Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody here use a kindle or similar device?

My two main considerations are the quality/practicality of the actual device as well as the library the associated service offers.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Nook color?

If you're up to it, you can root it and turn it in to a pretty decent (for the price) Android tablet, while still keeping the ereader aspect of it.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
I love my nook. I'd advise against any of the color devices. The entire point of buying one of these instead of a tablet like an ipad is the e-ink screen, which is exactly like reading printed text. There is no added eye fatigue, and to me is the biggest selling point of an e-reader.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
I do literally all my reading from an LCD screen of one kind or another, so the e-ink thing isn't a selling point for me. Personally, while you don't need an ereader to be able to game, or browse the web or anything, I really wouldn't want to drop a couple hundred on a device and then a few bucks more for the actual literature, that pretty much just simulates reading from printed text. (Yes, I know that's the point of the device. :lol:)

If that was my only option, I'd just purchase the paperback versions.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Stupid Motorola Backflip: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.0.13.37.MB300.ATT.en.US Flex/P014) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Do you have an android phone? I have Aldiko on my phone. It's free. Most of the books on it are also free, but you can buy books as well. Right now I'm reading The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
that's what I was referring to. I get very limited strain reading an LCD screen. However, it's nowhere near as comfortable to read as a nook/kindle. If I was going to just read occasionally on the bus or something, I'd just stick to my phone or something else with an LCD screen. But for sustained reading, portability, and price, ereaders win for me. I can't stress enough that it looks EXACTLY like ink on paper. In fact, when I got my nook, I thought the little "charge battery before use" thing was a sticker and tried to peel it off. It turns out it was the actual display.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I have a Kindle. Pretty freaking awesome. The iPad is really just an entirely different class of device that happens to be able to show eBooks.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
The huge advantage of the Kindle is that they have readers for PC, Mac, Android and iPhone... so even if you don't have your Kindle device with you, you can still read your books on any device, and your page location is synchronized between all of them.

If i were looking for a reader, i wouldn't consider anything else. Great screen, great software, and tied into a fantastic store. Oh, and the battery lasts for weeks (if you turn the networking off when you're not using it) not hours. MUCH better for travel.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
that's what I was referring to. I get very limited strain reading an LCD screen. However, it's nowhere near as comfortable to read as a nook/kindle. If I was going to just read occasionally on the bus or something, I'd just stick to my phone or something else with an LCD screen. But for sustained reading, portability, and price, ereaders win for me. I can't stress enough that it looks EXACTLY like ink on paper. In fact, when I got my nook, I thought the little "charge battery before use" thing was a sticker and tried to peel it off. It turns out it was the actual display.
I have a Kindle. Pretty freaking awesome. The iPad is really just an entirely different class of device that happens to be able to show eBooks.
Completely understand. The reason I went with the iPad though is that though the Kindle may be better for reading, it'd be yet another device to carry, which I was trying to avoid. The fact that it does so much more enables me to skip bringing my laptop quite often. It also is better for computer books, due to the number of color diagrams, screen grabs, etc. Just something to consider when buying an ebook reader. The prices can't be beat on most ereaders now though; as low as $130 for a Kindle, right? Pretty damn good deal.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I went iPad because when I travel, it's way more convenient to check my laptop and just bring the iPad with me, but I'm still very interested in trying a "real" reader out. Not to turn this into an Apple thread, but if there's one thing the company can do, it's completely overestimate the battery life of their devices. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Am i the only one who'd rather spend the 1-200$ initial investment on books instead?
Considering I bring my Kindle with me for subway reading, which means it gets thrown into a backpack with six metric tons of law books, the small size, light weight, and ability to get books on the go anywhere are really convenient. Plus, I just moved, and the sheer number of hardcopy books (and CDs, for that matter) I gave away or donated because of size and weight was staggering.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━&#
1,986 Posts
I have both an ipad and every version of the kindle. I FAR prefer the kindle for reading, the reflective display is much easier on my eyes for long reading sessions... the ipad is a great multipurpose device, the kindle is the very best (IMHO) ereader.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
fyi, there are a TON of free and public domain books out there. Almost any "classic" novel is public domain at this point, and they also read pdfs, so any books or documents you have in that format can be read as well.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts