Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought it over 6 years ago now, and apart from one memory upgrade and a new GFX card over the years and some hard drive replacements it is still going. However, as with guitars and gear, one day you just wake up and wonder whether it is time to upgrade... Plus I've noticed it takes a long time to boot these days despite having an SSD as the system drive, and also I am getting worried about how much longer some of the physical discs that have all my samples on them will last.

Until I bought this, I'd generally just built my PCs, but after the one before it developed issues with stability which crashed it constantly whilst recording, I decided it was worth my sanity to make sure it worked, and decided to just buy one. Unfortunately the company that made it has gone out of business, which is a shame.

So, I have 2 options really:

1) Go all out, just buy/build a whole new system. It'd have to be rack mounted, about 4, maybe 6U if 6U meant more space for drives and possibly better cooling. I'd be looking to make sure I felt the difference processor and memory and speed wise. This looks expensive as prebuilt, but I am not adverse to actually buying all the parts and building it, that isn't an issue. I have a GFX card I can reuse as it's only a year old and more than up to the task, and unless motherboards are yet another form factor, a case I can reuse.

2) Take the base system I have, and upgrade parts of it. It's an i7 hex core chip, so that I do not consider a limiting factor, and it has enough ram to not be troubled (I think it has 32gigs of ram). I could then just upgrade all the discs to SSD, or just refresh the discs. Ideally it'd be nice to be able to just buy some stupid size discs and raid1 them as the main storage is for samples etc, so I am not worried about how fast they are retrieved from disk.

So, thoughts? Opinions?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
^ What he said. Sounds like you have more than enough CPU/RAM. Get a spiffy case and a good RAID controller that will let you do some mirrored SSDs along with some inexpensive disk for your sample libraries. Then fill it with bitchin' neons and water cooling, just because it looks badass.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
2) Take the base system I have, and upgrade parts of it. It's an i7 hex core chip, so that I do not consider a limiting factor, and it has enough ram to not be troubled (I think it has 32gigs of ram). I could then just upgrade all the discs to SSD, or just refresh the discs. Ideally it'd be nice to be able to just buy some stupid size discs and raid1 them as the main storage is for samples etc, so I am not worried about how fast they are retrieved from disk.

So, thoughts? Opinions?
Music production is not that taxing. Any i7 released in the last 5-6 years should be more than enough. GPUs can be onboard intel graphics if you want too, and the max RAM you'll use is 8 GB. You really don't need much to record anymore, the software is that good and most hardware can run it easily.

·
Guitarded
Rig: Marshall DSL20
429 Posts
I'd do a fresh install on your maindrive/SSD if things are getting slow and if you're worried about one of your HDDs crashing just grab a new one and set it up as a backup. HDDs are cheap per gb these days. your system specs are pretty ballsy already so I don't think you need any upgrades really. you have plenty of ram to keep multiple sound clips loaded all at once and that hex core i7 is more than beefy enough to keep up with multiple instruments while recording.

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, time for a hard drive refresh when i get the motivation to :)

I had a feeling i just wanted new and shiny, and needed to reign myself in

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Im not sure if its the same for PC, but on a mac don't store too much on your desktop. If you just put everything on the desktop to where its just icons covering everything it'll slow your computer down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts