Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it seems people recommend 6666 for gain, low, mid, highs.

Up to this point i have been fine with that as a generic high gain tone. But i would like more character to it.

But i can't say i understand or can verbalize how the bright, crunch buttons shape the tone. Nor can i put into words what presence and resonance does.

In addition to this. Are there recommended settings for blues, zeppelin, or 80s hair metal? What tones are realistic for this amp?

I have some basic pedals od808, ce5 chorus, way huge delay, phase 90, evh f langer

I also just recieved an hd 500 but waiting on a power supply for it.

Any tips would be appreciated.

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
Boost the shit out of it. Put the gain around 3-4 (number, not o'clock). I liked to boost the mids a bit higher than the bass and treble. Find where you like those, boost the mids a bit, and hammer it with a boost. It is absolutely glorious that way.

Take that 808, put the gain all the way down, maybe a hair up, depending on how the pedal works, volume cranked, and tone at noon.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Boost the shit out of it. Put the gain around 3-4 (number, not o'clock). I liked to boost the mids a bit higher than the bass and treble. Find where you like those, boost the mids a bit, and hammer it with a boost. It is absolutely glorious that way.

Take that 808, put the gain all the way down, maybe a hair up, depending on how the pedal works, volume cranked, and tone at noon.
Pretty much what he said. I play mainly on the clean channel with the crunch in, gain at 4-5. Boost it with a tubescreamer as describe above. Now a thread started a few days ago about the MXR 10 band eq pedal. Buy one. Put it in the fx loop and slide the 16k band all the way down. Gets rid of all that fizz. Boost the mids a bit for a good 80s cock rock tone.

As far as maybe a blues setting? hmm. run it on the clean channel with the bright switch on but on clean....not crunch. Boost it with your overdrive like described above. Push the pre gain to 4-6ish

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty much wha he said. I play mainly on the clean channel with the crunch in, gain at 4-5. Boost it with a tubescreamer as describe above. Now a thread started a few days ago about the MXR 10 band eq pedal. Buy one. Put it in the fx loop and slide the 16k band all the way down. Gets rid of all that fizz. Boost the mids a bit for a good 80s cock rock tone.

As far as maybe a blues setting? hmm. run it on the clean channel with the bright switch on but on clean....not crunch. Boost it with your overdrive like described above. Push the pre gain to 4-6ish
Oh i forgot i have the mxr 10 band eq. Thanks i will give that a try.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks! Is that channel 1 or 2?

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
I just used the same settings for both. The green channel is way drier, so you may have to tweak the EQ a bit, but the principal is the same.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
One thing to remember is the EQ in most amps is interactive. That is to say, when you turn up the treble, you're also turning DOWN the mid and bass and affecting the frequencies they adjust slightly. This makes for great variances in tone even when changing things slightly. Works the same for the other controls. The higher the bass, the more muted the treble becomes and the mids get pulled up slightly.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
One thing to remember is the EQ in most amps is interactive. That is to say, when you turn up the treble, you're also turning DOWN the mid and bass and affecting the frequencies they adjust slightly. This makes for great variances in tone even when changing things slightly. Works the same for the other controls. The higher the bass, the more muted the treble becomes and the mids get pulled up slightly.
i did not know that. I just always assumed they were independant - the bass knob affects the lower frequencies, treble affects the top etc.

:goodlord:

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
my settings for the last few years have remained pretty much the same:
With an OD out front, gain at 0, volume at full, tone around the middle..like the others said... Amp settings: gain at 4, low at 7, mid at 2.5 , high at 8.5/9 , resonance 7.5, presence 8.5
These settings have yielded crushing death metal tones for me for years now, and since recently getting the mxr 10 band eq I've had to make some adjustments, but these settings work perfectly for my style...of course you need a solid noise gate tho ;)

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
i did not know that. I just always assumed they were independant - the bass knob affects the lower frequencies, treble affects the top etc.

:goodlord:
There is a lot to it. Check out these videos by one of my favourite YouTubers, goes by the name Uncle Doug. Makes everything technical about valve amps so easy to understand.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
well you already have an 808, you should be good. Maybe the tone you are lacking is in your hand technique?

did you replace the preamp tube v1 with a Tung-Sol? It made a noticeable difference in my 6505+112

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
In addition to this. Are there recommended settings for blues, zeppelin, or 80s hair metal? What tones are realistic for this amp?
I don't know if it'll do a Zeppelin tone. I just find low gain tones out of the 5150 (even on the crunch channel) have this weird neutered sound, where you can tell it's a high gain amp that's not being pushed hard enough.

A hair metal tone is easy IMHO, and perfect for the 5150. Use the crunch channel for your rhythm tone - it'll be a bit cleaner and dryer, and is kind of like a hotter Marshall. I'd start with the red setting on the crunch channel, turn the gain fairly high, and go for a bit brighter tone. Then use the lead channel for leads (and be one of the few who does :lol:) and you're good to go.

For high gain tones, I like my tones fairly dry, but I'd use a boost (gain: 0, tone: 5, volume 8-10), and run the gain around 3-4, bass around 5-6, mids around 7, highs around 5, and keep the presence and depth both around 5. That's all on the lead channel. It's pretty neutral so you can do a lot of styles with it, and it sounds a bit dry on its own but sits in a band mix really well.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Good point guys. I was just looking for info to get in the neighbourhood and then tweak from there.
Not sure about everyone else, but I have found that the 5150 doesn't respond nearly the same to an overdrive pedal as other amps do. I used my Fulltone OCD in front of the clean 5150 and it did not have the tone I was looking for. That being said, try your TS808 in front of the amp set to pristine clean (pre-gain at 3/10) for a bluesier tone. I found that rolling back the volume on either lead or crunch has a nice overdriven tone to it. It won't sound like 70's rock (because the amp isn't made for that) but it should still sound good and useable.

While the EQ is important, going from Led Zep to EVH to Gojira is also a matter of gain. Find the right amount of saturation for what you want to do, and then mess with the EQ.

Also I don't know if it's been mentioned, but presence is basically a second treble knob, and resonance a bass/low mid knob. These are for the power amp, and come in very handy for dialling in your cab. With my JCM800 cab I kept the resonance fairly low and the presence at about 4.

·
Black Aquaman
795 Posts
There is a lot to it. Check out these videos by one of my favourite YouTubers, goes by the name Uncle Doug. Makes everything technical about valve amps so easy to understand.
I though I was the only one that had heard of this wizard! Very knowledgeable older gent. His videos are thorough and on the money. I second this recommendation.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Mostly things have been covered above, but tackling a couple of your points that seem to have been skipped over, plus expanding a couple of the others:

Bright: Quite literally what it says on the box, it switches the voicing to a brighter and more trebley setting.

Crunch: Switches channel 1 between clean and overdrive. I prefer using the crunch setting for rhythm and the lead channel for leads, you can get a massive amount more clarity to your rhythm playing that way. Massive amounts of gain does not equal a brutal metal tone, you just end up with an over compressed and fizzy sound.

Presence & Resonance: These two controls (and especially the resonance) are the key to getting a great tone from a 5150/6505. As Budda said, these are controls for your poweramp and both work by providing negative feedback from the output stage back into the front end of the poweramp. The presence control sticks lower frequencies back into the front end, resulting in more pronounced high frequencies in the output, the resonance sticks higher frequencies back into the front end, resulting in more pronounced low frequencies. Presence can be thought of as a "cut" control (more high end = more cut through a band mix), but go easy or you can take peoples heads off with the high end. Resonance is the "tight/boom" control, less low end = a tighter tone, more low end = kick you in the chest thud, but too much makes your tone mushy.

Crank it up, tweak away and mess with things until you like the tone :metal:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts