Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I prefer Jon's version, but, yeah, this is a great song.
The piano bonus track on Wake of Magellan? That ones pretty cool too,

I always thought that HOTMK was my favorite Savatage album, but I've been playing Edge of Thorns alot lately. I love the guitar tones on that album, certainly doesn't sound like alot of other morrisound albums.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I always thought that HOTMK was my favorite Savatage album, but I've been playing Edge of Thorns alot lately. I love the guitar tones on that album, certainly doesn't sound like alot of other morrisound albums.
Yeah, but the songwriting on EoT is pretty blah, even if the execution is fantastic.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, but the songwriting on EoT is pretty blah, even if the execution is fantastic.
I disagree with that, its a different Savatage for sure, but I think the songwriting didn't get blah till Handful of Rain. All the albums after that have good songs but they aren't as strong as Mountain King/Gutter Ballet/Edge of Thorns

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I LOVE This Isn't What We Meant. Probably my favorite 'Tage track, and then Believe.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Sleep is the last recorded thing Criss Oliva ever laid down. :( Beautiful song.

My favorite solo of his is this tune, jump to about 3:25. It's not the most shreddy thing he's ever done, and it's short, but man is it just LOADED with feel. (Ignore the stupid video).

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Sidebar:

Best 'Tage w/Jon Singing:

Best 'Tage w/Zakk Singing: (Listen to the whole thing, it has like a dozen movements in it)

Though honestly, you could pretty much pick any track off of TWOM and it'd be Zakk's best. 'Tis my favorite Tage album by a longshot, and I'm a monster fan of all of their stuff - especially the Zakk albums. Circle II Circle might be kind of mediocre, but he sang his fucking ass off on the Savatage albums.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sidebar:

Best 'Tage w/Jon Singing:
YouTube - savatage - hall of the mountain king

Best 'Tage w/Zakk Singing: (Listen to the whole thing, it has like a dozen movements in it)
YouTube - Savatage-Track 13-The Hourglass

Though honestly, you could pretty much pick any track off of TWOM and it'd be Zakk's best. 'Tis my favorite Tage album by a longshot, and I'm a monster fan of all of their stuff - especially the Zakk albums. Circle II Circle might be kind of mediocre, but he sang his fucking ass off on the Savatage albums.
I'm not that big a fan of TWOM, I love the title track (the last canon part is fucking orgasmic) but the rest of the album kinda falls flat for me. I think DWD is the best of the post criss era.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I'm not that big a fan of TWOM, I love the title track (the last canon part is fucking orgasmic) but the rest of the album kinda falls flat for me. I think DWD is the best of the post criss era.
Two different types of 'Tages, really. DWD is (imo, of course) a straight up rock record full of badass riffs, whereas TWOM is really one giant piece of music split up into listenable chunks. It's tough to compare the two because they're the same band, but so different.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Two different types of 'Tages, really. DWD is (imo, of course) a straight up rock record full of badass riffs, whereas TWOM is really one giant piece of music split up into listenable chunks. It's tough to compare the two because they're the same band, but so different.
Totally right on the badass riffs. Doesn't Matter Anyways is Savatage at its most badass.

I'm on a total savatage binge today.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
DWD is probably my favorite. Although, I listened to Morphine Child the other day and was blown away at just how "short" a 10-minute song can be!

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wish they would do a Savatage reunion. But with the popularity of TSO it looks like that will never happen. Shame cause I think Savatage is up there with the big guns (priest,maiden).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts