Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this, because I was fat, and this is exactly why. Desk job + no exercise + getting older + burritos are tasty = congrats, you're fat.

Women: 1 hour
Men 3.5 hours

Average Obese Woman Gets Just 1 Hour of Exercise a Year: Study

Obese men don't do much better, breaking a sweat only 3.6 hours annually, researchers say
THURSDAY, Feb. 20, 2014 (HealthDay News) -- A new study suggests that obese women get just one hour of vigorous exercise a year, while obese men don't do much better at fewer than four hours.

The findings startled the researchers, whose main focus was finding better ways to measure how much exercise people get.

"They're living their lives from one chair to another," said Edward Archer, a research fellow with the Nutrition Obesity Research Center at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. "We didn't realize we were that sedentary. There are some people who are vigorously active, but it's offset by the huge number of individuals who are inactive."

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than one in three people in the United States is obese, a step above being overweight. Obesity boosts the risk of cardiovascular problems such as heart disease and stroke, diabetes and some cancers.

One expert did note that the definition of vigorous exercise was very limited in the study, and the researchers themselves acknowledged that the device used to track physical activity did not measure swimming or biking very well.

In the new study, researchers examined the results of a 2005-2006 government survey of adults aged 20 to 74. Among other things, the survey tracked the weight, diet and sleep patterns of nearly 2,600 adults.

Accelerometer devices were used to track their movements, providing insight into how much they exercised.

The study defined "vigorous" exercise as activities that burn fat like jogging and jumping rope, but not sexual activity. According to Archer, who was at the University of South Carolina when the study was conducted, sex isn't as much of a fat-burning activity as certain other kinds of exercise so it doesn't qualify as vigorous.

The researchers found that the average obese woman gets the equivalent of about one hour of exercise a year. For men, it's 3.6 hours a year.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I was hoping those hours were a week. A year? That's incredibly sad.

I have to say, though, I still think that desk job + getting older is not a good crutch or excuse for people being overweight.

Desk job + getting older + eating poorly + no exercise = bad lifestyle idea

Desk job + getting older + eating properly + exercising regularly = good lifestyle idea

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I have to say, though, I still think that desk job + getting older is not a good crutch or excuse for people being overweight.

Desk job + getting older + eating poorly + no exercise = bad lifestyle idea

Desk job + getting older + eating properly + exercising regularly = good lifestyle idea
Completely agree. I was always around 170-180 until I hit 30 or so, and then I started traveling a lot, working even more, and generally always thinking "I don't have time to exercise, I work too much". I also definitely ate whatever the fuck I wanted, and as a result was almost 230lbs at this time last year.

I've really only exercised about 30-45 mins a day for the last few months (winter and all) and even with my busy as fuck work schedule it's really not that hard to find the time. I think a lot of people who get to where I was (not obese, but definitely in need of losing 20) do try to exercise, but don't exercise well enough.

Eg: If I'm going to the gym, or for a run, I generally do not look forward to it. But since I'm committed to it, I want to make sure I sweat my fucking ass off and get a good workout in - otherwise it's just a waste of 45 minutes that I could spend doing something else, ya know?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Man, I really need to get to the gym. There's a few around the office, too. My metabolism isn't going to last forever, and I'd really like to get in the habit of being healthy rather than getting winded after carrying a bunch of boxes up a few flights of stairs.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think part of it is that doing something "active", like taking a walk, is marketed so to speak as exercise these days. All around my work, there are signs encouraging people to take a 30 minute walk at lunch. There's even a marked path for it.

Which is all well and good, because taking a walk at lunch is a much better thing to do than stuffing your face and browsing Facebook. But if you need to lose some weight, and give a shit about losing weight, it's (IMO) really not going to do much for you. You gotta actually exercise.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man, I really need to get to the gym. There's a few around the office, too. My metabolism isn't going to last forever, and I'd really like to get in the habit of being healthy rather than getting winded after carrying a bunch of boxes up a few flights of stairs.
I definitely don't want to come across as the obnoxious newly-somewhat-fit guy. (I'm obnoxious enough as it is, as you all know. :lol:)

That said, I have pretty good cardio these days, and as a guy that for the past ~15 years had fucking terrible cardio (lazy, fat + cigarettes)... Having good cardio is fucking awesome. EVERYTHING gets easier. From little shit like going up a few lights of stairs, to active ho-hum stuff like mowing the lawn, working on your car, bringing in the groceries, etc, etc. It's not just that I can run a bit faster now or bike longer without getting tired. Every single thing I do is easier than it was a year ago.

Plus, the upside of working out a lot (wether it be SeanBabs style kiliin' it in the gym, or my old man addiction to cycling) - you can eat whatever the fuck you want. :lol: Towards the end of the fall I was doing about 2 hours a day of seriously hard cardio (heartrate around 160+ for the duration). If you go out and have a 1000-2000 calorie workout in the morning/afternoon, IMO you can feel free to crush a giant burrito with all of the trimmings at dinnertime without any guilt.

And THAT is a reward all in itself. :D

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm fat, and I exercise 2-5 hours a week.

My problem is I love food, glorious food.
In all seriousness, if you're doing that much and aren't losing weight, either you are destroying a dozen krispy kremes on the way to work, or you need to step up the exercise that you are doing.

When I get back from the gym, I have to peel my clothes off and instantly get them in the wash. It's why I don't like working out at lunchtime if I'm at work - I sweat my fuckin' ass off, and shower or no, you'll be the smelly guy if you change right back into your work clothes for the afternoon. :lol:

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
That said, I have pretty good cardio these days, and as a guy that for the past ~15 years had fucking terrible cardio (lazy, fat + cigarettes)... Having good cardio is fucking awesome.
I hate to say it, but there were guys at MMA class that smoked that would absolutely crush me, and run circles around me cardio-wise. Why? Because regardless of the fact that they smoked, they had always done some kind of workout/cardio that kept themselves elevated.

A lot comes down to will power and motivation, and I think to some degree individuals either have it or they don't. It's easy to make excuses to not do something, but just like you said, you know it's going to suck, but you push on and get through it.

I would have long, busy days, but would always find the time to get it in, just because it had just developed into a lifestyle choice ever since I was about 15. I still have long as shit days sometimes, and there are times I don't want to get up and go, but the overall benefits drastically outweigh the results that would ultimately occur by taking the easy way out.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would have long, busy days, but would always find the time to get it in, just because it had just developed into a lifestyle choice ever since I was about 15. I still have long as shit days sometimes, and there are times I don't want to get up and go, but the overall benefits drastically outweigh the results that would ultimately occur by taking the easy way out.
Yup. There are definitely days that I absolutely have to drag myself to the gym, or even to get out the bike trainer. But as soon as I'm done (and it's usually only about 45 minutes later) I'm always glad I did.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
In all seriousness, if you're doing that much and aren't losing weight, either you are destroying a dozen krispy kremes on the way to work, or you need to step up the exercise that you are doing.
I'm losing weight. It's just slow as hell.

My typical week is 3 days of 30 min on the elliptical and 30 minutes of weights. On good weeks I get in another 1 or 2 days of 30-60 minutes on the elliptical.

I'll eat well all week, and then destroy it on the weekends.

So I lose 4 lbs Mon-Fri, and gain 3 on Sat and Sun.

I just need to put the fork and bottle down, and I'd be fine.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm losing weight. It's just slow as hell.

My typical week is 3 days of 30 min on the elliptical and 30 minutes of weights. On good weeks I get in another 1 or 2 days of 30-60 minutes on the elliptical.

I'll eat well all week, and then destroy it on the weekends.

So I lose 4 lbs Mon-Fri, and gain 3 on Sat and Sun.

I just need to put the fork and bottle down, and I'd be fine.
What's your average HR on the elliptical? This is an average ~500ish calorie 30 minute treadmill workout for me.

If you elliptical harder, you can probably buy yourself an even more ostentatious fork!

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I'm in a rut right now. I'm in shape by some standards, I can pound out an hour of cardio no problem, can do 6 miles trail running/slope treadmill at the gym no problem. (6'1", 170ish last time I checked, 30-31" waist) But I've been doing the exact same exercise for so long, and eating the exact same amount of calories a day for so long (I'm pretty militant when it comes to these things), that I feel like my metabolism isn't exactly in high gear. The exact same muscle groups are being supplied with the exact same amount of calories and everything else has just sort of gone to shit. It would actually be healthier if I did periods of surplus/cuts, and threw in cross training. I'm definitely scrawny/flabby in places, though all of the actual BMI figures are fine. Going on 2 years of the exact same activities/amount of activity daily, same sort of diet, etc. results in just feeling fatigued all the time, mentally and physically. I felt a lot better when I was doing regular kayaking, which is really the only upper body activity I enjoy. I don't have the focus for anything that isn't a prolonged period of the same activity in which I can listen to metal.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
im 22 years old, 6'2 and 175lbs. i eat whatever the fuck i want and i am dreading the day that that really catches up with me :lol: although i exercise regularly as i am on a track scholarship right now so it is kinda required :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts