about 17 years now, but they are about as far away from "djent" as you can get. I imagine you're referring to their syncopated riffs as being "djent-like," but syncopation has been around forever. You can find syncopated riffs not just in tons of different sub-genres of metal, but also in other genres like rock or jazz.

While I've never heard or read Sevendust called "djent" before, I have heard (and read) them called "nu metal" a lot, which I personally don't get at all.

Call them "alternative metal" or even "groove metal," but "nu metal" doesn't apply in any way I can see.

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honestly, one of the best live bands I've seen, on regards to sounding "like the cd" but not sterile. They had a fucking trampoline on stage. :lol:

This thread brought to you by, me adding deftones to iTunes Radio because I read and article on the deftones after googling "does jim root smoke" after seeing that guitar thread with him, and hearing him sounding winded.. And wonder "does jim root smoke?"

:lol: [action=Jason]wants a new high smiley. -_-[/action]

/pedantic mode

I love Sevendust and have been a fan for about 17 years now, but they are about as far away from "djent" as you can get. I imagine you're referring to their syncopated riffs as being "djent-like," but syncopation has been around forever. You can find syncopated riffs not just in tons of different sub-genres of metal, but also in other genres like rock or jazz.

While I've never heard or read Sevendust called "djent" before, I have heard (and read) them called "nu metal" a lot, which I personally don't get at all.

Call them "alternative metal" or even "groove metal," but "nu metal" doesn't apply in any way I can see.
You're correct. It just jumped out at me. The staccato, very precise palm mutes and stops. One of the bands I can recall doing it. :)

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I kinda think they're another band like Disturbed, where the music is completely mediocre, but the singer is just kills it. Witherspoon is the only thing making it listenable to me.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Clicked thread, saw that it wasn't Sikth, closed thread.

Seriously though, isn't Sevendust emotional nu-metal for dudes that watch MMA in sports bars to get over their stripper girlfriends breaking up with them in a text message also warning they might have herpes?

I've never listened, just going off the "Lame name + singer with dreadlocks" rule.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Clicked thread, saw that it wasn't Sikth, closed thread.

Seriously though, isn't Sevendust emotional nu-metal for dudes that watch MMA in sports bars to get over their stripper girlfriends breaking up with them in a text message also warning they might have herpes?

I've never listened, just going off the "Lame name + singer with dreadlocks" rule.
No. Talented as hell, fantastic songwriting, and some of the best and most subtle two guitar arrangements in modern metal, IMO.

Sevendust are the goods.

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
You're correct. It just jumped out at me. The staccato, very precise palm mutes and stops. One of the bands I can recall doing it. :)
I do recall my friend and I were talking about this while listening to Home and Animosity when the latter came out. At the time we both thought they overdid it with the palm muting so I see correlation.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Teton Gravity Research, the local (world famous I guess) extreme ski movie company, had a couple movies in the mid 2000s that had soundtracks full of this kind of stuff.

These ones hit me in the nostalgia hard.

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Full Scale were awesome. Also another band with a great frontman with a great voice.

Such a shame that every subsequent band that Ezekiel Ox has been involved in has never topped Full Scale. The Nerve had so much promise thanks to the awesome talent involved (Glenn Proudfoot and Lucious Borich), but the songs just aren't as good... Zeke's colorful personality probably didn't help either. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
No. Talented as hell, fantastic songwriting, and some of the best and most subtle two guitar arrangements in modern metal, IMO.

Sevendust are the goods.
True dat. They don't solo much, but on the songs where they solo, the solos are superb (and when I say "solo," I mean "shred"-style solos).

I think Sevendust is STILL the grooviest metal band I've ever heard.

From the very first song of their very first album:

Even after all these years, there are very few bands that get me as pumped up and moving as Sevendust.

(That live version is pretty sweet, but if you want to hear the highly polished studio version:
)

Their super aggressive use of the wah-wah pedal is still one of my favorites.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Love Sevendust, man.

Really, anything Clint has done I'm a huge fan of.

Animosity, man....I love everything about that album....guitar tones, drum sounds, the samples/keys, fucking everything. One of my favorite sounding records and has a ton of killer tunes on it to boot. Definitely my favorite one.

If anything, Sevendust would be the fuckin' Eagles of goddamn nu-metal. (I love the Eagles, for clarity) I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing this acoustic shit now to get their audience ready for when we're all getting old and want to sit down at shows, start wearing sweaters and shit...

This thread brought to you by, me adding deftones to iTunes Radio because I read and article on the deftones after googling "does jim root smoke" after seeing that guitar thread with him, and hearing him sounding winded.. And wonder "does jim root smoke?"

:lol: [action=Jason]wants a new high smiley. -_-[/action]
Damn dude, I know exactly how this happens....coincidentally, my Google search bar says "fret12 clint lowery" from me looking for any updates last night. But yeah...:smoking:

I kinda think they're another band like Disturbed, where the music is completely mediocre, but the singer is just kills it. Witherspoon is the only thing making it listenable to me.
Oh, no way dude...

...ahhh...hahah, I'm not fallin' in that trap. I hit multi-quote on this before I read who wrote it, carry on. But throwin' it out there, I agree, Disturbed is completely mediocre.

Oh and this Full Scale band is cool, first time I'm hearing them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts