Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I didn't want to full on pursue the ibanez 1527 till some sales of other items came through.

Now I have the money but the two 1527 just sold :(

Looking in my area I see the two mentioned Jacksons.

I might consider them if they are significantly cheaper than the 1527 which probably is selling for 600 to 700 Canadian..... Take off about 20% for rough usd estimate

The cow I am a bit hesitant as it only has one pick up do you guys think that is a big deal?

I see a few slats which go for 750 to 850 new so is it reasonable to try for under 400 Canadian? At that price I might consider one.... No trem is not a big deal but wouldn't mind a tremolo.

Ok with trying out active pups as I have no experience with them

Or should I just hold off?

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
They're all really solid guitars. Do you ever use a neck pickup on your other guitars? I'd say a good 7620 is on par with a 1527. You just gotta figure out whether you want a slightly thicker neck and mahogany (Jackson), or a really thin neck and basswood (Ibanez)

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
I've owned both the RG7620 and the COW7. The RG is just a beautifully functioning workhorse. Great trem, great neck, balanced tone (not aggressive, smooth mids) and cheap to find.

The COW has the most brutal tone of any guitar I've played. It's got crazy amounts of grunt and punch, just leaps out at you, even acoustically. But it's very very limited in its functionality and playability. Ridiculous block heel (and I'm someone who's come to quite like big block heels a la fender/charvel, but this is on another level of huge) and a thicker, rounder overall feel. If you were just pummelling away in drop A in a deathcore band i couldnt think of a better instrument, but for any sort of finesse and musicality I'd never pick it over the RG.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
I've owned both the RG7620 and the COW7. The RG is just a beautifully functioning workhorse. Great trem, great neck, balanced tone (not aggressive, smooth mids) and cheap to find.

The COW has the most brutal tone of any guitar I've played. It's got crazy amounts of grunt and punch, just leaps out at you, even acoustically. But it's very very limited in its functionality and playability. Ridiculous block heel (and I'm someone who's come to quite like big block heels a la fender/charvel, but this is on another level of huge) and a thicker, rounder overall feel. If you were just pummelling away in drop A in a deathcore band i couldnt think of a better instrument, but for any sort of finesse and musicality I'd never pick it over the RG.
:agreed: couldn't say it any better than that.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for weighing in.

I think based on your comments and my initial feelings the COW while cool is not ideal to function as my only 7 string. If I had one already then I would more seriously consider it. Person was asking 600 CDN with BKP AFtermath or 500 with stock EMG. Decent price but like I said the limits of the guitar have me looking elsewhere.

As for the SLATTX's one black and one tobacco are listed as well they go for 750 and 840 + 13% tax new. Both wouldn't go lower than 600.

I'm still leaning towards Ibanez 1527 or 7620 but if a soloist came down to high 400s low 500s I miiiight consider it. It's one of those cases where psychologically (right or wrong) my mind was set on an Ibanez based on having one that I really enjoy and having heard nothing but good things about it's 7 string counter part. From the sounds of it the SLATTX is a nice guitar in it's own right.

·
Hasta la vista, Baby
383 Posts
If you can stretch your budget try to hunt an old SLAT3-7. They are japanese made and blow all guitars mentioned out of the water. They range from 600-800$ used and pop on eBay from time to time. :cool:

This one sold recently:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-sla...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

If you don't have any real preference between Ibanez or Jackson (they are completely different instruments in all departments). The Ibanez 1527/7620 is higher quality than those Jacksons. Just make sure the frets are OK on those, since they are +10 years old.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
id say 1527. As much as i sometimes struggle to write music on a 7 string my 1527 is such a solid guitar. Plays so nicely and really holds up against the other much more expensive guitars I own. That said i know people with the exact same model that doesnt play as well or sound as good so maybe i got lucky!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well I made a deal to buy a new in box Jackson SLATTXMGQ3-7 with the Tobacco Burst for $550 Canadian....... new it goes for $950.

The way I figure it I get a chance to try out a bunch of firsts..... 7 strings, active pups, mahogany body, Jackson neck.

Plus I think it might be a while till the next crop of 1527's shows up used.

Worst thing that happens is I figure I can sell it if I don't like it a get back most of my money.

I will post some pics if the deal takes place!

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Honestly, if you want a more versatile COW, go grab an old DR-7. Mike picked one up recently, and I was shocked at how good it is. I seemed to have a negative memory of them for no reason whatsoever.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
They might have been hit-or-miss, Dave - a DR7 was the first seven string I ever played, and it was so awful that it soured me on the whole concept, to the point where I almost didn't even bother to pick a 7620 off the rack a couple months later to try it - a guitar I was so impressed with that I was back that afternoon to pick it up.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Think I saw a DR7 either on ebay or local classifieds can't remember.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/jackson-7-s...e-/291333667063?pt=Guitar&hash=item43d4d6f8f7

But the person just called it a Jackson 7 string and gave no model information. But based on pics it looks like a DR7 to me. But I am not very well versed on Jacksons so please don't call me to the witness stand.

The more I am accepting that I missed the Ibanez boat (which will come around again) the more pumped I am about seeing this Jackson Soloist 7.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Change of plans I am buying a 1999 Ibanez 7620 for $500 Canadian so roughly $400 for you Americans! It comes with D Activators as the pick ups. Black body. Plus hard case. Going to see it on Sunday. Hopefully it is in good condition.

Totally didn't expect this.... I sent the seller an email and never heard back so assumed it was sold.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Drew said:
They might have been hit-or-miss, Dave - a DR7 was the first seven string I ever played, and it was so awful that it soured me on the whole concept, to the point where I almost didn't even bother to pick a 7620 off the rack a couple months later to try it - a guitar I was so impressed with that I was back that afternoon to pick it up.
It's the pickups, which are hilariously bad. I think those were fairly early model Duncan Designed, since they sounded even worse than ones in the early Schecter 007 and C7.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts