Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How the fuck do I add my damn content to this thing? :lol:

I have a folder called Movies. In that folder are subfolders with assorted media types in it. Some of them are Movies, some are TV Shows, and some are Music DVDs.

I can't figure out how to get Plex to categorize them correctly. I go into "watch your movies", and it says:

But if I go into Videos, I can at least add a source.

However, Movies is in there 3 times :scratch: and I only have one Movie folder, and anything else that I add (eg a path to a movie) always ends up in Videos.

How do I get my movies in Movies? And do I need to manually add each subfolder that the movie file is in every time I add something, or can this monitor a directly and figure it out for itself? I have something like 400 movies ripped, there's no way I'm adding 400 paths. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright, I got it to find movies and start naming them. This thing is pretty slick, albeit a pain in the dick to configure. :lol:

It's not happy with TV shows though, it hates Metalocalypse. :(

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Reactions: Vince

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since nobody answered me the last time and I figured it out, I'll ask another one! :lol:

I've got the DVD set of 24, and I'm trying to import the seasons into Plex. I made an ISO of each DVD, and if I bring them up with VLC they play just fine and I get a chapter list when I open them up. They're 4 episodes per DVD.

My file layout is:
-TV Shows
---Season 1
---24 S01E01E02E03E04.iso (This is Season 1, DVD 1, which contains Episodes 1-4)

VLC likes it, but Plex gives me an "error opening file" message, even though it populates the menus correctly.

What am I missing?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Why are you ripping to iso?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Also, that format is convoluted and redundant. I like the naming convention, but at that point you don't need it in tv/24/season1/. Have you tried moving them into just tv/?

Also, vlc plays from iso, but are younsure that plex does? As ar as I can tell, plex relies on OSXs native DVD player for DVD playback, which requires an iso to be mounted

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Why are you ripping to iso?
Let's just say that sometimes ISO is the only format available. :lol:

Think, dumbass. :fawk:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Also, that format is convoluted and redundant. I like the naming convention, but at that point you don't need it in tv/24/season1/. Have you tried moving them into just tv/?

Also, vlc plays from iso, but are younsure that plex does? As ar as I can tell, plex relies on OSXs native DVD player for DVD playback, which requires an iso to be mounted
Yes, Plex does play from ISO. I figured it out though - MakeMKV will take an ISO and split it out into episodes.

I like my naming convention because I like my files neat. I set my root TV Shows directory to recursively search and that's it - I don't have to add the new paths every time.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was going to suggest mounting the ISO and using Handbrake as if it were a DVD :lol: Your way's probably better :D
MakeMKV is pretty ace, it does exactly what I was looking for. :yesway:

I'll add all this shit, along with the answer to my original question in my little howto once I have it all squared away.

As far as my file setup, I do my MP3's the same way. If you organize it all as you go, down the road it's easier to keep it neat when you add things. Otherwise you end up with a giant messy folder of unfindable shit, like Drew's computer was when I transferred his stuff to the one I sold him. :lol:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Let's just say that sometimes ISO is the only format available. :lol:

Think, dumbass. :fawk:
I meant as opposed to just ripping with handbrake :lol:

Fall in a ditch, SeaBass. :fawk:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I meant as opposed to just ripping with handbrake :lol:

Fall in a ditch, SeaBass. :fawk:
I know what you mean, and you are still a dumbass if you don't know why I occasionally only have an ISO file to start out with. :fawk:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
:bump:

Chris. Give me all of your knowledge of getting good results from the IMDB search. I'm getting some wonky results.

The Mac Mini will likely be purchased this weekend :D

·
Oxygen to CO2 converter
1,957 Posts
For TV shows I have had the best luck with naming them a certain way

For example, my LOST episodes are named:

Lost - S01E20 - Blah.avi
Lost - S01E21 - blah.avi
Lost - S01E22 - blah.avi

As long as I follow that naming convention, all in the same "TV Shows" folder, it seems to work OK. I have tried my own, and a few others and my results are hit or miss. Plus I have it configured to only pull episode information from IMDB I believe. I would need to double check but you can set it to different sources.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
You don't use a folder structure for shows and seasons? LIke

TVShows
>The Big Bang Theory
>Season 1
>The Big Bang Theory - 1x01 - blah
I just switched to using this naming scheme....

The Big Bang Theory - 1x01 - blah

I hope that will improve things. I also wonder how to properly name movies.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
I just tested my naming scheme. It works perfectly, and here's a nice tip....

For your movies, create a .nfo file with a link to the IMDB entry!

For example, for Alien create a file called Alien.nfo and just paste this link into it.

Alien (1979)

It will pull the perfect IMDB entry!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts