Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,
I have just started to move my tone from my amp and have started to invest in pedals, ultimately generating most of sound from a lovely pedal board. Its early days and I have currently:
Boss ML2 Metalcore
Boss NS2 Noise Suppresor
And a standard cry baby

When testing out the ml2 (today when I got it) I played on a tiny terror and it sounded absolutely killer and was so excited to get back and try it through my line 6 spider 3 hd150 stack. The results weren't as pleasing, the pedal makes the amp sound 100x better than the tone i had before, but it isnt as crisp as the orange head was. Now I am looking to ditch my old line 6 for a REAL amp and was wondering what amps would be good for this?

The tiny terror was a tube (I think) so I will be looking towards that side of the market, I saw the peavey VK100 and was wondering if that would be any good?

The sound im going for is sort of killswitch engage, viatropy, so a menacing metalcore tone!

Any advice is much appreciated!

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

For breakdowncore I would suggest a 6505/5150

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Have you ever played a TT?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
$450 is pretty good. how is the condition?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had looked into the 5150 side of the market but I have heard some mixed reviews about all of these amps. From what I heard the pedal I have will provide more than enough tone to keep me happy so I was thinking a nice tube amp that would be good for use with pedals to achieve a metal sound. And The tiny terror is a nice amp but really expensive for what it is, Opionions on the valveking vk100 ?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
When you were running into your Line6, what amp model was it set to? That could help you to tweak the sound a bit more to your liking, but in my experience, modelers generally don't respond as well to outboard boosts and distortions in front of them.

A used 5150 or 5150II (6505/6505+) is pretty much the standard and a great value for metal... i'd explore that route before going with a VK100.

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Who the hell had mixed reviews of the 5150 series? If you don't like those amps, you don't like tone.

They're like the SM57/58 of rock/metal guitar amps: they sound great, and are practically indestructible, which is why basically everyone uses them.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
While the VK100 WILL do metal, it won't do it anywhere near as good as a 5150/6505. I just had one on loan from a friend of mine for a week or so, and I'm going to buy one. No doubts about it. I'll be retiring the Blackstar from metal indefinitely, I know that much. They pop up on ebay all the time for about £500 - £550, I'd keep an eye out for one.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
To me, it would seem better to start off with the amp that will get you some great tone, rather than relying on a pedal to do it.

My understanding is that the Valve King amps are more low-gain classic rock type things. The ones I've played in the store all seemed like that. You could boost them with a gain pedal, but it's not going to be the same as the tone you'd get from a 5150.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
From a guy who has played both a 5150 and a ValveKing100, the 5150 SLAYS the ValveKing.

Fucking SLAYS.

:hungus:

:lol:

Seriously though.

1. Sell the distortion pedals.
2. Get a 5150.
3. ?????
4. Forge metal.

????? = get an overdrive pedal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok I will get saving up for a 5150 then :D
I probably won't sell my pedal until I can get my hands on a 5150 and see what damage that thing can do! However I am pretty sure Im keeping my pedal, that thing is awesome! Its made my guitar sound so menacing! >=]

1 - 20 of 72 Posts