Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Today in, "Guitar concepts from history that never caught on"

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Dominic 
#1 ·
See less See more
#6 ·
Interesting. I imagine sliding up the neck is very easy, down slightly less so, though bends would be tough.

Leon - depending on what sort of resin they reinforced that board with, it could wear a VERY long time.

#8 ·
Interesting. I imagine sliding up the neck is very easy, down slightly less so, though bends would be tough.

Leon - depending on what sort of resin they reinforced that board with, it could wear a VERY long time.
You know, I originally thought the same thing, like "this negates a bunch of techniques, especially slides", but I thought about it a bit more and if I would have to guess I suspect it's actually the same sort of feel/functionality as a scalloped fretboard. Could be completely wrong on that, since none of us have played one we're unlikely to ever find out for sure.

#9 ·
Today in, "Guitar concepts from history that we WISH had never caught on"

#10 ·
The guitar in the OP reminds me of old Applause acoustics, the kind with aluminum fretboards. The frets were machined out of the fretboard, so you couldn't refret them. And of course, guitar strings are much harder than the aluminum board, so they wore out pretty quickly, relatively speaking, and didn't get many crowns before they were basically a fretless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.