Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·

745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sold my C7 so it's new guitar time. I've got a few models on my eye but I need some advice. Here are the guitars that I'm thinking about:

1. Ibanez RGIR27E - I like the looks of it a lot, but I'm not very fond of EMGs as I like to roll of the gain and just solo around on crunch so I'm worried about their performance in that matter. After playing the RG 927 I found the neck to be thicker than expected (thicker and more square than the prestige counterpart), so I'm a bit unsure of this one. Available in a shop nearby, will visit on Wednesday to test.

2. Jackson SLATTXMG3-7 - I've played the floyded version and it was super comfortable, but once again - it has EMG 707s which I'm not particularly fond of... The nearby shop has the TOM silverburst version which I'm going to test soon, but I'd rather have a floyded guitar...

3. Jackson Broderick Soloist Pro 7 - I love the looks of it, seems to have all the features that I'd like to have (Dimarzio pickups, floyd rose bridge, coil splitting, etc.). Unfortunately, no shops in my area have it in stock and I'm a bit worried about the 12" radius - so far I've only played guitars that have 14-17" radius and I really love the neck of my RG550... Will this radius prove problematic for bends/anything else (like low action)? If not, I'll probably order one in Snow White :)

Any other suggestions in that price range? Used market is not an option, as apart from very overpriced RG7620s (about 900$ used), cool 7 strings rarely pop up here... I'd also like to avoid baseball bat necks like the C7 had as I have small hands and prefer ruler-thin (but still round, like the 2002 super wizard) necks.

Thanks!
David

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I'd go for the S7 version of that Ibanez, which comes with Dimarzio PAF's instead of EMG's. No experience with the others though.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Keep in mind that both Bare Knuckle and Seymour Duncan can do passive pickups in the rectangular EMG "soapbar" housing.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Really, the feel is the bigger question: do you get along better with Jackson or Ibanez necks. Modern Ibanez necks have hard sholders that cramp my hands up, so I can't play them.

EMGs aren't all that tough to replace these days, considering that several manufactures make EMG route passives. You can also buy the plastic covers and mount a pickup to the inside of them.

·

745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the answers - I'm going to the store tomorrow to play what they have in stock. If I decide on any other guitar than the Broderick, I'll probably add a cheap six string (maybe a tele) to the shopping cart. I'll let you know how it goes!

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
The nitro neck on the RGIR is actually pretty nice, but heed Dave's advice, there's some serious shoulders on newer models - the S series expecially.

I liked my RGIR27E a LOT.. too bad about the weather warped neck (not Ibanez's fault).

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
i know you just sold a c-7, but these are such awesome guitars haha. Definitely would be worth checking in to if you have not already :yesway:

·

745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The sls models are quite above my price range (around 1300-1400$ in here) and no stores have them in stock. After having the blackjack, I wouldn't buy another schecter without a long play through of the neck (which was my biggest issue with the c7 I had).

·

745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Back from the store. I bought the Jackson SLATTXMG3-7 as it had an amazing neck and was the most comfortable seven string I've played lately. EMGs were not as bad as I thought. Ibanez 7s had too square shaped necks for me...

As a bonus, they had a used Ibanez RX (I think) in there which I really liked so I came back home with two guitars instead of one :)

I'll post an NGD thread later today!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts