Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're very interested in expanding our family to include a four-legged child. That being said, neither of us have ever owned dogs before. So far we've basically determined that we want a smaller dog, up to maximum around the 50 pound mark. Not looking for a puppy, but something young. We're very interested in the rescue route.

There's so many breeds out there, it's a little overwhelming. Chances of getting a mutt with a dominant breed are pretty high, I think. No chihuahua's.

I know that one of the rescues around here crate trains all their dogs, and I don't know what the humane society does in that regard. They (HS) have an adorable Boxer up for adoption right now, and I'm very tempted to go visit tomorrow - they're right by my work.

We live in a townhouse with a tiny yard (backed onto a communal green spot where I see people walk their dogs) with access to a dog park fairly close by.

Any breed tips and things to look up/be aware of as we learn about dogs and try to find one?

Also if this thread doesn't fill up with dog pictures, we're terrible people.

Here's Lily at the Humane Society:

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
i love boxers! they're awesome dogs...
go get her dude

we had a boxer named Leesha. god she was the best damned dog ever. she never barked, but i cant say if thats a breed thing. Suck thing is boxers are prone to brain cancer. so that could be an issue later on down the road. or not. but either way you'll have many good years with her.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
As the old addage goes, you don't pick the dog, the dog picks you.

I think you've got it narrowed down to the important criteria; the size of dog and lifestyle. Some dogs will demand a lot of attention, but if you give them a pretty solid routine that includes burning some energy, they'll be happy which will make you happy in turn. Grab a "puppies for dummies" book or something like that to get up to speed on the basics, but I don't think you'll have to much trouble. Most dogs like food, water, routine, and a job.

I think you are very wise to go the shelter route, and I commend you for it. There are a lot of really good dogs that end up in shelters that need good homes.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
If you've made a connection with lily, why even look elsewhere. Seems like you wanting to visit her again says something

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Definitely do your research on training, insurance, costs, and exercise requirements, ask the shelter about socialization and how the dog reacts to other dogs, animals, and people, and compare that to your environment and lifestyle.

Boxers have a great temperament, but (based on my friends' experience with several over the years) they tend to be athletic and energetic during play time. Make sure you have enough space and time for her to expend energy. Otherwise she will get bored and channel that energy elsewhere, and that can be very destructive to furniture and anything in your house that isn't (or is) nailed down.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you've made a connection with lily, why even look elsewhere. Seems like you wanting to visit her again says something
I haven't been to the shelter yet. It is literally two blocks from my job though.

Definitely do your research on training, insurance, costs, and exercise requirements, ask the shelter about socialization and how the dog reacts to other dogs, animals, and people, and compare that to your environment and lifestyle.

Boxers have a great temperament, but (based on my friends' experience with several over the years) they tend to be athletic and energetic during play time. Make sure you have enough space and time for her to expend energy. Otherwise she will get bored and channel that energy elsewhere, and that can be very destructive to furniture and anything in your house that isn't (or is) nailed down.
Very good points, thanks Josh! My main concerns are: leaving the dog while at work, necessary space for play (inside vs. the walking routes near our place), and potential costs due to hereditary illnesses. I'm wondering if we should contact a couple agencies with a brief overview of our lifestyle and accommodations and see if any of the places can make recommendations.

That being said, I would totally work an extra half hour for an extended lunch break where I could visit my pup :yesway:. And I do want to visit Lily tomorrow :lol:.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Banned
835 Posts
About mutts... You can tell dominant ones pretty easily. If it starts gnawing on you it's dominant. If it's a marshmallow it's gonna stay a marshmallow. Just make sure that you're vibing with it on a personal level and don't just think it's pretty. The main thing that's hard to tell with mutts, is whether they are guard dogs (territorial) or just can't handle people (timid). For a first dog, you don't want timid.

Generally, the older the dog, the easier it is to handle. I heartily recommend getting and adult for your first dog (3-5 years). It's not going to die on you tomorrow, I promise. The only problem is most adults tend to go after cats, so if you have a cat, an adult is not for you.

Whatever dog you get, the relationship between you two is what you put into it, so don't automatically blame the dog if it's not acting appropriately.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Peter, that is the age range we are most interested in.

Probably gonna leave for lunch a little earlier to try and meet lily.

·
Banned
835 Posts
The best thing about a dog of that age is that you cannot fuck it up. I feel like most people are going to fuck their first cat/dog up, because you don't know what the animal is supposed to be like.

I sure did, it was 6 or 7 years until I taught my black tomcat not to be jealous and vengeful, which I totally raised him up to be. He's fine now, though. :lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went to the humane society after work and met Lily. She is a very dog-centric dog in that all her attention goes to any dogs in the area. Despite having toys around and calling her name, I didn't exist to her until there were no dogs nearby. Any other dog I was a little interested in wouldnt have been a good fit (needs a yard and/or just not a great first dog).

I'll be checking back to see who's new and available.

I'm a little bummed but we are not rushing into this. We'll find the right dog eventually :yesway:

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I love dogs, but between work, band stuff, and women, I've never had the kind of time a dog needs :erk:
Similar. I've had about 7 dogs by now, but they were all when I lived with my parents. Living on my own, I've wanted a dog or a cat (or both), but I've always just been so busy with work, bands, and other things that I couldn't have pets (plus, almost every place I've lived has had a strict "no pets" policy).

As for your criteria, though, miniature schnauzers are very nice. All the dogs I had were big except for 3 miniature schnauzers. They were all very sweet, very quiet, and just wonderful animals. Much quieter than any of the other dogs I had.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Don't let size be off putting, since rescue Greyhounds are the couch potatoes of the dog world. Zerodc had a couple and they were just snuggled with you on the couch in front of the TV.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.