Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Are you kidding me? I actually thought Maroon 5's first album was pretty cool. I was expecting them to take off and bring back a little bit of that pop-ish rock from the 80s like U2 or Oingo Boingo or something.

Now they just sound like a mid-30s male Beyonce. Everything about this song and video sucks. This is terrible. IMO and I'm not trying to preach I'm as bad about this as anyone, but this is what music has come to now that everyone is pirating music.

Simply freaking awful.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

It reminds me an awful lot of their second album man, although I too dug the first

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
God. Awful autotune, and total lack of any of the redeeming qualities of their first album.

:noway:

·
18,790 Posts
IMO and I'm not trying to preach I'm as bad about this as anyone, but this is what music has come to now that everyone is pirating music.
Actually, I'd argue that it's things like this that lead to people downloading. Most people I know have lost all confidence in buying CDs because they've been ripped off too many times, paying too much for an album with cheap packaging, and maybe 2 good songs if you're lucky. That's why pop acts are "struggling" (though still living in mansions I notice, what's the deal there?) and bands like Nine Inch Nails and Porcupine Tree, who give fans a reason to buy the CDs and the merch, are doing quite well, and actually benefiting from free downloads. Hell, I became a fan of Porcupine Tree because I downloaded "In Absentia", and at this point I'd buy any CD of theirs completely blind. Tell me they have something new out and I'll give you my credit card number before you even tell me the title :lol:

But yeah, I haven't really liked anything from Maroon 5 since:

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Hmmm.... Maroon 5 were a guilty pleasure of mine. Their first album was simply fun. The second? ...Well it's more of the same disco guitar esque stuff that gets boring after a minute.

Hell, I became a fan of Porcupine Tree because I downloaded "In Absentia", and at this point I'd buy any CD of theirs completely blind. Tell me they have something new out and I'll give you my credit card number before you even tell me the title :lol:
Same here, I downloaded In Absentia and Immediately bought it, along with deadwing that very same day. And I immediately pre-ordered The Incident on vinyl and CD when it was announced. ...I regret that decision :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
This isn't my favorite Maroon 5 song - the chorus grows on you after a couple of listens, but the verse is blah. That said, Miley Cyrus and her ilk are a much bigger indication of what's wrong with the music business than this is - even if he's autotuned, at least when you go see them this band can actually play.

·
18,790 Posts
And I immediately pre-ordered The Incident on vinyl and CD when it was announced. ...I regret that decision :lol:
Give it another chance, it grows on you. I gave it another listen before going to see them live a few months back and it grew on me a bunch, and then seeing them play it live, start to finish, sealed the deal for me :lol: It definitely doesn't work as individual songs, though (minus "Time Flies" and maybe "I Drive the Hearse") and needs to be listened to from beginning to end.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts