Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Just saw it, came to post it, nice to see you beat me to it :yesway:

I can't wait, this looks better than I expected. The casting of Emhyr, Ciri, and Geralt looks like a good fit from the casting director. Triss tho...

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Mm... Although it does look better than expected, I don't know... I'll reserve judgment until I actually watch it...

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
First Dandelion song is up and it's awesome. It's funny to see there's already tons of people covering it on YT right now.

I'm so geeked up for this series, it seems like all the right people are involved.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Still reserving judgment until I see it... Fingers crossed that it actually lives up to the source material... Comes out this Friday...

·
I think too much
1,877 Posts
I watched the entire first season this weekend, and I have to say that I didn't hate it. It was awesome in a guilty pleasure sort of way. You know, like how one watches Xena and Hercules episodes when no one is looking. That's really what it reminded me of. The big take-away for me was "I really need to play that game again".

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Binged first season. Fucking loved it.

I feared Cavill as Geralt. Really thought it was going to suck. But man, he NAILS Geralt completely. It's a bit of a slow start, and lots of threads, but considering the source material, it's really just exposition for the first 2-4 episodes before it starts to come together. Cannot wait for the second season, this one was way way way too short. But I am so going to rewatch it.

backstories are cool too, even if they initailly don't seem like it, but they all tie iin to character motivation.

I will say, this first season is pretty much a setup for the rest (much like the short stories Last Wishj book it draws from)

Need more Geralt. It is fucking Epic. The battles, man oh man, brutal.

I loved the game, and love this.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Just finished the first episode and I gotta say that I love the elements they've taken from the games. The biggest element is, of course, the music (at least 2 and 3. I don't remember if 1 had this style of music or not). The music for the games is very unique and very iconic, and while so far, I don't think the show has used any of specific melodic themes or motifs from the games (though I might just not have noticed), they've used the exact same style, the exact same instrumentation, and overall feel.

No matter how many trailers I saw, I had trouble seeing Henry Cavill as Geralt, but the first episode alone won me over. He's doing an excellent job. He might not quite have the look perfect (though that's impossible since he just wasn't born that way), but he's pulling off the attitude, style, mannerisms, and everything amazingly. And one could argue that film should be a lot more forgiving, such as the wide range of different looking people who have played James Bond.

Those who don't know that the games aren't adaptations of the novels might be surprised to find Cirilla to be about 11 years old when she's around 22 or 23 in the Witcher 3 video game, but the very first Witcher novel takes place about 10 years before the very first Witcher game, the game mainly being sequels to the novel series, taking place after they ended (since the series was originally 7 novels published from 1993 to 1999, while the first Witcher game came out in 2007 as a sequel to the final novel).

Looking forward to the rest of the series (and the second season too since I saw that Netflix has already confirmed it).

·
Big Brother
587 Posts
Wife got me watching because she likes Cavill. He's alright with me too. No background with either the novels or games. We are almost done with season 1. It's pretty good. It was confusing at first when it jumps around 20 or 30 years at a stretch, sometimes with scenes flip flopping with each other taking place in different time lines. But pretty enjoyable. I really love how Geralt says, "Huhn" to everything.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Wife got me watching because she likes Cavill. He's alright with me too. No background with either the novels or games. We are almost done with season 1. It's pretty good. It was confusing at first when it jumps around 20 or 30 years at a stretch, sometimes with scenes flip flopping with each other taking place in different time lines. But pretty enjoyable. I really love how Geralt says, "Huhn" to everything.
I noticed they used a character as an anchor point when flipping. I'm 4 episodes in, and they used King Foltest as that anchor point. 60 years old in one scene, 12 in the next.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I noticed they used a character as an anchor point when flipping. I'm 4 episodes in, and they used King Foltest as that anchor point. 60 years old in one scene, 12 in the next.
I'm only 3 episodes in, so you're only 1 episode ahead of me, but I plan to watch a ton of episodes tonight. But one thing I'm a bit confused about is Yennifer. I was under the impression that she had been a witch for years and years and years by the point she met Geralt (which hasn't happened in the show yet where I am), but they are kind of showing her training and so on as happening at the same time as other events, which would suggest she hasn't been a witch for longer than a couple months when she eventually meets Geralt (unless they make it clear that years have passed in between episodes, but I doubt that's going to happen with Cirilla being 11 or so from the first episode).

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
I'm only 3 episodes in, so you're only 1 episode ahead of me, but I plan to watch a ton of episodes tonight. But one thing I'm a bit confused about is Yennifer. I was under the impression that she had been a witch for years and years and years by the point she met Geralt (which hasn't happened in the show yet where I am), but they are kind of showing her training and so on as happening at the same time as other events, which would suggest she hasn't been a witch for longer than a couple months when she eventually meets Geralt (unless they make it clear that years have passed in between episodes, but I doubt that's going to happen with Cirilla being 11 or so from the first episode).
She'll make a comment in the carriage in episode 4 that will help you put it together.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
She'll make a comment in the carriage in episode 4 that will help you put it together.
Yeah, it does clarify things, though it does kind of make you question the presentation of the episodes so far, because it makes it feel as if the different storylines are happening at the same time.

Whereas Yennefer reveals in Episode 4 in that carriage scene that she's been the court witch for Aidan for over 30 years at this point, and the episode clarifies later that this is about 12-13 years before the events with Ciri (since the episode has to do with the reasoning for why Geralt ends up Ciri's caretaker from before she was even born and ends up training her as a witcher), which does fit with my understanding I've had for a very long time now of Yennefer having been a witch for a super long time before she met Geralt (about 45 years when she first meets Geralt it would seem), her magic being the reason why she both looks beautiful and super young.

So yeeeeeah, the timelines in this show are pretty confusing and wonky, and probably a LOOOOOT more so if you had zero familiarity with the novels or games before watching it.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The timelines are all over the place and the transitions/directing are a mess at times but IMO it all adds to the charm. This show is awesome. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

:hmm:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I finished watching the first season a little over a week ago, and it really had me wanting more. Even though it's basically 8 hours long (since it's got 8 episodes with most right around 1 hour long each), it really feels too short. Which is a great thing for them, because it means a lot of people are looking forward to the second season.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts