Metal Guitarist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I found this interesting video that compares one scene from the Netflix show and one scene from the third game where the same dialogue from the novel is used to compare the voice actor, but I have to say that I really do think Henry Cavill nailed the Geralt voice:

(Warning, though, there's some nudity in the Netflix scene, so not safe to watch at work)

EDIT:

And I'm guessing that Henry Cavill probably took a lot of inspiration from Doug Cockle's performance in the games (which he actually won and was nominated for several awards for his voice acting) since I just saw this interview with him where he says he actually sought out the role of Geralt because he's a huge fan of the Witcher games.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
^ :lol: I'm playing through W3 now and this is so accurate. I don't skip the dialog on the main quests but this is every side quest for me in a nutshell. I love the silent pauses where they just stare at each other too, it's spot on.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I tried watching this. Tried. Had to skip around a lot, trying to find a part that didn't suck.

For reference I first got into The Witcher when the first game was still based on the Neverwinter Nights engine, read the books after playing the first game. Played the second. Loved the third. Iconic game. So it's not like I'm not a fan, I'm going in predisposed to like it. One thing people don't realize is the books were never that good, they were sort of obscure polish b list fantasy incorporating a ton of other legends. The first game was cool, but it was really the second game and REALLY the 3 that made the world iconic.

I thought the Netflix adaption fucking sucked. Had nothing on the third game.

Maybe it's OK on its own merits, but its not The Witcher. There's too much shit to go into fully, but basically it boils down to:

-The entire fucking point of the Geralt character that the world came to love when the games came out is he is a tired old man who is too old for this shit. If you take away the characterization that he is a grumpy old man, you take away the core of his character. Yeah, he was younger in the books, but no one cared about those until the second and third game's writing staff showed what the world was capable of.

-Not a knock on Cavill, but Doug Cockle's vocal performance is iconic. Gravelly badass. Cavill's voice sucks in comparison.

The nicest thing I can say about the show is it made me realize what a fucking iconic game 3 is. Every character in the game is more fleshed out than in the show. Gaunter O'dimm was a better villain than anything in the show. Play the Hearts of Stone expansion or the main campaign of 3 and tell me anything on the show was on that level. It fucking wasn't. Even minor villains in the game were insanely memorable, this was just generic fantasy hash. Every character in 3 was larger than life. The Crones, Sigismund Dijistkra, Thaler, Keira Metz, Whoeson Jr, the fucking Bloody Baron, etc. etc. etc.

Honestly I think the mega positive reaction some have is just due to the fact people fucking jump on every HBO/Netflix Fantasy or Sci Fi series and act like it is the most legendary thing ever.

On its own merits it might be a mediocre fantasy show, but in comparison to 3 or even 2, it sucked.

If you liked it, cool. But the seeming consensus of "THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVER" is another case of hardcore fans getting drowned out by the bandwagoners who jump on every fantasy or Sci Fi IP when a high budget adaption comes out. I mean, maybe it was cool as mindless fantasy fodder, but I couldn't even watch a whole episode. Generic as fuck.

I regret feeling that way because it makes me look like a hipster. But better a hipster than someone who mindlessly proclaims every fantasy IP adaption that comes out is the greatest thing ever . I really wanted this to at least be decent, I honestly didn't expect the adaption to be as bland and milquetoast as it was.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Also, it stripped out all the interesting bits of moral ambiguity the games introduced and just expected you to forget it because Geralt did the monologue about evil.

The games had actual interesting subversions of fantasy cliches. Like the whole dynamic of the elves and the Scoia'tael having sympathetic motivations from being mistreated, but also kind of being fucking terrorists. 2 and 3 (and parts of 1, though it went off the rails in the second half) were so compelling because the plots revolved around themes of moral ambiguity.

They decided to forego all the interesting stuff like elven terrorists for another GoT clone where people say fuck. I like violent fantasy shows where people say fuck and there is nudity as much as the next guy, but there are plenty of them out there.

Of course, if I missed the good stuff and there is one episode that is actually high quality, recommend it to me. I tried watching every episode, couldn't make it through one. Maybe will give it another chance later.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
The entire fucking point of the Geralt character that the world came to love when the games came out is he is a tired old man who is too old for this shit. If you take away the characterization that he is a grumpy old man, you take away the core of his character. Yeah, he was younger in the books, but no one cared about those until the second and third game's writing staff showed what the world was capable of.
Disagree 100%. The show is based off the books, which are actually quite a fun read. Since Cavil is a big fan of the games and they obviously have a big gamer audience, they did adapt quite a bit of the tone of the games, but the games are a sequel to the epic in the books, so Geralt is much older in the games.

Hey it's not for everyone, but I've found the show to be as enjoyable as any other Witcher content, including the small amount of the books I've played, along with the second and third games.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Disagree 100%. The show is based off the books, which are actually quite a fun read. Since Cavil is a big fan of the games and they obviously have a big gamer audience, they did adapt quite a bit of the tone of the games, but the games are a sequel to the epic in the books, so Geralt is much older in the games.

Hey it's not for everyone, but I've found the show to be as enjoyable as any other Witcher content, including the small amount of the books I've played, along with the second and third games.
I'll give it another try sometime. 2 and 3 are just a tough act to follow.

I also read the books, the books are, in all honesty, not that good. They are adequate fantasy. They aren't legendarily groundbreaking or anything. It's one of those rare cases where the adaption/expansion far surpassed the source material.

I do agree with you that the Geralt from the books and the Geralt from the games are not exactly the same character, but the Geralt from the games is the one that catapulted the IP to the big leagues.

Has the author done an interview on the new series yet? He had complaints about the first adaption and the games.

Honestly part of the problem is too many adaptions. The original books were in large part adaptions of existing fairy tales, the game was the definitive adaption/expansion.

The Netflix thing might be enjoyable in its own right, but doing another adaption after there was already a definitive adaption of a series that already had one adaption that is partly based off adaptions of existing tales of mythical creatures is kind of an overload.

Some people might like it, the 2 and 3 were so definitive it's like, adaption vs adaption I don't think the Netflix one is as strong.

The IP wasn't actually legendary until the games. The Witcher mythos was kind of B list obscure polish fantasy. Most of the books didn't even get an English release until after the games.

I also feel like the franchise was funner when they were paying Polish Death Metal bands to do the soundtrack. Not all franchises benefit from huge major league budgets. I ask Piotr from Vader to play that every time I see them. He doesn't even speak a lot of english, so I'll just sort of pantomime shit. He's played the main riff at soundcheck for me twice, but I'm lobbying hard to get them to include it in their setlist.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

:hesright:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The nicest thing I can say about the show is it made me realize what a fucking iconic game 3 is.
I'm playing through W3 right now and while I'm enjoying it more than previous attempts I think your rose-colored glasses are on here. This is a decent game despite shit mechanics and the putrid inventory/crafting system but to me it feels like Oblivion light.

I will say though that my biggest gripe from the first couple of attempts at playing this was fixed in a patch. I put it down the first time because I had to awkwardly maneuver the character around for 90 seconds while mashing the A button each time I wanted to loot something. It's not like that anymore and now thanks to my OCD I am playing a dated but still great looking flower picking simulator that happens to have swords.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I'm playing through W3 right now and while I'm enjoying it more than previous attempts I think your rose-colored glasses are on here. This is a decent game despite shit mechanics and the putrid inventory/crafting system but to me it feels like Oblivion light.
Thanks for saying that Chris, you're a real bro, now I am no longer the dick with the most unpopular critical hipster opinion in this thread.

W3 is a masterpiece.

A. MASTERPIECE.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts

I will say though that my biggest gripe from the first couple of attempts at playing this was fixed in a patch. I put it down the first time because I had to awkwardly maneuver the character around for 90 seconds while mashing the A button each time I wanted to loot something. It's not like that anymore and now thanks to my OCD I am playing a dated but still great looking flower picking simulator that happens to have swords.
Witcher 3 has moments in it, from a storytelling perspective, that I've just never seen explored in such depth before in a game. Notable (fairly non-spoiler) moments:

Returning to the Baron after finishing the entirety of his quest
Arriving on Skellige and the storytelling done through visual only of the young girl climbing onto the boat at the Skellige king's funeral
The "Throw the baby in the oven" quest.
Thinking the entire game you could choose the lesser evil, the greater evil, or aligning with neither, and seeing how if affects the ending of the game
Romancing Yen on one playthrough and seeing Triss' disappointment, then romancing Triss on the second playthrough and seeing Yen's character completely act differently the entire game, or also romancing both and seeing where that leads.

I could go on, especially when you get into Hearts of Stone and the tragic story of Olec and his wife in the painting chapter. I haven't even finished Blood and Wine yet, and it's apparently around the size of Witcher 2.

There have really only been two other moments in a video game where I felt that there was that level of love put into the story, 1) the reveal in KOTOR, and 2) Mass Effect 3 with Mordin's "Had to be me, someone else might have gotten it wrong."

Get past the clunky combat, it's the best storytelling and replay-ability ever in a game, which is why it has earned the respect it has.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I'm on the Bloody Baron stuff now actually, I just got done following the mystical floating fetus. Like I said it does feel dated but I'm enjoying the story and the world quite a bit. I'm just really glad they fixed the looting. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
I'm on the Bloody Baron stuff now actually, I just got done following the mystical floating fetus. Like I said it does feel dated but I'm enjoying the story and the world quite a bit. I'm just really glad they fixed the looting. :lol:
Oh man you're just getting started. You're literally like 5-10% into the game right now, that's how huge it is.

·
I think too much
1,877 Posts
Fuck. I am for sure going to have to play W3 again. I thoroughly enjoyed it 3 years ago, and it's been long enough that I hope not to remember too much of it. I'm just not sure I want to give 3 months to it again. :lol:

Seriously though, now is the time before Spring hits and all the glorious distractions that come with it.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I've played all the way through The Witcher 3 three times and lately I've been thinking of playing through it a fourth. That's just how good of a game it is (probably my favorite game of all time, really). I don't know what Chris is talking about it "feeling dated." Sure, there are games coming out now that are graphically superior, but I still think it really holds up (and I don't find the controls to be clunky at all, though Witcher 1's controls were abysmal and Witcher 2's controls were flawed but usable). When it first came out, it was one of the best-looking games at the time, but if it came out now in 2020, it would still look good but wouldn't be cutting edge like it was at the time. On the other hand, I've only played through The Witcher and The Witcher 2 once each (though Witcher 2 is WAY WAY WAY WAY better than Witcher 1).

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I've played all the way through The Witcher 3 three times and lately I've been thinking of playing through it a fourth. That's just how good of a game it is (probably my favorite game of all time, really). I don't know what Chris is talking about it "feeling dated."
A/B this game against Horizon Zero Dawn. The combat, the inventory system, the clunky movement - the game feels a generation old. HZD does everything this game does better. HZD feels smooth and responsive. This game does not. I feel like I spend half my play session diving through menus.

I don't want to derail into another 90 pages of arguments with W3 fans. It's a decent game to be sure but if you think this combat is good then you have some weird gaming preferences. :lol:

Naren said:
if it came out now in 2020, it would still look good but wouldn't be cutting edge like it was at the time.
Yes, that's what being dated means. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
A/B this game against Horizon Zero Dawn. The combat, the inventory system, the clunky movement - the game feels a generation old. HZD does everything this game does better. HZD feels smooth and responsive. This game does not. I feel like I spend half my play session diving through menus.

I don't want to derail into another 90 pages of arguments with W3 fans. It's a decent game to be sure but if you think this combat is good then you have some weird gaming preferences. :lol:
I really enjoyed HZD and I consider it one of the best games of 2017, but it doesn't make it into my top 20. But I think that just comes down to personal taste. I personally don't even see Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn as being in the same category.

And I actually like the combat in W3 :lol: (while saying that I despised the combat in W1 and thought the combat in W2 was "flawed but not bad"). I don't expect that I (or anyone else) is going to change your mind on that, though.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I really enjoyed HZD and I consider it one of the best games of 2017, but it doesn't make it into my top 20.
I'm sorry. Who has the time to play enough games to have a preference for 20 games before a game, in a single release year? :rofl:

21 - 40 of 67 Posts