Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also this:

YT Comments said:
I have just put replacement LEDs in my one and they work fine. If you want the specs. of LEDS I used and the information, you'll find it below. I spent a while trying to figure out the voltages of the stock LEDs, I even messaged the manufacturer but got no reply (so far). In the end I took the plunge thinking at worst I'd blow the lower voltage ones if they weren't right but in the end both of the voltages work. Here are the details if you are interested:

The size you need is 2x3x4mm LEDS. I bought 2 different colours of the following voltages @20mA:
Green (coloured plastic) - min 3.4v/typ 3.8v ---------------------- These ran less bright than the stocks, they may be under powered but work fine.
Red (clear plastic) - min 2.1v/typ 2.4v --------------------------- These ran, to my eyes, at the same brightness as the stocks, I think they are the same voltage, but I'm only guessing.

I am in the UK and used an ebay seller by the name of ms_graphics, I got 25 of each for £1.85 and no I am not on commission =P. I just searched ebay for 2x3x4mm LEDs.

First I tried 5 of the green ones in one of the 3 circuits while keeping the blues in, I was expecting them to be the same brightness or even more if I'd underestimated the voltage of the stock ones, however they were actually about half as bright as the blue ones, a really nice manageable green light. After this I came to the conclusion that the stock ones must be lower voltage, so I tried the red LEDS. The reds are almost exactly as bright as the blue stocks but less jarring than the blues.

For my taste the green coloured were my choice and I've stuck with those, not just because they aren't too bright but also because I'm not working on exact science here and I'd sooner under power an LED than overpower it and risk overheating, though I don't believe the reds are out of their operating range.

I came to this video looking for help on making the brightness manageable without blacking out the LEDS or sticking tape over them, thanks very much to the original poster of this video, I would never have attempted if I hadn't seen this.

I am not an electrician, nor even remotely educated on LEDS and the correct resistors/voltage, but I did what research I could to make sure I wouldn't damage the pedal, mine is currently working fine and I am happy with the green LEDS in there with regards to safety.

I simply wanted to share my experience to help others who might be considering this, I'm probably voiding any MXR warranty by doing so, but if you follow this you do so at your own risk, just as I did.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Good tip. :yesway: Blue leds look cool for a while, but in a dark room they're often way too intense.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
I'm sure you could just open it up and change the resistor value to drop the voltage going to the LED's. I'd rather do that than fuck about changing all those out :lol:

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
I own 2 MXR Ten bands that are black and not bright at all. I guess this is the newer one?
I have the 6 band version of those and I don't like the fact that it doesn't have an overall gain fader. It means you can't adjust for volume changes brought on by reducing certain frequencies, which is dumb.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the 6 band version of those and I don't like the fact that it doesn't have an overall gain fader. It means you can't adjust for volume changes brought on by reducing certain frequencies, which is dumb.
Clearly you should have bought the 10-band, plebe. :crooks:

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
I'm sure you could just open it up and change the resistor value to drop the voltage going to the LED's. I'd rather do that than fuck about changing all those out :lol:
How do you do that?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ordered some amber LEDs on eBay, it was 6 bucks for 100 of them. If anyone wants some I can drop a bunch in the mail for you (assuming they work).

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How do you do that?
You'd have to figure out where the resistor is on the PCB then just desolder / resolder. It's a short job if you know which resistor it is - if there even is one. Since these things are as bright as the goddamn sun I don't think there is. So you'd need to determine the path on the PCB for the LED power and then add in a resistor somewhere along the line where it fits.

I don't want to sound pedantic or argumentative with Matt, but it's significantly more time consuming and involved than just pulling out 10 little LEDs and sticking in a different color or flipping the things around. :wub:

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
How do you do that?
Well it depends on the circuit and how they've powered the LED's. But if they have a resistor in series then simply increase it's value to something slightly higher. I'll see if I can find a schematic or something.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
You'd have to figure out where the resistor is on the PCB then just desolder / resolder. It's a short job if you know which resistor it is - if there even is one. Since these things are as bright as the goddamn sun I don't think there is. So you'd need to determine the path on the PCB for the LED power and then add in a resistor somewhere along the line where it fits.

I don't want to sound pedantic or argumentative with Matt, but it's significantly more time consuming and involved than just pulling out 10 little LEDs and sticking in a different color or flipping the things around. :wub:
True but if i understood the video correctly all that does is interrupt the current path, so you get zero illumination from them. I'd personally like SOME light, so I know the damn thing's on :lol:

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
I ordered some amber LEDs on eBay, it was 6 bucks for 100 of them. If anyone wants some I can drop a bunch in the mail for you (assuming they work).
I may take you up on that.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
If it where an issue its nothing a dab of black sharpy marker cant cure. You crazy kids and your damn diods and margaflarbin.....

:bronson:

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
If it where an issue its nothing a dab of black sharpy marker cant cure. You crazy kids and your damn diods and margaflarbin.....

:bronson:
You act like us finding ways to justify the "need" to spend money is a foreign and unacceptable concept around here...

Sharpie? Pfft...

:chuckle:

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
You act like us finding ways to justify the "need" to spend money is a foreign and unacceptable concept around here...

Sharpie? Pfft...

:chuckle:
True.... sharpie is not the purest distilation.... Oddly enough I am steeped in circuit board manufacturing and have done work for most of the top electronics labs in the country and could open mine and come up with ways to "cure" this "issue" but I came up with sharpie.... go figure.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
True.... sharpie is not the purest distilation.... Oddly enough I am steeped in circuit board manufacturing and have done work for most of the top electronics labs in the country and could open mine and come up with ways to "cure" this "issue" but I came up with sharpie.... go figure.
Metalhead engineering at it's finest. At least you didn't say tiny squares of duct tape. :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts