crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First pictures of Chris Hemsworth as Thor:

and with Anthony Hopkins as Odin.

and here with Tom Hiddleston as Loki:

Mjölnir:

Asgard:

I must admit...i dont have very high hopes for it, i love the Thor comics, but Hollywood knows how to ruin such stuff...

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks cheesy as fuck... in a bad way. I don't expect this movie to be good at all.
Pretty much my thoughts too...

But you know, i'm kinda traumatized already - my favourite comics were Batman, Thor, Spawn and Ghostrider....and Batman aside - we know how the others went out. :ugh:

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Pretty much my thoughts too...

But you know, i'm kinda traumatized already - my favourite comics were Batman, Thor, Spawn and Ghostrider....and Batman aside - we know how the others went out. :ugh:
Yeah. :( Batman obviously has been pretty awesome. I've liked every Batman movie except for the original 1960s one and the two horrific ones, "Batman and Robin" and "Batman Forever."

But Spawn was possibly the worst comic-book based movie ever made and Ghostrider was pretty poorly done. And now Thor is looking to turn out pretty craptastically as well.

There have been some pretty well done comic book movies (the Spiderman movies, Batman movies, Watchmen, etc.), but then there are ones that you just DON'T do as live action movies. Such as The Hulk. Cool as a comic book. Horrible as a live action movie.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah. :( Batman obviously has been pretty awesome. I've liked every Batman movie except for the original 1960s one and the two horrific ones, "Batman and Robin" and "Batman Forever."
FINALLY someone who shares the same thoughts....i hate the 60s Batman, but even more the "Hype" around it, as everyone glorifies Adam West as the only "real" Batman.

For the newer movies - the ones with Michael Keaton and Christian Bale are superb, The Dark Knight especcially, tough horribly overhyped due to Heath Ledgers death etc, really impressed me. I'm biased tough, as The Joker always was my favourite villain. I also screamed in advance that no one will ever come close to the appearance of Jack Nicholson as the Joker, well...here i stand corrected. :D

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Look, I'm not going to lie... it looks pretty cool. They should have kept a few more original details like the wings on his helmet (even more so than on Captain's uniform IMO). Prediction: Anthony Hopkins steals the show despite only being on screen for a total of like 7 minutes.

I'm just going to keep my hopes low so that if it's at least palatable, I'll enjoy it :)

EDIT: Also, Naren, I think you're mostly right about the "some comics don't work as movies" thing, but I think it's not an inherent problem. I think you could make a Hulk movie (or Ghost Rider, or Daredevil, or Thor...), but you have to truly capture the drama surrounding the character for it to work.

The reason we love these guys is because despite their superpowers, they have genuine human problems that can't be laser-beamed away, and we identify with them. I think a Superman, Spider-Man, or Batman movie is a guaranteed home run in that regard if the movie execs aren't literally sleeping during filming, because it makes a huge component of their storyline and is more integral to their character. These other guys have their problems but I think they're a little more subtle and hard to snag in the movie format.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Yeah, that looks really cheesy.

My problem with having Thor in the same world as Iron Man is that Iron Man really "works" with a specific feel.

Including proof of living Norse gods and magic in that same universe requires a whole new suspension of disbelief, I think, and really takes away from the "feel" of the Iron Man movies.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
EDIT: Also, Naren, I think you're mostly right about the "some comics don't work as movies" thing, but I think it's not an inherent problem. I think you could make a Hulk movie (or Ghost Rider, or Daredevil, or Thor...), but you have to truly capture the drama surrounding the character for it to work.

The reason we love these guys is because despite their superpowers, they have genuine human problems that can't be laser-beamed away, and we identify with them. I think a Superman, Spider-Man, or Batman movie is a guaranteed home run in that regard if the movie execs aren't literally sleeping during filming, because it makes a huge component of their storyline and is more integral to their character. These other guys have their problems but I think they're a little more subtle and hard to snag in the movie format.
I think you could make a good Ghost Rider or Daredevil movie, but I really can't see how you could make a good live action Hulk or Thor movie.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Including proof of living Norse gods and magic in that same universe requires a whole new suspension of disbelief, I think, and really takes away from the "feel" of the Iron Man movies.
But they have shared space in the comics before. The thing is, the Marvel universe does include magic. So... if they want to make an Avengers movie, they have to allow that. The world has to be introduced to magic as a component of reality. Switching to DC, what about Superman? He might as well be God on Earth. His powers are magic as far as we're concerned. Juxtapose him with Batman? It works.

I think you could make a good Ghost Rider or Daredevil movie, but I really can't see how you could make a good live action Hulk or Thor movie.
:shrug: I think it's harder, but it could be done better than it has been, let's put it that way. :noplease:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
But they have shared space in the comics before. The thing is, the Marvel universe does include magic. So... if they want to make an Avengers movie, they have to allow that. The world has to be introduced to magic as a component of reality. Switching to DC, what about Superman? He might as well be God on Earth. His powers are magic as far as we're concerned. Juxtapose him with Batman? It works.
In a cartoon, maybe.

In the current live-action movies? No fucking way.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I thought Iron Man looked weak and I was totally wrong there. So I'll wait for the movie to come out before I give it the thumbs up or down. Kenneth Branagh is directing and wants to be very Shakespearean in tone which actually works for Thor. Iron Man succeeded not because it the action or the special effects were so awesome but because Robert Downey Jr owned the screen. If they can make Thor into an interesting character driven movie it might kick all kinds of ass. Of course I demand Thor screams "Have at thee!" before he beats someone's ass with Mjolnir at least once in the movie.

An Avengers movie could kick insane amounts of ass if they give them a big enough and bad enough villain to fight. Something like Ultron blowing an entire nation off of the face of the Earth just for shits and giggles would be a fine example.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts

I heard they bought this set on the cheap from the producers of Flash Gordon.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Yeah, that looks really cheesy.

My problem with having Thor in the same world as Iron Man is that Iron Man really "works" with a specific feel.

This argument is pure horse shit. (Sadly, I understand the point you make.)

But fuck your feelings, and mine too. They exist together in the comic universe, and that's all that counts, ya little fuckwit poser!

Now, that outta mys system, this movie looks like it sucks. :( And Thor is, and has been for years, my single favorite superhero. SIGH. (WTF is up with Loki? Why oh why oh why does Shittywood have to fuck with everything? Oh, it was great enough to be a classic for God knows how many years... but we think we should tweak this. And this. And this and this andthisandthisandthis... :mad:)

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
From these shots, I'm not too pumped :(

I think Johann Hegg would be a good fit for Thor, personally.. and you KNOW they won't put any Amon Amarth in the soundtrack :(

1 - 20 of 63 Posts