Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I've played all three of the Witcher games. They are all excellent, especially The Witcher 3, which I consider to be one of the greatest games of ALL TIME.

I seriously hope they handle this TV series with the same care that The Witcher 3 was handled and not in the way the disastrous Witcher movie was handled (yes, there was a Witcher movie -- though it was before any of the video games came out).

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
I've played all three of the Witcher games. They are all excellent, especially The Witcher 3, which I consider to be one of the greatest games of ALL TIME.

I seriously hope they handle this TV series with the same care that The Witcher 3 was handled and not in the way the disastrous Witcher movie was handled (yes, there was a Witcher movie -- though it was before any of the video games came out).
All of this is exactly right!:yesway:

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
The Witcher setting is really cool, but there's so much overlap with Game of Thrones in terms of its tone that I could see it having a hard time as a show. Either they don't do a good job and it's just a low-rent GoT, or they knock it out of the park and a lot of people give it a pass anyway because they assume it's a low-rent GoT. :lol:

Hopefully I'm wrong, though! Netflix has done a good job avoiding that trap with the super hero shows.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
The Witcher setting is really cool, but there's so much overlap with Game of Thrones in terms of its tone that I could see it having a hard time as a show. Either they don't do a good job and it's just a low-rent GoT, or they knock it out of the park and a lot of people give it a pass anyway because they assume it's a low-rent GoT. :lol:

Hopefully I'm wrong, though!
The worlds are definitely similar in that they both have a lot of sex (and in their non-novel adaptations nudity), violence, and tackle serious real world issues (although I think The Witcher might do this more than ASoIaF). They also take a lot from real world mythology and legends, but I think The Witcher does that more than A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones.

I think one big difference is that ASoIaF/GoT focuses a lot on the empires and the leaders influencing the world -- kings, queens, noblemen, noblewomen, etc. -- while The Witcher focuses on the outcasts -- the witchers themselves (who are like skilled exterminators/hitmen who everyone hates and looks down on), witches (who are highly discriminated against in the world and massacred in The Witcher 3, as well as in some of the games), and non-human races (dwarves, elves, dopplers, etc.). So I think the approach to The Witcher is more focused on a single badass morally ambiguous motherfucker who doesn't have any "noble blood," position in or allegiance to any nation, and a duty to just use dry sarcasm as he gets his job done.

So on the surface the sex and violence in a fantasy world aspect is similar, but I don't think the worlds themselves have too much in common, really.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Yeah, the Witcher is much more character based and less focused on politics, which is cool. I'm just saying the marketing department's gonna have a tough job because of the surface similarities.

On the plus side, the whole concept of the Witcher lends itself really well to TV. No shortage of material for X-Files style monster of the week episodes.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
The Witcher story is more like a dark fairytale, with a lot of folklore kind of stuff, so I don't see that many similarities with ASoIaF other than some superficial similarities (violence, sex, grit).

I'd rather see another Witcher game though.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
The Expanse producers being on it is very promising indeed. The expanse is outstanding, and it gets a lot right in character depth and development, world building, politics and the like.

Witcher 3 being hands down my favourite game, I hope this translates well. They better remember the morally grey nature of it and not hero it up too hard.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Witcher 3 being hands down my favourite game, I hope this translates well. They better remember the morally grey nature of it and not hero it up too hard.
I think that's the most important thing.

In a lot of games, they give you the choice to make good or bad decisions, and it's not really "gray." Like, Mass Effect, for example, REALLY shoves it down your throat that you've done something EVIL (which can be fun if you want to play the stereotypical hero or villain, sure, but it's not realistic). But in the Witcher games, there never is a clear "good" or "bad" and sometimes when you think a certain choice is the "good" choice, it has terrifyingly horrible consequences.

I think that's one of the overarching themes of the series, and I've heard that the novels, of course, also share this really gray morality. The various different endings of each game are like that too. There's no such thing as a "good," "bad," and "neutral" ending. Just different consequences.

·
I think too much
1,877 Posts
I'm rather skeptical. They'll probably do a great job with it, just not sure how compelling it will be watch after having played it. I too wish for another game or expansion pack instead.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Doesn't GoT finish this year? Maybe it'll scratch an itch for a lot of people :shrug:
Final two seasons, this year and next. GRRM lost the race. :(

Since it's semi-related, I thought the cut scenes in Diablo III were good enough that the story could form the basis for a decent movie.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Witcher 3 is the best video game ever made, hands down. I just started digging into the books recently, starting with "The Last Wish." It's great to see Netflix picking up literary works recently and turning them into series. I'm excited for the Altered Carbon series for sure as well.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Theres a chance this could be really good but I am concerned that they will not nail the humor of the series and it will end up being half assed tongue in cheek.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Theres a chance this could be really good but I am concerned that they will not nail the humor of the series and it will end up being half assed tongue in cheek.
It all depends on the casting, the plotlines should already be there. Geralt, Triss, Yennifer, Dandelion, and Vesemir being cast well are vital to this show's success.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts