Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning up my 2004 Ibanez RG321MHMOL and noticed the fretboard was looking pretty horrible (I only just got this guitar).

I gave the board a thorough cleaning, then applied the bore oil and rubbed it in with a toothbrush. Left it to sit and soak for 20 or so minutes before wiping away the excess.

Here are some before and after pics.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I've found that the oil really helps rosewood come back to life after looking dead and dry. Keeps the board that way for much longer than lemon oil does too (In my experience anyway). Next restring and this sucker will get a fret polish too.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
i use guitar honey, but that is nice results. what do you polish your frets with?

I used to use mothers wheel polish but now I use Flitz, its a softer polish than mothers even.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
i use guitar honey, but that is nice results. what do you polish your frets with?

I used to use mothers wheel polish but now I use Flitz, its a softer polish than mothers even.
I always just used whatever I could get my hands on but for a long time now I've used T-Cut and it's great. I think I saw Stitch use it a while back so I tried it and haven't looked back since. Does such an awesome job on frets.

P.S. OP, that RG321MH will look great when it's done. Post pics when your finished.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use 0000 steel wool on my frets and mask off the board with the blue low stick painters tape 3m (I think) make.

I'll definitely post some pics once she's all cleaned up. On an unrelated note. See the body of this guitar? Does that mahogany look to be grain filled to you guys? or is the dark grain just a result of the oiling?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I'll definitely post some pics once she's all cleaned up. On an unrelated note. See the body of this guitar? Does that mahogany look to be grain filled to you guys? or is the dark grain just a result of the oiling?
Not sure but basically all of the RG321MH's I've seen have all looked the same way too. I've been tempted to grab one in the past to go along with my basswood RG421. The mahogany would go nicely alongside it.

Are you going to be throwing some new pickups in there too?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure if I should chuck some new pickups in yet or not. The guitar cost me less than a set of new dimarzios. But in saying that... It's a surprisingly nice guitar!

The last owner did upgrade the pickups, But only to some stocks from a higher end Ibanez than this one. So not much of a real improvement. Maybe if I can find a second hand dimarzio set that tickles my fancy I'll snag em and throw them in.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I'm not sure if I should chuck some new pickups in yet or not. The guitar cost me less than a set of new dimarzios. But in saying that... It's a surprisingly nice guitar!

The last owner did upgrade the pickups, But only to some stocks from a higher end Ibanez than this one. So not much of a real improvement. Maybe if I can find a second hand dimarzio set that tickles my fancy I'll snag em and throw them in.
A set of Evo's would be great in that thing. Mahogany too, perfect. That thing would just scream. :yesway:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts