Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Nexus One, and it's got Froyo 2.2 installed, it works great but curiosity is killing me...I'm curious about rooting the phone and installing Cyanogen on the phone, but naturally I'm nervous because this would be my first time and I don't know if I would really gain anything useful from rooting and loading Cyanogen vs. keeping the stock Froyo ROM on there...any of you android gurus, yay or nay? What would I gain vs. what I would lose?

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Not an Android Guru but I'll tell you already 10-1 everyone advocates rooting the phone is one of the best things you can do with it.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not an Android Guru but I'll tell you already 10-1 everyone advocates rooting the phone is one of the best things you can do with it.
I figured that but I guess I wanted to know moreso the WHY behind it. :lol: sure I can root it and load a different ROM or whatever, but what is that going to get me that I don't already have? Is it going to be that much better?

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
It depends on the ROM you load. Most custom ROM's are built to improve on what is currently officially available. Either performance wise, or feature wise.

The Nexus One isn't really the first Android phone I'd want/need to root though, as it isn't locked down with carrier settings and features, like an AT&T android device would be. Some carriers even prevent the use of some android features, such as tethering, which is reason enough to root.

If you're fine with how your device performs, and aren't interested in extra features found in the custom ROM's, then just leave it as is, but have a look at the Nexus forum on xda-developers.com and see if anything that is mentioned in the custom ROM's peak your interest.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah if I did it I would just put Cyanogen on it, definitely seems to be the most popular ROM out there. Got some thinking to do...

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
It doesn't matter what's popular. If it did, you'd be sporting an iPhone. :lol:

Look for what will benefit you.

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
I think you would lose your warranty? Which can be nice to have sometimes.
I mean, I had my phone on service 3 times in one year.
That was my iphone though, haven't had any problems with my htc desire ;)
*knock on wood*

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
It only voids the warranty if the root is to blame for the damage.

So if you try to root your device and brick it, then your software warranty isn't valid.

If you root, and then your screen stops working over time, then your hardware warranty is still valid.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I rooted it and unlocked the bootloader on it and installed the latest Cyanogen...the whole process took about an hour and half. So far I am extremely pleased with the results, the ROM seems much beefier and faster while at the same time being more efficient and taking up less memory/storage space. I don't know if I could recommend this for "skinned" versions of android, but if your phone runs stock vanilla android and you are a techy guy that wants unimaginable flexibility and tweakability, i highly recommend this! :yesway:

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Does rooting remove htc sense? I'm not a big fan of sense..
If there is a custom rom for your phone without Sense, then yes.

Here's how my Droid looks right now:

The rom I'm using is Ultimate Droid Mod, with the Evolution theme and Launcher Pro with custom icons to match the theme. Love it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts