Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw these guys on Friday night:

Them Crooked Vultures | Them Crooked Vultures

I'm not a real big jam-band guy, but they were pretty damn good. TONS of weird offtime stuff, JPJ plays the hell out of just about every instrument under the sun, and the Queens of the Stone Age guy is a pretty charismatic frontman.

Some of the jams went on way too long for my tastes (probably because me and my buddies were the only people not high on something during the show) but overall they put on a really tight show.

Say what you will about Dave Grohl, but man does he beat the shit out of his drums. They played for about 90-100 minutes and he hit hard, hard, hard the entire time and more than kept up with the rest of the band. I never really considered him a technical drummer, but at some points during the show he sounded like a more groove-oriented Portnoy without all of MP's cronic overplaying. In a nutshell, I was really impressed.

Cool show, good band, you guys who are into jam bands would probably enjoy the hell out of their live set.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I couldn't understand what the singer was actually saying 99.9% of the time :lol: but he puts on a good show anyway. Also, he (and the other backup guitarist) can definitely play their asses off. (albeit everything had 900 effects on it)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I couldn't understand what the singer was actually saying 99.9% of the time :lol: but he puts on a good show anyway. Also, he (and the other backup guitarist) can definitely play their asses off. (albeit everything had 900 effects on it)
i red an interview with him,he mostly uses the most absurd rigs.

like a 60's Teisco guitar through a tiny PA amp in stereo with like a gorilla amp,very strange things.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
I dig... check, LOVE JPJ. And I dig Dave, too. Cool fellers.

That Josh singer guy almost kills it for me, though. What you said - can't understand him, and his whole approach to guitar is just something I don't get.

I guess he's a fightin' motherfucker, though. Epic vids on Youtube of him and some fans getting into it, left and right. :lol:

Need to check out more of them before I really make up my mind, I guess, but I just had to post because JPJ and DG impressed me, too.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

About 2/3 of the lyrics are about hookers :lol:
bought the album right after it cane out. Had to listen to it a few times to get into it but I dig the shit out of it now

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Say what you will about Dave Grohl, but man does he beat the shit out of his drums. They played for about 90-100 minutes and he hit hard, hard, hard the entire time and more than kept up with the rest of the band. I never really considered him a technical drummer, but at some points during the show he sounded like a more groove-oriented Portnoy without all of MP's cronic overplaying. In a nutshell, I was really impressed.
I've always been a huge Dave Grohl fan, way back in the day because Nirvana was one of my favorite bands and then for his excellent work with the Foo Fighters, but then later as I became a more aware musician, for his actual drumming. The guy does positively abuse his kits, but (and this is more a rough impression than something I can point to as concrete fact, so feel free to disagree) I also feel like he was a very influential drummer in his time. Nirvana was all about verse/chorus on/off dynamics, and I think more than just simply a distortion pedal a lot of that can be traced to Grohl's drumming. He beat the living SHIT out of his crash and ride cymbols - compare "Smells Like Teen Spirit" to Ratt, Def Leopard (maybe not the best example) or Whitesnake, or even Iron Maiden or early Metallica, and the drums are way more kick/snare/hihat driven compared to what Grohl was doing. Hell, even pre-Grohl Nirvana and post-Grohl Nirvana - the band sounded totally different after he joined.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
All I know about them is their performance on Saturday Night Live awhile back. I wasn't all that impressed with the songwriting.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Listen to the album through a few times. I wasn't that into it either, but I love it now

1 - 10 of 10 Posts