Metal Guitarist Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I'm sorry. Who has the time to play enough games to have a preference for 20 games before a game, in a single release year? :rofl:
I think you're Narening Naren. :naren: I assume he meant top 20 all time. :lol:

But since (iirc) he does translations for video games, I'd assume him playing through 20 games in a single year is part of his job. :yesway: Even if he's wrong about HZD, which is better than W3 all day long.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts

But since (iirc) he does translations for video games, I'd assume him playing through 20 games in a single year is part of his job. :yesway: Even if he's wrong about HZD, which is better than W3 all day long.
I may have misread him, and forgot he translates games for a living. That would make the post a whole lot less terror-inducing. :lol:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
The tv series is fun. I don't know if it's spectacular, but I like it.

And I actually like the combat in W3 :lol: (while saying that I despised the combat in W1 and thought the combat in W2 was "flawed but not bad"). I don't expect that I (or anyone else) is going to change your mind on that, though.
I think the Witcher games are more about the storytelling than the action, although that did get much better as the series progressed. If you're comparing it to an action game, then I can see it's not as good in that regard. From a storytelling viewpoint there's no games that get close to it IMO, perhaps Mass Effect 3 in some parts. Witcher 3 is my favorite game ever.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I'm sorry. Who has the time to play enough games to have a preference for 20 games before a game, in a single release year? :rofl:
It's one of the best games of 2017, but not one of my top 20 games of all time (thus "my top 20"). The Witcher 3 has had the number 1 spot for at least a few years now.

Yeah, correct on all points (except HZD being better than W3 :D). And I do consider playing video games to be a part of my job since it increases my knowledge of not just what games are popular and being talked about but also specific IPs that I might work on (some that I play before I get a job and some that I play when I've got the job and want to further prepare for it before it starts). For example, I just beat a game two days ago that connects directly to a job I've got two weeks from now. So I'm sure I play quite a few more games than most people my age. But I enjoy video games a lot and it helps a ton with my job.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Started this on a whim last night with the girl, who wanted an excuse to cuddle on the couch. We watched the first two mostly because we didn't manage top stop it before the 15 second timer to get onto the next episode had run down.

We're both extremely confused and are not entirely sure what's going on. The king and queen in the first are fighting elves? And what's with the Sorcerer having the dude spy on the hunchbacked witch-in-training, and the witch having the witch-in-training spy on the dude, even though she's evidently in the same castle as him and he's like an acolyte or something...? And what the fuck is a Witcher, anyway? Some non-human humanoid who goes around killing monsters for money, but definitely not as a public service, only if he's offered payment? :lol:

We may give it another episode or two, TBD, probably depending on what else she wants to watch is released.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
We watched the first two mostly because we didn't manage top stop it before the 15 second timer to get onto the next episode had run down.
There has to be a name for this phenomenon, because it's brilliant design on Netflix's behalf. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
We watched the first two mostly because we didn't manage top stop it before the 15 second timer to get onto the next episode had run down.
There has to be a name for this phenomenon, because it's brilliant design on Netflix's behalf. :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I'm not sure what it's called, but I'm pretty sure I know what inspired it - crack. :lol:

Seriously, the first episode ended and we tried to sit up, untangle, and find the remote, but before we did the next one started and we looked at each other and shrugged and said, "I guess it's not THAT late..." :lol:

If there's a good "Witcher for Dummies" article somewhere, that doesn't have too many spoilers, if someone could point me in that direction I'd be much obliged. :wub:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Started this on a whim last night with the girl, who wanted an excuse to cuddle on the couch. We watched the first two mostly because we didn't manage top stop it before the 15 second timer to get onto the next episode had run down.

We're both extremely confused and are not entirely sure what's going on. The king and queen in the first are fighting elves? And what's with the Sorcerer having the dude spy on the hunchbacked witch-in-training, and the witch having the witch-in-training spy on the dude, even though she's evidently in the same castle as him and he's like an acolyte or something...? And what the fuck is a Witcher, anyway? Some non-human humanoid who goes around killing monsters for money, but definitely not as a public service, only if he's offered payment? :lol:

We may give it another episode or two, TBD, probably depending on what else she wants to watch is released.
Cintra is fighting the Nilfgaardian empire, not elves. They're basically a southern empire that has been disorganized internal conflict, but have got their shit together under a new emperor.

The guy is spying on Yennefer because there's a lot of internal politics in the Brotherhood of Sorcerers (you will see why he spied later if you continue).

Witchers are mutated humans, who get improved physical attributes and some primitive magic from the mutation process. However, they are sterile and only 3/10 survive. People are suspicious of them, partly because of their appearance and because of them being monster slayers for hire.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Cintra is fighting the Nilfgaardian empire, not elves. They're basically a southern empire that has been disorganized internal conflict, but have got their shit together under a new emperor.

The guy is spying on Yennefer because there's a lot of internal politics in the Brotherhood of Sorcerers (you will see why he spied later if you continue).

Witchers are mutated humans, who get improved physical attributes and some primitive magic from the mutation process. However, they are sterile and only 3/10 survive. People are suspicious of them, partly because of their appearance and because of them being monster slayers for hire.
Huh, I could have sworn she said something about them being elves.

And are all Witchers monster hunters? Is that, just, like, the only thing society lets them do? And it can only be for hire? It seemed like it was a really big deal when the Sorcerer called Geralt out for getting involved and choosing a side, for the townspeople, like he'd committed some mortal violation of the code of Witchers.

I clearly am pretty lost. :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
And are all Witchers monster hunters?
No, some of them are presumably venture capitalists and pastry bakers.

Yes, they are all fucking monster hunters. :lol: Have you never played the games?

That's the core premise, the Witchers are essentially an engineered caste devoted to monster hunting. One of the important themes in the mythos is that it's not considered a respectable profession by many, and a lot of people just consider them glorified pest removal. It's not really a glamorous thing like being a knight or something.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Elves had the land before humans IIRC.
Kind of, although the back story is less that humans stole their land and more that elves and dwarves are fed up with the whole "routine pogroms" thing.

The whole "the elves are pretty much Native Americans who had their land stolen" motivation is bigger in other fantasy series, like Dragon Age, theres a little of that in The Witcher but it's more that they are discriminated against and slaughtered.

They aren't as sympathetic as Indian caricature elves in other franchises like Dragon Age who pull the cliched "THIS LAND WAS MINE BEFORE THE WHITE MAN, ERRR, FANTASY HUMAN CAME ALONG".

That's standard fantasy rules since forever. The elves are analogous to the Native Americans (and other Natives who were colonized), and dwarves are the fantasy equivalent of jews who are unfairly persecuted for mining things and gathering wealth. The Witcher still has elements of both of those formulas, but it doesn't play it up as much as some other series.

Which is part of the reason the games, particularly the third, were so well received. I mean, I suppose the intentions are good, but people do get tired of the same formulaic stand ins.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Huh, I could have sworn she said something about them being elves.

And are all Witchers monster hunters? Is that, just, like, the only thing society lets them do? And it can only be for hire? It seemed like it was a really big deal when the Sorcerer called Geralt out for getting involved and choosing a side, for the townspeople, like he'd committed some mortal violation of the code of Witchers.

I clearly am pretty lost. :lol:
Yeah, I mentioned a couple pages ago that this show could be especially difficult to follow if you're not already familiar with the story. I consider myself pretty familiar with the series, but even I was confused by how the episodes can switch 10 years, 20 years, 30 years, 40 years, or more back and forth without any explanation. If you watch the whole show, you'll get an idea of how the timelines fit together, but it's very jarring and confusing at first, even for people who have played all the games and read some or all of the novels.

As for Witchers, as Garrett said, they are all monster hunters. So basically around 1,500 years before the story begins, the world merged with another world (basically, the multiverse theory of there being infinite alternate universes is true in The Witcher ), which is called The Conjuction of the Spheres. This brought monsters to the world and those monsters were so powerful that average people couldn't deal with them like they could, say, a bear or a lion. A group of warrior-monks decided to deal with them and would use potions and mutagens to strengthen themselves. They usually conscripted young boys and put them through intense training, but only 3 out of 10 would survive the crazy mutagenic potions they were subjected to in order to become a Witcher. As a result, they would become extremely physically powerful, increased speed and agility, have longer lives than humans, heal much faster than normal, enhanced senses (such as being able to see in the dark), and be able to use basic magic (known as signs), among other things. But they would also become incapable of having children and look... rather creepy. Over time, the Witchers split into different schools and diminished in ranks, and public opinion got worse and worse, with false rumors about them having no emotions and being not too different from the monsters themselves. But even though people now fear and despise Witchers, they need them to take care of the monsters, so they begrudgingly pay them for their duties (originally the Witchers were almost like knights and didn't sell their services). At the time of the novels/TV show, there are very few Witchers still alive, Geralt being one of the last (and there are even fewer during the games, which take place over a decade after the main story of the novels). He also happens to be the only survivor of an experimental concoction of mutagens, which gives him an advantage over most other Witchers.

That should mostly cover the basics just about what Witchers are. In Polish, the word is "wiedźmin," which the author came up with as the male version of the Polish word for witch "wiedźma," and it was translated as "hexer" before the video games handled it as "witcher" (if I remember correctly).

·
I think too much
1,877 Posts
Jeez, Drew. See what you did? Now we're all more confused than ever. :lol:

Just enjoy the time tangled up with your lady and remember to say "No, I was not looking at her tits" every now and then.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
No, some of them are presumably venture capitalists and pastry bakers.

Yes, they are all fucking monster hunters. :lol: Have you never played the games?
Of course not. Have we met? :lol: I play a bit of Diablo and went on a Baldur's Gate II kick years and years ago after an old roommate introduced me to it, but that's about as far as my gaming goes.

Yeah, I mentioned a couple pages ago that this show could be especially difficult to follow if you're not already familiar with the story. I consider myself pretty familiar with the series, but even I was confused by how the episodes can switch 10 years, 20 years, 30 years, 40 years, or more back and forth without any explanation. If you watch the whole show, you'll get an idea of how the timelines fit together, but it's very jarring and confusing at first, even for people who have played all the games and read some or all of the novels.

As for Witchers, as Garrett said, they are all monster hunters. So basically around 1,500 years before the story begins, the world merged with another world (basically, the multiverse theory of there being infinite alternate universes is true in The Witcher ), which is called The Conjuction of the Spheres. This brought monsters to the world and those monsters were so powerful that average people couldn't deal with them like they could, say, a bear or a lion. A group of warrior-monks decided to deal with them and would use potions and mutagens to strengthen themselves. They usually conscripted young boys and put them through intense training, but only 3 out of 10 would survive the crazy mutagenic potions they were subjected to in order to become a Witcher. As a result, they would become extremely physically powerful, increased speed and agility, have longer lives than humans, heal much faster than normal, enhanced senses (such as being able to see in the dark), and be able to use basic magic (known as signs), among other things. But they would also become incapable of having children and look... rather creepy. Over time, the Witchers split into different schools and diminished in ranks, and public opinion got worse and worse, with false rumors about them having no emotions and being not too different from the monsters themselves. But even though people now fear and despise Witchers, they need them to take care of the monsters, so they begrudgingly pay them for their duties (originally the Witchers were almost like knights and didn't sell their services). At the time of the novels/TV show, there are very few Witchers still alive, Geralt being one of the last (and there are even fewer during the games, which take place over a decade after the main story of the novels). He also happens to be the only survivor of an experimental concoction of mutagens, which gives him an advantage over most other Witchers.

That should mostly cover the basics just about what Witchers are. In Polish, the word is "wiedźmin," which the author came up with as the male version of the Polish word for witch "wiedźma," and it was translated as "hexer" before the video games handled it as "witcher" (if I remember correctly).
Super helpful, thanks man! So, this is based on a Polish novel/series? (EDIT - yes it is. My Polish-speaking girlfriend will probably be quite interested to know that)

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Super helpful, thanks man! So, this is based on a Polish novel/series? (EDIT - yes it is. My Polish-speaking girlfriend will probably be quite interested to know that)
Yeah. A lot of the negative reviews of the series are being like "Oh, this is ripping off Game of Thrones," but this novel series actually predates A Song of Ice and Fire, since A Game of Thrones first came out in 1996, while The Last Wish (the first of the 8 Witcher novels) came out in 1993. The main storyline consists of 7 novels from 1993 to 1999, though TECHNICALLY it's 5 novels and 2 short story collections.

A lot of the monsters and ideas in the series come from Polish folklore, so it does pull a lot from Polish culture. There was a Witcher movie in 2001 and a TV series in 2002, both of which were all in Polish (so also predating the Game of Thrones TV series). I haven't seen either, but they got mediocre reviews and looked super low budget (and they were both released in English under the title "The Hexer").

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Jumping back a page because Chris is spouting off fucking nonsense :lol:. Dude, Horizon was a very very good ACTION game, but Witcher 3 is the best RPG of all time. Completely different kinds of games and I don't know why you'd even compare them, except they're both open world on horseback. You have ZERO choice in how Horizon goes, but you have freedom to sculpt the story in W3 in hundreds of different ways.

So basically around 1,500 years before the story begins, the world merged with another world (basically, the multiverse theory of there being infinite alternate universes is true in The Witcher ), which is called The Conjuction of the Spheres. This brought monsters to the world and those monsters were so powerful that average people couldn't deal with them like they could, say, a bear or a lion.
Technically true, but IIRC, monsters and humans were brought into the Elven world, which is where the story takes place. Quote: "It was during this time that the elves say humans... first appeared, their own world having been destroyed." Nerd Reference: https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Conjunction_of_the_Spheres

Drew, go play Witcher 3. You'd love it.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Technically true, but IIRC, monsters and humans were brought into the Elven world, which is where the story takes place. Quote: "It was during this time that the elves say humans... first appeared, their own world having been destroyed." Nerd Reference: https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Conjunction_of_the_Spheres
It's complicated because the world that the series takes place in was originally the world of elves and dwarves, but it did not have magic or monsters. But neither did the world that humans came from. So it's not really clear how many worlds were merged into the world where the elves and dwarves lived. But the elves, dwarves, and humans did not have magic before it and none of those races had encountered monsters before it. So it could have been 3, 4, 5, 6, or more worlds that combined at this time. I don't think the novels, games, or TV shows ever specify how much. Or maybe magic was not present in any of the worlds that combined, and the combination is what gave rise to magic. :shrug:

41 - 60 of 67 Posts