Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Jokes aside, we all know Machine Head suck, and this revamped original lineup thing has been tried a million times by bands to regain popularity after years of a waning career, but.... you can't ignore how good this is. In terms of performance and production, I mean. It truly is very well done, and for that I can't do anything but give them credit.

Also Kontos is fucking killing it. I love McClain, one of my favourite drummers ever, but Kontos is bringing the heavy groove so hard in this, it's sick :metal:

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
I saw the davidian one and thought the same but for the love of fuck cant Logan Madder tell Rob Flynn to stop painting his nails like a fucking 14 year old korn fan.

I never thought that was anything but cringe even when I was a 14 year old Korn fan....

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
I've always loved Kontos in this band, there's something about the way he hits a snare that sounds ridiculously heavy. I put him in the same camp as Gene Hoglan & Igor Cavalera, drummers that just have an X factor in their playing which you can't re-create.

Seen them tons since the 90's but never with him, earliest was Donington 95 in the transition between him and McClain, they had the guy from Madball standing in who didn't really cut it. Already have my tickets for Brixton.

I saw the davidian one and thought the same but for the love of fuck cant Logan Madder tell Rob Flynn to stop painting his nails like a fucking 14 year old korn fan. I never thought that was anything but cringe even when I was a 14 year old Korn fan....
Yep, hoping he isn't going to try and mould the re-union into the 'Robb and the Rhinestones' schtick he's been pulling for the last few years.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
:dgaf:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
That's awful. Sounds awful, played awful (out of time in some spots), and is a shite song. Like some 50-somethings got together in a garage after work. Who's the dude with the sweet $400 Indo Ibanez? We've got a used one at the shop I can sell him. :lol:

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
I'm 6 seconds in, and I've already seen the dirtiest dreads in my entire life, and a Mercyful Fate jersey that should have never existed, and :nope:'d the fuck out

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So because a dude's got a hairstyle you're not fond of you can't appreciate what he's doing? Guy's like one of the best metal producers working today :lol:

I don't hear anything particularly poorly executed either, tbh :shrug: It's a solid performance for being completely live and close-mic'd. Most bands (and I truly mean most) really can't play their own material that tightly. I think the performance here is great, which is why I posted it.

[...]the sweet $400 Indo Ibanez?[...]
You mean that vintage Japanese Yamaha BB? Thank fuck your guitar store isn't my local :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
So because a dude's got a hairstyle you're not fond of you can't appreciate what he's doing? Guy's like one of the best metal producers working today

I don't hear anything particularly poorly executed either, tbh
It's a solid performance for being completely live and close-mic'd. Most bands (and I truly mean most) really can't play their own material that tightly. I think the performance here is great, which is why I posted it.

[...]the sweet $400 Indo Ibanez?[...]
You mean that vintage Japanese Yamaha BB? Thank fuck your guitar store isn't my local
Haha yeah that dude with the sweet indo Ibanez has an hourly rate probably equal to most people's weekly wage...

Also has a list of production/engineering credits a mile long :lol:

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's awful. Sounds awful, played awful (out of time in some spots), and is a shite song. Like some 50-somethings got together in a garage after work. Who's the dude with the sweet $400 Indo Ibanez? We've got a used one at the shop I can sell him. :lol:
Realize who you're talking about now. I retract my smug burn. For some reason I thought you were talking about the bassist, I didn't even notice the Ibby :lol:

Pretty sure he's an endorsee though. Dunno, maybe he likes it :shrug:

·
Bowes Guitars
1,958 Posts
Mader's 5150 is probably the one he had on tour in 94/95 and recorded BME with. Love that fizz!!!

I really liked seeing the vid for Davidian, but Robb needs to pack this in after this Burn my Eyes reunion tour. I think it's going to be great to see most of the original lineup tear thru their best album but I can't see people rushing to pick up a new album with this lineup.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mader's 5150 is probably the one he had on tour in 94/95 and recorded BME with. Love that fizz!!!
I noticed Robb's playing through "Bubba", which is "the" Machine Head 5150. He's used it on every album, keeps it in his attic and refuses to tour with it, as he claims it's the best sounding 5150 he's ever owned.

I really liked seeing the vid for Davidian, but Robb needs to pack this in after this Burn my Eyes reunion tour. I think it's going to be great to see most of the original lineup tear thru their best album but I can't see people rushing to pick up a new album with this lineup.
Was that the plan? huh... That could go either way really. Tbh BME sounds quite dated now, and they run the risk of trying to go for that style again for the nostalgia kick, but becoming a tribute act of their former selves, which, as this video demonstrates, they kind of already have just by doing this tour.

·
Bowes Guitars
1,958 Posts
I noticed Robb's playing through "Bubba", which is "the" Machine Head 5150. He's used it on every album, keeps it in his attic and refuses to tour with it, as he claims it's the best sounding 5150 he's ever owned

Was that the plan? huh... That could go either way really. Tbh BME sounds quite dated now, and they run the risk of trying to go for that style again for the nostalgia kick, but becoming a tribute act of their former selves, which, as this video demonstrates, they kind of already have just by doing this tour.
No idea what their plan is, but you're totally right - they sound super dated. Screaming "let freedom ring with a shotgun blast" is super cringy! This really has to be the last round for them as you're absolutely right in that they're basically a tribute band of themselves now.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
No idea what their plan is, but you're totally right - they sound super dated. Screaming "let freedom ring with a shotgun blast" is super cringy! This really has to be the last round for them as you're absolutely right in that they're basically a tribute band of themselves now.
Especially after Flynn went on that rant after Parkland about never playing that song again. To be fair, he said he wasn't sure if he was going to commit to that or not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts