Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I refinished my old Dean ML that needed a new neck (That Dean was actually awesome enough to send me for free!).

It's been a while since I started this, but I finally finished it. I only did the top because I didn't feel like sanding the entire damn thing...

Its a little darker and greener than the pic lets on, but this is pretty close.

Got the holes drilled for the neck, and once I dig out the neck bolts she'll get assembled and then wired up (with a few interesting twists)

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool! Especially the free neck. :eek:
Yeah, considering it was a $250 el cheapo guitar (I paid $175 for it, heh). I had so many issues with it when I got it. None of the bolts or screws were tightened, the neck shifted up and down (And eventually warped on me :nuts:). I wrote a long e-mail to Dean and someone apologized for the QC fail and immediately fed-ex'd me a new neck.

Not bad for a guitar that was meant to be a beater :yesway:

Considering the job Dean did drilling the holes for the neck (Some were drilled at an ANGLE!) it's no wonder the neck never sat right...

Pic before I destroyed it:

Also, I gotta say, the finish came out flawlessly smooth. Which I thought was awesome since I applied it with a sock :lol:

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Love that color, nice job.
Also awesome that they sent you a free neck, talk about customer service!
Yeah, everyone talks shit on Dean (myself included, this thing needed some serious attention when I bought it) but when it came down to them taking action, they stepped right up with no shit.

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hopefully the twists won't be in your new neck!
If this one shits out on me, I can always go Warmoth (If I wanted to drop that kind of cash on this cheapy), because it's just a 24 3/4 neck with 22 frets. My LTD that needs a new neck on the other hand... A 24 3/4 neck with 24 frets is simply non-existent.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
If this one shits out on me, I can always go Warmoth (If I wanted to drop that kind of cash on this cheapy), because it's just a 24 3/4 neck with 22 frets. My LTD that needs a new neck on the other hand... A 24 3/4 neck with 24 frets is simply non-existent.
wrong!
look up the warmoth warheads

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wrong!
look up the warmoth warheads
Yeah, those are just conversion necks with an extended fretboard, it won't mount right at all. Plus it looks like it only comes in Strat and Tele. I don't know how either of those would look on an eclipse body :lol:

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The only thing left to do, besides give it some funky electronics, is to find something to cover the neck pickup cavity. I'm only putting one pickup in this guitar, and want to find something cool that's the right size to just cover the old pickup ring holes. I found a few neat looking soviet belt buckles that might do the job. Looking for vintage stuff.

Oh, and I forgot to mention (i'll take a pic later) I sanded down and matched the headstock. Had to get rid of the Dimbag Darrell crap all over it. (I love DBD, but I don't want his likeness all over the damn guitar. The ML shape is good enough)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.