Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember the RG2020X I got earlier this year...

Well, I don't think I included this in the NGD thread, but upon arrival, I found that it was a different guitar than the one pictured, still in a similar (if not slightly worse) condition but with a better bridge. At £350 I wasn't really bothered since it sounds great and communicating this to the seller would have been a pain in the arse anyway.
However, despite being an MIJ Ibanez, the neck pocket is a gappy mess, causing a lot of tuning instability so even though I tried to tame the issue with masking tape, it wasn't a great success.
Since then, it has just continued to go downhill, with one of the bridge posts refusing to move, the top of it broke off, making it no longer adjustable. Plus, the finish is incredibly delicate and as careful as I am with it, it scratches and chips very easily.
Yes, I do have new studs and posts which I plan on installing soon-ish but the whole guitar just feels like junk to me and since there's no point in selling it as the condition would leave the value very low, I've had this idea.
Some may know I study guitar making so I know the ins and outs of working with guitars so I've thought of replacing the studs, stringing it up again to work out how to fix the neck pocket correctly, sorting all of that out (probably with veneer), then stripping the whole thing down, stripping the finish, either getting it refinished or refinishing it myself (depending on how confident I'd be at that) and then reassembling, but with different pickups. Thoughts?

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rocka, from you I'd take that statement with a pinch of salt... ;)
Funnily enough, I think you might like the general idea I'm thinking of going for:

The mockup isn't accurate because I'm thinking of putting in white Black Hawks (don't need cleans from humbuckers because of the Piezo) and the body would (hopefully) be sparkling white, instead of just flat.
Did you loosen the locking screw inside the bridge post?
I never had the allen key for that but the other one moved with ease without needing to move it.. Maybe that was the issue and I've unnecessarily fucked up a bridge post. Oh well, live and learn I guess :lol: At least I have new ones, even though they're not locking.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
I remember reading a couple of times that the wiring for the Piezo is very fragile and difficult to work with, so keep that in mind if you're thinking of excavating everything to do some work on it. It'd be a shame to ruin the Piezo bridge on that, as it's a great feature and fairly hard to come by. If I were you, I'd get that trem post sorted (get another locking one, they're cheap enough) and trade it for something that you can mod easily. Maybe you'll come out with a little cash on your end if you went for a 550/570 type, too.

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not bad at all. But dude, match the headstock :flex:
As much as I prefer that look, redoing the headstock would be a pain in the arse. :lol:
I remember reading a couple of times that the wiring for the Piezo is very fragile and difficult to work with, so keep that in mind if you're thinking of excavating everything to do some work on it. It'd be a shame to ruin the Piezo bridge on that, as it's a great feature and fairly hard to come by. If I were you, I'd get that trem post sorted (get another locking one, they're cheap enough) and trade it for something that you can mod easily. Maybe you'll come out with a little cash on your end if you went for a 550/570 type, too.
Ah, I see. As fed up as I am with this guitar, I don't see any point in selling it because the condition is pure lemon. Chips, dents, dings and scratches all over it, plus the shitty neck pocket. I would love to sell it for something more straightforward ala RG550 (or put the wonga towards my Kemper fund) but I just don't think I'd get enough for it because I can't justify asking that much for such a crapped out guitar. :/

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The dings aren't really an issue. They don't look that bad, and they're to be expected on secondhand guitars (and Ibanez in particular, especially those models). How bad is this neck pocket issue? Can't you just pack it out with cut up business card?
I tried sorting that out with tape, but no avail. But really, I think the mounting holes have become too loose or something because even if it had nothing around it, it shouldn't really move. I still don't think I'd get £350.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
Bonno when I made my guitar I cut the pocket too wide - I covered the outside areas with masking tape to protect, wrapped the neck in cling film and stuffed epoxy putty around the edges.

Stuff the neck back in ( the cling film will stop it ruining the neck, and leave for 24 hours. After that, take the neck out, remove masking tape and clean the edges. :yesway:

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers for the idea Adam, that is definitely one to keep in mind if I do choose to keep and mod it. I'm just not sure what i'm doing now, what with the piezo and all that.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
De-string it, take the neck off and find out what's causing it to move. Fix that, then you should be able to get £500+ for it, even with the chips/dings. Double Edge equipped RG's are pretty rare.

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
De-string it, take the neck off and find out what's causing it to move. Fix that, then you should be able to get £500+ for it, even with the chips/dings. Double Edge equipped RG's are pretty rare.
Hmm, good point but I'm skeptical about getting that much. The finish condition is pretty dismal all around. I can't remember if I showed you?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts