Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mac to Windows

I swear to god this isn't a troll post.

So, I've got a 2015 MacBook Pro 15", which is a fine machine, but I'd like something lighter. My wife is blind as a bat (literally legally blind without her glasses), so I want to give her my 15", and get a snazzy new 13" MBP.

The problem? multiple problems, actually.

• Expensive. As. Fuck. >$2500 for the one I'd get, due to port requirements
  • Only USB-C, which means more dough dropped into accessories and bullshit
  • Apparently a significant issue with the (shitty) "butterfly" keyboards, enough so that there's now a class-action lawsuit (I bet everyone will be psyched to get their $1.23 settlement)

If the Air was available with 16GB, I'd just grab one of those, since they're still reasonably priced, have the old keyboard, and are light.

At this point, I'm looking at a Surface Pro to carry, and a beefy as fuck home machine I can build myself (like back in the good old days).

I've actually got slightly older Thinkpad T series with Win10 on it, loaded up with my Toontrack shit, Reaper, and Adobe Premiere and Photoshop Elements, to try and replicate what I do on the Mac.

All this being said, I am typing this from my MBP right now, and it feels like slipping back into a pair of comfy Vans after two days with the Windows machine.

I am discouraged. I love the MacOS, but I'm fucking tired of the "LET'S MAKE EVERYTHING THIN AS FUCK AND NOT UPGRADABLE EVER!!!11" thought process.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I am discouraged. I love the MacOS, but I'm fucking tired of the "LET'S MAKE EVERYTHING THIN AS FUCK AND NOT UPGRADABLE EVER!!!11" thought process.
:agreed:

I hate that Steve Jobs and his hard on for a completely closed system has left us at this point. I'd love to see OS-X be officially supported on other hardware platforms.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I hate that Steve Jobs and his hard on for a completely closed system has left us at this point. I'd love to see OS-X be officially supported on other hardware platforms.
Yup. If Ubuntu can run smooth and stable as fuck on absolutely everything I've ever tried it on, they can figure it out for fucking MacOS. They won't though, because they're a hardware company.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Yup. If Ubuntu can run smooth and stable as fuck on absolutely everything I've ever tried it on, they can figure it out for fucking MacOS. They won't though, because they're a hardware company.
I reject that argument, considering they barely break even on their laptops and desktops. They make all of their money on mobile devices. If they did the Microsoft thing and charged $150 for their operating system, I'd still pay it, just because it's that fucking good.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I reject that argument, considering they barely break even on their laptops and desktops. They make all of their money on mobile devices. If they did the Microsoft thing and charged $150 for their operating system, I'd still pay it, just because it's that fucking good.
Couldn't agree more. I keep waiting for that moment when they say fuck it and either open source it, or at least open it to other platforms, and just concentrate on mobile.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
You're going from a 15" to a 13"? Why not save up and go for maybe an 11" or an 8" or something? ;)

·
Read Only
10 Posts

I doubt that'll ever happen. One of the big reasons that OSX is so stable is that Apple controls both the hardware and the software. As soon as they start deviating from that, you end up with the Windows clusterfuck that it is today.

Except that it wouldn't be that good, because it would have to be loaded up with all sorts of non-proprietary garbage drivers and bloatware in order for it to work with whatever non-Apple stuff people throw in their cases.

My last iMac lasted me nine years, and it's still a damn decent machine today that can run Reaper with plugins galore, D3 and a pile of Steam games on max AA, you name it. I only really upgraded because I wanted a 5k screen. The only thing I upgraded on my original machine from 2009 was to throw in an SSD, and it still runs better than any of the ridiculously high end Windows boxes I have at work.

I'd rather just pay the premium price. You get what you pay for.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Ubuntu is smooth and stable as fuck because you can't fucking do anything useful with it other than run core server applications. Fuck yeah, TFTP server! :woohoo:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ubuntu is smooth and stable as fuck because you can't fucking do anything useful with it other than run core server applications. Fuck yeah, TFTP server! :woohoo:
:lol: well this is true. Though it does run Plex and Owncloud like a fucking champ.

I think next time I'll just go your route, and do an iMac. I've been happy just carrying my iPad around for mobile shit.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
I'd argue the OS stability is more to due with the lack of backwards compatibility than the hardware. Apple simply does not support their old releases. Even more so than their lack of hardware support this was the main reason their foray into enterprise failed miserably.

With the issues on the macbook pro models for the last few years (like systems falling apart due to heat venting onto glue, etc.) I'd probably avoid them to be honest. My macbook air is sort-of designe the same way (air venting onto the screen) however its heat output is minuscule compared to a geforce laptop gpu.

:lol: well this is true. Though it does run Plex and Owncloud like a fucking champ.

I think next time I'll just go your route, and do an iMac. I've been happy just carrying my iPad around for mobile shit.
Whatever you do, do not get the imac pro lol.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I was on the fence and opted for the cheaper option. If there was a slightly less expensive pro I'd have gone for it but the entry point was more than I was willing to spend.

This thing is pretty ace though:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd argue the OS stability is more to due with the lack of backwards compatibility than the hardware. Apple simply does not support their old releases. Even more so than their lack of hardware support this was the main reason their foray into enterprise failed miserably.

With the issues on the macbook pro models for the last few years (like systems falling apart due to heat venting onto glue, etc.) I'd probably avoid them to be honest. My macbook air is sort-of designe the same way (air venting onto the screen) however its heat output is minuscule compared to a geforce laptop gpu.

well this is true. Though it does run Plex and Owncloud like a fucking champ.

I disagree about backwards compatibility. My wife's MBP is 9 years old, running High Sierra just fine. How far back do you expect to go?

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
I disagree about backwards compatibility. My wife's MBP is 9 years old, running High Sierra just fine. How far back do you expect to go?
I mean software specifically not hardware. Windows is garbage because you can still run stuff written for windows 95 on it lol. Apple cuts out a lot of the crap that would lead to that so you get a nice stable system. :yesway: You could also see it on sun/solaris where even their newest stuff was really slow. It's kind of a good and bad thing that AMD came up with the 64-bit extension for x86.

Intel not changing their basic CPU architecture much since nehalem (2009) also is a big boon to systems being very stable now. :yesway:

If you think about it the same timeframe in the 90s or 00s how many different CPU architectures we had. 486, pentium, pentium pro, pentium mmx, pentium 2/3, pentium 4 just from intel. Now basically we just get smaller die process, new memory standards and PCIE types baked in to make "new" CPUs. Like my old 3930k was a DDR3 part, the 4900 line was a die shrink, and the 5900 was the same chip with DDR4 memory controller, and the 6900 was that with a die shrink :lol: The 7000 series is the first line in a while to actually get something new (turbo boost 3).

I was on the fence and opted for the cheaper option. If there was a slightly less expensive pro I'd have gone for it but the entry point was more than I was willing to spend.

This thing is pretty ace though:

Yeah the price upcharge is not worth it, at all. That looks like a kickass box though, it's nice you can get 64GB on the desktop parts now though it's pretty overkill lol.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
This is exactly my point about Mac vs. PC. A good Windows machine may be less expensive than a Macbook Pro, but you're going to need to buy at least two of them in the same time span.

How many people do you see in your office rocking a 2008 Dell Latitude? I bet the answer is zero. :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is exactly my point about Mac vs. PC. A good Windows machine may be less expensive than a Macbook Pro, but you're going to need to buy at least two of them in the same time span.

How many people do you see in your office rocking a 2008 Dell Latitude? I bet the answer is zero. :lol:
We're an HP shop. But I get your point. :D

·
M3 Aficionado
1,278 Posts
My two cents:

$0.01) I'm macOS at home and find the Windows laptops at work frustrating. Everything takes too many clicks, and too much screen real estate.

$0.02) Regarding the Surfaces, we had these are work and the company is in the process of replacing them with Dell Touchscreen Laptops.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I am the oposite. I have a shiny new work 2015 MBP and I love it. My I have a mid 2012 MBP and a mid 2012 Mac Pro that are going to the grave with me :lol:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Do it. My 4 year old PC runs as good as it did when it was new and still runs all new games coming out just fine. In a few years I might end up upgrading the RAM (8 GB right now) and possibly the graphics card (if the games I play start getting too demanding for the Geforce GTX770 in there right now), but I can certainly see myself using the same PC 4 or 5 years from now.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
My Hackintosh is still running fast and lean, having had it for about two years now. I spec'd it out kinda close to the Mac Pro, and I remember it running me about $1k to get together (used PCPartPicker and Tonyx86). Luckily I had a buddy who knew how to work through the Hackintosh extras you need :yesway:

Attachments

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My Hackintosh is still running fast and lean, having had it for about two years now. I spec'd it out kinda close to the Mac Pro, and I remember it running me about $1k to get together (used PCPartPicker and Tonyx86). Luckily I had a buddy who knew how to work through the Hackintosh extras you need :yesway:

No way am I doing that. Plus, I'm thinking I'll stick with laptops.

I think for now I'll pick up an Air for my wife (which has the old keyboard), and keep my 15" for awhile, to ride out whatever fuckery they figure out with the shitty butterfly keyboard bullshit. I lasted all of two days using Windows as my main machine, before I switched back. Which, btw, felt like slipping on my softest, comfiest concert T, worn in jeans, and my favorite Vans. :D

1 - 20 of 54 Posts