Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't buy into hype, but fuck, the nebulous descriptors/packaging used for these make me want them in my '82 Mockingbird, which is mahogany body/mahogany neck through/short scale. I was planning on swapping the old gross super distortion that is in there now for either a Custom/Distortion/81x and putting in a complementary neck pickup, but it's been a while since I've tried something new.

Two questions. How much bass is there, and how do they split, specifically the neck? Ideally from people that have actually used them, but since there probably aren't that many in the category, third hand internet hearsay from people who have actually bothered to research them is appreciated.

Any other pickup suggestions will also be entertained. I play extreme metal and nothing else, as most of you know.

Also, since I can't be bothered to get out my ruler or google, Kahler Bridges are 50mm spacing, correct?

Oh also, anyone know of any good Black Friday/Cyber Monday coupons that are still going?

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
The "Speed Kills" sticker is worn ...ironically, I trust. :spock:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The "Speed Kills" sticker is worn ...ironically, I trust. :spock:
Yeah, I actually only play Doom Metal below 80 BPM.

It's a reference to Speed Metal/The abstract concept of high velocities being a topic of considerably appealing dangerous sensual feelings, not drugs. :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Just buy a used one from djentstring.arg and let us know what you think. I'm sure it will be glorious.

A DiMarzio Dominion might also be awesome for that all-hog middy tone.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Yeah, I actually only play Doom Metal below 80 BPM.

It's a reference to Speed Metal/The abstract concept of high velocities being a topic of considerably appealing dangerous sensual feelings, not drugs. :lol:
Oh, I know, man. I just was worried you were going all doom metal on us. :lol:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just put a Black Winter bridge in my les paul last week.... conclusion? I think I've found my pickup. Don't know about the coil splitting capabilities, but I can speak a bit about the bass. The bass is very tight and articulate, and I feel is not overpresent in the mix. I also had an Invader pickup which had, imo, too much bass (which could turn flubby if you weren't careful). This pickup gets it right. This pickup really does black and death metal perfectly, which I think is quite the achievement. However, its no one trick pony. I like the cleans and crunch from it as well. Check out Ola Englund's youtube videos for a good introduction to the voicing.

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
Do it bro. They'll be perfect for records your blackened glam album.

·
Jigsaw?
3,913 Posts
Everything I've read and listened to leads me to believe mahogany is a good choice for Black Winters. Got a custom set being built with flat base plates that are going into mahogany body/maple neck but it's going to be a little while until that whole project comes together.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bought a set! :metal:

A bunch of my friends were of the "These are just djent-tard pickups intended for the boutique crowd, just go with a Distortion" mindset. But in the end I couldn't resist the packaging/gothic text.

Although we all know Trve Kvlt is never swapping out your stock pickups.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts