Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a track I'm working on that has some synth parts that sit over the rhythm, Type-O style. They sound awesome until my lead lines come in, and then they end up occupying the same 'space', so to speak, in the track. Or basically, they step all over each other.

What's the general rule of thumb here? I've tried bookending them and shuffling EQ ranges around, but it seems like they only sound good if they're right on top of my guitar tracks. :scratch:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Is it a lead-y kind of synth or some thick synth chords? I don't know anything about mixing, but I'm assuming that makes a difference.

If they are chords maybe you could slap a compressor on the notes that are occupying the same frequencies as other mix elements.

(^I don't actually know what that means, but I thought the phrase "slap a compressor on it" sounded impressive)

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Is it a lead-y kind of synth or some thick synth chords? I don't know anything about mixing, but I'm assuming that makes a difference.

If they are chords maybe you could slap a compressor on the notes that are occupying the same frequencies as other mix elements.

(^I don't actually know what that means, but I thought the phrase "slap a compressor on it" sounded impressive)
:lol:

You may actually be right on the money. Some of the Absynth sounds that I use have a ridiculous dynamic range, and I often need to apply a compressor with a reduction of 10dB or more to tame them and make them sit well in the mix. In addition to that, presuming you want the guitars to be up front, an EQ cut on the midrange of the the synths may help.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a quick clip.

The solo is bullshit, and the choral bit needs some tidying up. I have that progression looped about a bajillion times right now, and I'm just wailing away over it coming up with something to play over it. That isn't really my lead tone either (I haven't quite gotten to that with the Axe yet :lol:) but it's a basic idea.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Damn, Chris, you're putting out some fine clips lately. It doesn't sound like the choir and guitars are stepping on each other to me, at all. I can hear both clearly. The only part I feel is in need of attention is the drums. A fuller-sounding snare drum and less hi-hat would be nice. ;)

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Android; Linux armv7l; rv:2.1) Gecko/20110318 Firefox/4.0b13pre Fennec/4.0)

Your know what happened when Eddie Van Halen took up keyboards? David Lee Roth left the band and they recorded a bunch of shitty songs with the singer no one gave a fuck about. I think that is all the advice you need.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn, Chris, you're putting out some fine clips lately. It doesn't sound like the choir and guitars are stepping on each other to me, at all. I can hear both clearly. The only part I feel is in need of attention is the drums. A fuller-sounding snare drum and less hi-hat would be nice. ;)
The drums are just a glorified metronome right now. I'm heading out to AZ for a month, and since I can't really record there, my plan is to work drums at night from my hotel. :yesway:

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
That sounds awesome and I don't hear anything wrong with that from a mix standpoint. The synths really fill that space well with your lead, IMO. I think I'm hearing a little Queensryche in that clip. Very Operation Mindcrime to me. :yesway:

·
18,790 Posts
Yep, sounds fine to me. Rhythm guitar isn't really super-in-your-face, but it shouldn't be in that kind of situation. You could bump the rhythm guitars up a bit and the synths down a bit and it would still sound fine, just with the guitars being more the focus and the synth being in the background but still audible.

·
I think too much
1,881 Posts
FWIW, it may just be the synth voicings. I noticed that as the voices got higher in pitch, they start to fight with your solo level.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Android; Linux armv7l; rv:2.1) Gecko/20110318 Firefox/4.0b13pre Fennec/4.0)

Your know what happened when Eddie Van Halen took up keyboards? David Lee Roth left the band and they recorded a bunch of shitty songs with the singer no one gave a fuck about. I think that is all the advice you need.
for truth

1 - 12 of 12 Posts