Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So right now the RG1527 I got from Chris has D Activators, which sound great...through the right rig. These pickups are SUPER fucking hi gain and high output, and through my 6505+ (which I modded to original 5150 specs) it has always sounded more like poo. I tried my other bandmates guitar through the rig since his guitar has a blaze custom, and while the tone of that pickup isn't exactly what I'm looking for it sounded IMMENSELY better and just completely brutal while the 1527 sounds out of control. I turned down the level on my TS7ovChaos and it helped some but not quite all the way. The problem is with the 1527 if I turn the gain down on the amp much past 2 it starts to sound thin. So I think I'm need of a pickup swap, something a little more low-gain since all that's going on with my rig right now is GAIN! :lol: I was thinking maybe an Evo/Blaze Neck set, or maybe a Crunchlab/Liquifire combo although I'm not sure how those pickups would fair for a "metal" type of setting, there's also Blackouts but I think the pickup cavities aren't deep enough and I don't feel like doing any routing, and again don't really need THAT much gain. :lol: Any ideas/suggestions are welcome!

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I have nothing to add, save that I didn't get on with them very well either. :lol: They really sound like actives, which means kind of thin and single-coily until you add fuck-tons of gain. Needless to say, Chris loved them, I didn't. :lol:

That said, I <3 the Blaze bridge in basswood. So many classic 7-string albums were recorded with it that it's just "the" seven string sound, for me.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
I have the crunchlab/liquifire set in my 1527. Initially I was concerned about them not being able to handle metal, but they did with excellence. It is my favorite pickup combo thus far.

·
Registered
374 Posts
the blaze custom and the evo7 would both be great choices. i've had both in my 7680, and currently have the blaze cusotm in it. the blaze custom has more low-mid grind and is a tad fatter whereaas the evo7 is more tight and articulate.

i'm personally not too fond of most bare knuckle pickups, but they're very dynamic and 'moderately' hot for a contemporary humbucker. this can make a high gain rig sound more live in some situations. i didn't like the painkiller in my 7680, but the coldsweats in my 2228 sound great (although they are very bright)

since you apparently don't want a ridiculously hot pickup, i'd forget about the blackouts

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
As a guy with extensive experience with both the DA7 bridge and the EVO7 (which I adore) I must warn you - the output on those pickups is very similar. The DA7 is hotter, but not significantly. In other words, both pickups are pretty fucking hot. Just to warn you.

Although the EVO7 is a great sounding pickup. It's the pickup I use.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I'm with Bob and Drew on this one. I love the sound of an EVO7 bridge but if too much gain is the problem, the EVO7 isn't going to make a huge difference... but a Blaze bridge and either a Blaze or LF neck will get you there. :yesway:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
FWIW, my Blackouts outpace my EVO7 in terms of loudness. I think it's a move in the right direction, but you may wish to consider a Blaze Custom? A more middy Blaze.

EDIT: Also, try not boosting? Again, the Blackouts don't seem to need any boost for most styles.

·
I think too much
1,881 Posts
I'd leave the stock neck pickup alone. I dig the Crunchlab in the bridge, but the liquifire wasn't enough improvement over the stock neck pickup to justify the purchase.

:2cents:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Did you try adding just enough bass with the onboard EQ to fill it back out?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah but adding bass made the amp start to fart out, although the same settings with my bandmates guitar sounded awesome...I think I got lots of experimenting to do! I should just buy all the pickups and say to hell with it! :lol: I'll try playing with pickup height too, we'll see. If I had the money I'd just buy an Axe-Fx and be done with it, I'm so tired of dealing with finnicky tube amps! :lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
did you adjust: string gauge, pickup height? also, did you add *just* enough bass to fill it out?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not pickup height, the pickups are almost 3 mm away from the strings when fretted at the 24th fret...normally I keep my pickups much closer so I can try that, I haven't adjusted string gauge yet I've just got Elixir Nanoweb 10-56's on it tuned to B standard. I'll play more with the bass too.

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
I have nothing to add, save that I didn't get on with them very well either. :lol: They really sound like actives, which means kind of thin and single-coily until you add fuck-tons of gain. Needless to say, Chris loved them, I didn't. :lol:

That said, I <3 the Blaze bridge in basswood. So many classic 7-string albums were recorded with it that it's just "the" seven string sound, for me.
I have Blackouts in my RG 7421 and they don't really sound single coil-ish at all.
More bell like and chimey on cleans perhaps, but absolutely nothing like a single coil :shrug: And the clean sound on the neck pickup is anything but thin.

Anyway, that being said, I'm a Blaze man too and rock a Blaze set in my RG1527 and even though since then, there has been the Blaze Custom and all sorts of Petrucci based 7 string pickups, I have no intention of changing out my Blaze set, they sound awesome:metal:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts