Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Mark IV scroll down to post 19/20

Got my Rivera KR7, the 5150 III 50W and my Randall V2 (gonna sell the Ultra Plus).

Was thinking about getting an OG 5150 but would it be too close to the 5150 III? The Randall Satan with the 6CA7s sounds absolutely nasty in Ola's tube demo video. But then maybe a 2 channel Dual Rectifier? Pittbull? Rockerverb II?

I can't decide!

Please help :nuts:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I don't know how you guys have multiple amps. I inevitably like one more that the others and play that one exclusively.
I'm with you. I'm GASing for a MArk V... but don't know what I'd do with both a V and a Roadster.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I'm with you. I'm GASing for a MArk V... but don't know what I'd do with both a V and a Roadster.
Play them in stereo?

I have a bunch of amps, and play them all for different things.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd been looking at marks, but can't decide if I'd try a IV or a V. I've never played one so I couldn't tell the difference between them other than the control layout on the IV is horrendous. The JP2C looks cool too, but still a bit pricey.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
Try both ;) I think a IV is a little more aggressive sounding, the V a little bigger and more modern sounding. Both have a lot of tonal options. And a IV can do just as good a IIC+ impression as the V

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The original 5150 sounds nothing like a 5150III. A 5150III is far more like a Recto, while a 5150 has that chainsaw grind you hear on early In Flames albums.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I want to say MkIV for the LOG "as the palaces burn" esque tones available, but I'm also pretty sure they quad tracked that one so I don't know how it translates to 1 guitarist in a room :lol:. If Dave's OG/III comparison is correct (I'm guessing it is, I've never A/B'd) then the block letter sounds like a good deal too.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Stereo. This past Sunday I ran my Mini ROV25 and a V:25 into two Mesa 2x12 verts. It sounded like the hammer of the gods, especially with a DD-500 in the loops.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Stereo. This past Sunday I ran my Mini ROV25 and a V:25 into two Mesa 2x12 verts. It sounded like the hammer of the gods, especially with a DD-500 in the loops.
:idea:

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
A 5150 or 5150II will sound different than a 5153. The 5153 is more scooped, brighter, tighter, and not as aggressive. I honestly think an OG 5150 and 5153 would compliment each other perfectly.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Yeah, snag that Mark IV :agreed:

You can always make up a head shell to put it in

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, snag that Mark IV :agreed:

You can always make up a head shell to put it in
Yeah seemed like a good price given ebay and reverb results for them are all higher shipping costs and look rougher. All the music go rounds I've got stuff from have been pretty kick ass. I saw I can order a Mark IV headshell from Mesa if I want too anyway, I'll probably just keep it as a combo since honestly it's a bit easier than having another small head stacked up lol.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got the Mark IV today, only screwed around with the lead channel since I have stuff to do tonight but seems to be pretty kickass. Has all Mesa 12AX7s in the pre spots and Sovtek 5881s in the power amp spots. I'll post a NGD once I get more time with it. It was a bit more beatup than it looked in the photos, but meh it was a few hundred less than the others and works fine from what I can tell so whatever. :lol: They did a kick ass job packing it though.

:yesway:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts