Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Ear Punisher
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys and gals. I've had my Blackstar HT-5 for about a year now and I love it. However, I believe it is time to move on to something that will best suit my goal. I really want to write and record my own tunes in my own home studio. I bought an Audiobox USB interface and downloaded Reaper, but the amp, as you all know, isn't ideal for anything much heavier than Metallicaish type stuff, and I still need some type of effects setup. Also, I'll need mics, monitors, etc. Anyway, I may be coming into around $1500 soon, so I'm thinking of trying to set myself up a better system.

I have decided on a Laney Ironheart Studio for the amp. This is pretty much a no brainer for what I want to accomplish. I don't need the 50 - 100 watts a 5150 or rectifier has, since I'll probably never play a huge arena :rofl:. I'm certain I can still play small venues with the 15 watt IRT, and the 1 watt feature will honestly be most likely plenty for home recording. The Laney will also expand on my recording options and get me into broot territory :flex:.

Now here is where I need the opinions of experienced folks. I want a rack mount effects unit as well, and I need help deciding on which one I purchase. Since my budget is probably going to be $1500, and the Laney will cost me $700 with a 1x12 cabinet, that leaves me around $800 to work with. That means there is no way I'll EVER get an AxeFX, so please don't suggest that one :squint:. The ones I have to work with within my budget are the T.C. Electronics G Major, The Digitech GSP 1101, and the Avid Eleven Rack. I'm thinking the Laney Studio and the Eleven Rack would be a beast of a system :idea: . What are your thoughts?

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
The eleven rack has some excellent amp modelling and can be had very cheap, but a lot say it's a bit lacking in the fx department compared to say a pod HD. Would you consider using the 11r for amp modelling over the ironheart and pair it with a clean power amp? The pod HD is coming down in price too now it's been superceded by the HD X series, and has a lot of decent fx in it. I don't really have much experience with other units but I've heard good things about the gsp 1101

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Why dont you just use free plugins to record with and get the laney..?

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
the eleven rack kicks ass, but for small high gain amps the laney will work great, also look into the Baron snot watt, i hear great things about that and it looks cool :lol:

·
Ear Punisher
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could get an Axe Standard...
Have not found any on eBay. Not sure where to get one or what it costs.

The eleven rack has some excellent amp modelling and can be had very cheap, but a lot say it's a bit lacking in the fx department compared to say a pod HD. Would you consider using the 11r for amp modelling over the ironheart and pair it with a clean power amp? The pod HD is coming down in price too now it's been superceded by the HD X series, and has a lot of decent fx in it. I don't really have much experience with other units but I've heard good things about the gsp 1101
Well, I'm not sure I could work my budget around getting the 11r, a power amp, a speaker cab, and another effects unit like the pod. I'll do a little research on the idea though. I've heard good and bad about all three mentioned units, but the gsp and 11r seem to be the most favorable of the three so far.

Wirelessly posted

Why dont you just use free plugins to record with and get the laney..?
So use the USB on the Laney to record to Reaper with effects plugins for the DAW? I'd like to do away with the Audiobox interface I have if I can. I guess that would work for studio recording, but if I do play a venue I will have no effects right?

the eleven rack kicks ass, but for small high gain amps the laney will work great, also look into the Baron snot watt, i hear great things about that and it looks cool :lol:
That would leave me in roughly the same situation with my current HT-5 as far as small venues.

·
Ear Punisher
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Why does it need to be a rack piece? I'd just get an M13 used, and upgrade the switches.
So possibly the Laney and an M13 for effects? Maybe. However, thinking about longevity and the possibility of needing something for larger venues later, the 11r would allow me to add an inexpensive power amp and effectively make the sky the limit right? Also, I'm thinking that for around the same price point I may as well go with the unit with the most features. You're right though. I don't necessarily have to have rack equipment, but it would be nice to not have to deal with a ton of stop boxes. I'm trying to make these decisions/purchases with scalability in mind. I'm afraid of spending, what is to me, a ton of money on stuff only to need more stuff later. I know there will always be something I will probably need, but I want to get as much bang for my buck and cover as much ground as I can now.

·
Bork!
8,292 Posts
I wouldn't use an 11R for live performances. I know other people who do an get along just fine, but there are a few things about it that make it a bit more suited for studio use than anything. The lack of effects passing over between patches, the slight delay in switching from patch to patch, and the cab sims being piss-poor for metal rhythm tones are certainly enough to make me never want to use one live.

It does make for some killer tones, though. I have a whole thread about it if you'd like to hear some examples.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
Shawn, what's the power amp modelling on it like? Would it be usable with a clean power amp and a speaker cab (thus not needing the crap built in IRs, but still using full amp modelling ?)

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
So possibly the Laney and an M13 for effects? Maybe. However, thinking about longevity and the possibility of needing something for larger venues later, the 11r would allow me to add an inexpensive power amp and effectively make the sky the limit right? Also, I'm thinking that for around the same price point I may as well go with the unit with the most features. You're right though. I don't necessarily have to have rack equipment, but it would be nice to not have to deal with a ton of stop boxes. I'm trying to make these decisions/purchases with scalability in mind. I'm afraid of spending, what is to me, a ton of money on stuff only to need more stuff later. I know there will always be something I will probably need, but I want to get as much bang for my buck and cover as much ground as I can now.
I would just go for the Laney and the M13, and live go from the DI out from the IRT to the board. That's what it's for, besides the obvious studio use.

·
Ear Punisher
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I would just go for the Laney and the M13, and live go from the DI out from the IRT to the board. That's what it's for, besides the obvious studio use.
I'm looking into that idea Jeff. I just thought maybe the 11r would offer more features at a lesser cost. The 11r can be had off the bay for around $4oo where the M13 seems to run $500. Also, the POD HD500 seems to be similar to the M13 at the same value except it has actual amp modeling and recording features. What's your :2cents: on that?

No one has really mentioned the G Major, and I also ran across a Rocktron unit that is comparable. Are any of those worth looking into?

So can anyone tell me if the Laney's recording features work well? Seems like I've read that people have been having problems with the USB recording.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
Also, the POD HD500 seems to be similar to the M13 at the same value except it has actual amp modeling and recording features. What's your :2cents: on that.
Yup, that's pretty much it - m13 with amp modelling. I'm not sure if m13 can be used as a usb interface or if it has an fx loop like the hd500. If price is the same I'd say go hd500 over the m13 for the convenience of extra amp models (even if you have the laney for that, it might have nicer cleans or something) and will probably be easier to sell later on.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Unless you NEED live capability, and you just want low volume tones, the ENGL e530 preamp is the best option IMO. Honestly one of the best sounding modern ENGL units, unless you absolutely love the amount of compression on the others. It has a built in power section (SS) that is .5 watts. Killer sound for practicing. Honestly, at bedroom volumes, a tube power section isn't going to do you much good anyways.

·
Ear Punisher
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unless you NEED live capability, and you just want low volume tones, the ENGL e530 preamp is the best option IMO. Honestly one of the best sounding modern ENGL units, unless you absolutely love the amount of compression on the others. It has a built in power section (SS) that is .5 watts. Killer sound for practicing. Honestly, at bedroom volumes, a tube power section isn't going to do you much good anyways.
Yeah, I'm pretty set on the Laney. The 1 watt feature will allow me to get fully saturated tones at pretty low volumes, but I can always plug into the 15 watt input for live stuff. I'll just need the effects unit. I'm looking at rack units because they are more cost effective than individual pedals and amp modeling would be an added bonus with something like the HD500 or 11R. I think it will be a tossup between those two at this point.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Can't go wrong with the Laney :yesway: I tried the Studio once over and it's fucking awesome. I've got the IRT-15 here at home and it's perfect for home use.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Do you run a boost in front of your HT-5? I've found that with my Bad Monkey in front, I can get pretty extreme amounts of gain. It might be a cheap thing to try before you buy a bunch of new stuff.

Also, "Metallica levels" of gain is quite a bit; is there a reason you need more? I mean, I totally understand if you just want something better, or a different flavor, but especially for recording, you don't need that much gain on tap.

·
Ear Punisher
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you run a boost in front of your HT-5? I've found that with my Bad Monkey in front, I can get pretty extreme amounts of gain. It might be a cheap thing to try before you buy a bunch of new stuff.

Also, "Metallica levels" of gain is quite a bit; is there a reason you need more? I mean, I totally understand if you just want something better, or a different flavor, but especially for recording, you don't need that much gain on tap.
I know I could boost the HT-5 some, but it is what it is. Plus it is almost too loud for home use, yet not loud enough to do much with in the live setting really. Then there is the need for extra interfaces/mics to record with, etc., and I'd still need effects. Could I make the HT-5 work? Probably yes, but it would take more money than I want to spend on it to always be lacking in the brootz metal genre.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts