Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The NFL exclusive contract with EA Sports gives us the most unrealistic physics in games right now. If EA had to actually compete with 2K sports or other companies in this arena, we'd see better games. 2k put out the best gameplay engine to date with APF2K8, but the game is shallow and outside the gameplay really wasn't up to par. Backbreaker was simply unfinished. Neither had the NFL license and failed.

The 2K NBA game is incredible, as is MLB the Show on the PS3. Yet the most popular sport in the US gets this nonsense.

Oh and that bit at the end... Ndomukong Suh is a beast.

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
The sports science video at the end looks partially staged. Notice that the 160lb guy puts his arms up high when the play starts. Any wrestler will tell you that when your opponent is bigger than you you need to get low.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sports science video at the end looks partially staged. Notice that the 160lb guy puts his arms up high when the play starts. Any wrestler will tell you that when your opponent is bigger than you you need to get low.
Judging by his demeanor and appearance, I don't think he's a trained lineman by any stretch. I played a little bit of hs football, and there were plenty of guys I played with that didn't realize the low man wins the leverage game even after months of practice and training.

Either way, do you think he would really have stood any chance against Suh? Anything like the center in the video game that actually throws Suh to the ground :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Completely irrelevant, really, since you don't make it to the NFL, as a starter no less, without mastering the basic fundamentals of blocking. That 160lb guy could have blocked low, and Suh, rather than tossing him through the air, would have steamrolled over the top of him.

Vince is right, since there is simply no excuse for that level of inaccuracy. There is a reason that centers are huge.

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Completely irrelevant, really, since you don't make it to the NFL, as a starter no less, without mastering the basic fundamentals of blocking. That 160lb guy could have blocked low, and Suh, rather than tossing him through the air, would have steamrolled over the top of him.
You're misunderstanding me. There's no question Suh wins that competition, no matter how the 160lb guy plays it. However, if the little guy stayed low he wouldn't have been thrown 3 meters (or whatever the distance was). And it's him flying through the air that I think is entertainment value.

I agree with Vince that there's a severe lack of realism in the game.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's no question Suh wins that competition, no matter how the 160lb guy plays it. However, if the little guy stayed low he wouldn't have been thrown 3 meters (or whatever the distance was).
He would've been crushed. Suh isn't just bigger weight wise, he's an incredibly densely muscled human being. He's a freak athlete who dominates in a league of freaks...as a rookie.

So we're all in agreement then. Madden 11's an arcade game lacking proper physics other games had 6 years ago (NFL2k5).

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Madden 11's an arcade game
That's all that needed to be said about the whole franchise really. They sacrificed realism for the sake of gameplay. Not to mention they stuffed the pockets of the NFL in order to obtain an exclusive license. :noway:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/5.1.22460/23.377; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

I dunno, in most game contexts gameplay > realism.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/5.1.22460/23.377; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

I dunno, in most game contexts gameplay > realism.
Not necessarily. Realism and gameplay can co-exist. Madden 11's gameplay is not as good as NFL 2k5 or APF2k8. Madden provides better graphics, better presentation (arguably), more online opponents, bigger community, and of course the NFL license with modern stadiums and rosters.

APF2k8 had the best gameplay and realism in a football video game ever. No one into this stuff argues this point from my experience. But the game is too shallow and the graphics are caught in the uncanny valley too much for most gamers, and understandably the game failed commercially. There is a fan movement for a large patch to be made to the game to make changes, but it's highly doubtful (100% doubtful) it will ever happen.

Without EA relinquishing the NFL exclusive license and getting competition in the market, we're stuck with this stuff.

Look at NBA 2K11 or MLB 10 The Show. Simply awesome realistic games that are super fun to play.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I don't play Madden, but a friend of mine who does told me that the original purpose of Madden was to build a football simulator that could be used for training purposes. Perhaps that purpose has changed over time, but how do you get the physicss that ....wrong, is beyond me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts