Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Had a bit of free time, decided to tackle a Veil of Maya song; ouch.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
the jump from 0-8-12 to 17-12-8 I would never do. Why not just skip a string and play it on the D string? It'd be a lot easier and probably sound better. I've never been a huge fan of high notes on bass strings in rhythm guitar parts. Leads on the neck bucker, sure, but rhythm guitar? Pass. It can be played clearer and easier than this tab shows I think.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the jump from 0-8-12 to 17-12-8 I would never do. Why not just skip a string and play it on the D string? It'd be a lot easier and probably sound better. I've never been a huge fan of high notes on bass strings in rhythm guitar parts. Leads on the neck bucker, sure, but rhythm guitar? Pass. It can be played clearer and easier than this tab shows I think.
Those large skips are supposed to be tapped

Here is a video of a dude playing it, im determined to learn it now :scream:

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
I think those parts are actually meant to be tapped, even if it's not shown in the actual notation...

EDIT: Ah, Samer beat me to it!

In general, I'm with you though. I've seen quite a few tabs for complex parts of songs where I look at them and am fairly sure there's a more efficient way of doing it. A friend sent me a tab of a Gary Moore lick he was struggling with a couple of weeks ago, and the fingering it was written out with was just totally nonsensical...

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Watching the video, up until the sweep it all seems pretty simple? :scratch: You've got enough time to make sure everything is clean, at that tempo. If that makes sense?

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Yeah, that doesn't look THAT bad - a couple position shifts and some tapping, but... :shrug:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I've never been a huge fan of high notes on bass strings in rhythm guitar parts.
So, you hate everything Tony Iommi has ever done? :lol:

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Yeah that looks pretty difficult, even tapped :lol:

You got that dude! Just work on small sections and you will be fine just fine :yesway:

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah that looks pretty difficult, even tapped :lol:

You got that dude! Just work on small sections and you will be fine just fine :yesway:
It not so much the notes but the timing that makes it difficult (after i learned the notes that is); i think i got half way through the song last night though!

Ill post a video once i get it 100%

1 - 10 of 10 Posts