Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Nine EMG Guitars
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys make your recordings sound awesome, as we all know. My question is your live sound. How close does your live sound come to your recorded tone. What compromises do you make. Thanks.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
I personally see live as a completely different animal and prefer it to be a bit more raw (not to be confused with muddy or indecipherable) but in the studio, you can add layers, and use as many amps as you want, change snares and snare tunings for each song, etc.... live...not so much. You take what sounds best as a whole, make sure the amp EQ sounds good as a whole and not just on their own. I would not object to paying to some tracks live, such as keys... actually I will be doing that since my singer (who is also our part time keyboard player) is now full time singer/bassist....he's not Geddy Lee, so for the few hammond organ parts, we'll just play with tracks (and our drummer to a click). But trying to replicate all the layers and the exact tone etc, is not only nearly impossible, but it's not really needed. People come to shows to be entertained, not hear the CD exactly as the one they purchased IMO.

It seems for me, I am on completely opposite ends of the spectrum from myself between studio and live. In the studio, I use lots of different amps, VSTs of amps, compressors, reverb, delay, flanger, wah, Lots of shit. But live, I will carry with me amp, guitars, flanger, tuner, and I have played shows just straight into my amp before....some of my songs seem to call for that live. I can get away with it being polished and such in the studio, but live it just needs a little extra grit to it, take away the flanger, make it pushed instead of clean, etc.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I've found that live needs to be much simpler. In a busy rock/metal gig, people aren't going to hear the difference between a phaser and a chorus, or an analog versus a digital delay.

I tend to go for a simple setup of sounds: clean, dirty, swirly/swooshy, and delay. Clean/dirty is self explanatory, and swirly/swooshy generally a modulation effect designed to add color. Delay is for thickening up lead lines or building textures clean.

Any more than that and it's gonna get lost in the bass, drums, or second guitar.

·
Guitar noob
2,202 Posts

·
Nine EMG Guitars
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I'm talking about live guitar tone. Thanks for the good answers. I tend to keep it raw live. Just sometimes I long for that polished album tone live. I was wondering if anyone gets it. I had an axe fx going live for awhile but I found myself missing the whole raw power of a half stack.

·
18,790 Posts
Definitely more raw live. With my current rig, I won't even have a clean channel live, even though I have clean parts. Just a single channel head that I boost with an overdrive for more gain, and use an EQ pedal to bring down the level when I want to clean up a bit. Delay, phaser, and a wah. I also have my piezo rig, though it won't be used all the time.

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
Wirelessly posted

eleven59 said:
Definitely more raw live. With my current rig, I won't even have a clean channel live, even though I have clean parts. Just a single channel head that I boost with an overdrive for more gain, and use an EQ pedal to bring down the level when I want to clean up a bit. Delay, phaser, and a wah. I also have my piezo rig, though it won't be used all the time.
:agreed:
I do the same, boost the channel and add wah, or other effects as needed, and back off the volume and OD to clean it up. works like a charm.

4,429 Posts
When I play live I use clean channel with no eq, my rthym channel with the graphic eq always on, and a lead tone where I turn the "preset" eq on and off to get a more or less defined sound. I also use the volume knob a lot with medium gain pickups.

In studio I'll switch out pickups per application and generally wire them with no volume knob. Also I'm constantly altering amp settings where live i just stick to my main 3 channels and switch the eq on and off on lead channel as needed. I don't switch channels on the go as the noise of the channel switch is obvious so I use overdubs when using other channels.

My main go to tones are the same though in the studio or live.

·
I Am The Tweaker
490 Posts
I remember back in '88 or '89, I went to see Queensryche open for Metallica and the one thing that stuck in my mind about the show is how Queensryche's tone sounded identical to their recordings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts