Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would basically be a jackson dinky. I was planning on just buying a natural dinky body and jackson neck and having it painted the color I wanted. I would obviously get picksups, knobs, everything else. I also know someone that is willing to do it for me and would be able to do at a professional level. So my question is is it worth it?

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Paint it yourself! If you're doing a solid collie it's not too hard and it's fun.

Edit:

I can't read :lol:

Do it by yourself still, it won't be too difficult.

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
Warmoth rocks. Order it all and put it togther. I have been super happy with them all around. Here is a pic of mine in case you haven't seen it. They also do Jackson style necks.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
I'm building a Jem swirl right now...It's the only way to go, and have fun doing it. Buy the stuff and put it together yourself. First, it's a great way to learn how to do all the "techie" stuff. THEN you don't have to pay someone to fix or set up your guitars.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
I was thinking to get a bass body and neck and just use the electronics from the Ibanez gsr205 to have a better shaped bass :lol:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I've been checking out Warmoth, it looks really cool. The only thing that bums me out is that I found the soloist bodies but I couldn't find any Dinky bodies.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Yeah I've been checking out Warmoth, it looks really cool. The only thing that bums me out is that I found the soloist bodies but I couldn't find any Dinky bodies.
Is there that big a difference in the body shape? I thought they were the same body.

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
I think that the only difference is in the neck contruction: Dinkys are nolt-on, and Soloists are neck-through. :scratch:

There are archtop versions available on Warmoth too. :idea:

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
A dinky body and Warmoth soloist body are really close in dimensions. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I've been mulling this over myself, lately. Why is it that the Warmoth 7-string necks only fit into the two "7-string" bodies? Do they only offer the proper neck route on those two bodies, or is it something else in addition? I would love to get a double-cutaway body for one of their Pro 7-string necks... if all I had to do was buy a router and expand the neck pocket carefully, I'd do it.

·
Metal Acolyte
603 Posts
I've put together three Warmoth builds in the past, including one that I painted myself. Warmoth parts are top notch, but they can get expensive if you go for fancy options like binding or any of the custom inlay shapes.

I am also finishing a partscaster build of a Dinky this weekend. I had all the hardware (including EMG pickups) as leftovers from previous projects. I Just needed a body and neck which I grabbed off of eBay at prices considerably lower than what it would cost new from Warmoth.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought the main difference was that the soloist had more of a cut out on it for easier fret access. But the soloists are definitely sweet too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts