Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I've got a Stinkpad T61 that originally shipped with Vista, and I need to "downgrade" it to XP. Unfortunately, booting off the XP CD gives me a "no hard drive in machine" type of error, and reboots.

I used Linux's disk utility to wipe the Vista partition, but no dice. I wiped the recovery partition, and still no dice. I can install Linux on the machine, boot it, everything works fine. STILL no dice. The damn XP installer refuses to recognize the hard drive.

I have no clue what to do at this point, other than chuck it through a window. :noway:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I can find a disc for it. :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
:lol:

Hmm... Have you tried clearing the BIOS? I think that's what I had to do once, had to remove that jumper to get something to clear-up, but then, I don't know how hard that would be on a laptop.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
OK, so I've got a Stinkpad T61 that originally shipped with Vista, and I need to "downgrade" it to XP. Unfortunately, booting off the XP CD gives me a "no hard drive in machine" type of error, and reboots.

I used Linux's disk utility to wipe the Vista partition, but no dice. I wiped the recovery partition, and still no dice. I can install Linux on the machine, boot it, everything works fine. STILL no dice. The damn XP installer refuses to recognize the hard drive.

I have no clue what to do at this point, other than chuck it through a window. :noway:
Windows XP says there's no drive because the T61 comes with a SATA drive, which XP can't see unless you press F6 and load the driver for it from a USB floppy drive. Follow these instructions do that:

Lenovo Support & downloads - Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver for Windows XP, Vista (32bit) - ThinkPad

The alternative is to go into the BIOS and change the SATA controller from AHCI to "compatibility" mode. This sacrifices some performance (not really noticeable, IMO) and allows XP to see it as an EIDE drive, and allowing a normal installation.

This is done by F12-->Enter Setup-->Config-->Serial ATA-->AHCI to Compatibility

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeff FTW. :yesway:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Those still exist? Good lord... Other than when clearing out all the old junk from my office, i haven't even SEEN a floppy in at least a decade.
Dave: :yesway::metal:

Darren: unfortunately with XP it's still necessary to load the SATA or SCSI drivers off of a USB'd floppy drive if the XP disk doesn't have the drivers built in. It never does. Another alternative (but not really worth the trouble) is to slipstream the SATA or SCSI drivers into the XP install disk.

Kind of a pain in the ass, but if you're doing more than one machine, I guess I could see it. But at that point you're better off using Clonezilla or Disk Image XML to clone the whole install and do it that way.

I think the problem went away with Vista (can't really say too much, since I never used that pile of shit for more than a day) and doesn't seem to exist on 7. I've been testing 7 on a Stinkpad T61p for awhile here, and it's pretty solid. Not OSX, but as good Windows will probably ever be.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[action=Dave]makes a note of who to bug with Thinkpad questions.[/action]

I am mainly a server admin, but since I work for a real small company, I am responsible for the desktop support, too. My Windows/PC skills are so rusty that they need to go to a body shop for a frame off restore. :(

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
[action=Dave]makes a note of who to bug with Thinkpad questions.[/action]

I am mainly a server admin, but since I work for a real small company, I am responsible for the desktop support, too. My Windows/PC skills are so rusty that they need to go to a body shop for a frame off restore. :(
Feel free to ask anytime. I'm kind of a jack of all trades here; because it's a small company as well, I'm responsible for all Linux servers, share responsibility for Windows servers,and am responsible for all OS X workstations and laptops, as well as 200 desktops and laptops, the latter of which I'm moving to all Thinkpads from HP.

Luckily we bypassed the shitfest that is Vista, and should be able to go directly to 7 for Windows users.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Basically, that is what I am, but with far less seats. We have OS X, Windows XP, and a handful of Vista 64 machines (that are probably gonna be dumped for x86_64 Linux). We just happened to inherit a few Vista laptops that came with employees from our parent company, and I need to "downgrade" them.

I really haven't been professionally responsible for Windows (other than the occational adding or removing users from a single server?) since NT 4.0 was new. I'm really, really out of the loop.

·
I don't like it.
11,070 Posts
IMO, download an XP ISO with SP3 slipstreamed in. As long as you hold a license, you can download XP all you want. It should work with SATA controllers.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
IMO, download an XP ISO with SP3 slipstreamed in. As long as you hold a license, you can download XP all you want. It should work with SATA controllers.
Nope, doesn't work. At least not with the newer Intel SATA controllers found in the T61 and up. It'll only see it if the machine's BIOS is set to compatibility.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Nope, doesn't work. At least not with the newer Intel SATA controllers found in the T61 and up. It'll only see it if the machine's BIOS is set to compatibility.
tell that to my box :shrug:
i had to set it to compatability to get it to install ubuntu right (graphic installer would glitch out, no idea how thats connected but its how it was) but turned it back to ahci after that. It had already installed fine with xp SP2 in ahci mode. perhaps the more recent disks have the driver slipstreamed?

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
tell that to my box :shrug:
i had to set it to compatability to get it to install ubuntu right (graphic installer would glitch out, no idea how thats connected but its how it was) but turned it back to ahci after that. It had already installed fine with xp SP2 in ahci mode. perhaps the more recent disks have the driver slipstreamed?
With a Thinkpad?

I tried it this morning with a Windows SP2 disk (MS Volume Licensing) with SP3 slipstreamed, and it didn't work with it in AHCI.

Linux (Ubuntu 9.04) did see the drive in AHCI though.

·
Party Röcker
1,372 Posts
Damn, beat me to it. I ran into this problem with a Dell laptop but didn't have access to a floppy drive, so I was out of luck.

Jeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts